+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Genius at Work (No.2)

I'm Geoff.

Is this guy a genius? As far as I'm concerned, he has the right idea about modern 'new build' homes!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-cottages.html

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Is this guy a genius? As far as I'm concerned, he has the right idea about modern 'new build' homes!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-cottages.html
    Having worked for a private house builder now for many years I have seen plenty of naughty goings on and cover ups !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Having worked for a private house builder now for many years I have seen plenty of naughty goings on and cover ups !!
    Ah, but those have always gone on.

I had numerous civil engineering contractors working for me. They tried it on, thinking I was green around the gills, but I'd spent many years doing their work hands on myself, I knew every little wrinkle and soon put them back on the road to righteousness!

I was having a road resurfaced and suspected the contractor was fiddling the aggregate, so I took a bit-mac sample and instead of sending it off to the lab, like the other engineers would have done. I took a handful, washed it in turps and poured vinegar on it. It started fizzing. The contractor had substituted limestone for the specified granite aggregate. He argued the toss of course, but I did the same demo in front of him and he gave in and re-did the work (at his cost of course).
    Last edited by walpurgis; 13-08-2018 at 16:52.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Ah, but those have always gone on.

I had numerous civil engineering contractors working for me. They tried it on, thinking I was green around the gills, but spent many years doing their work hands on myself, I knew every little wrinkle and soon put them back on the road to rightiousness!

I was having road resurfaced and suspected the contractor was fiddling the aggregate, so I took a bit-mac sample and instead of sending it off to the lab, like the other engineers would have done. I took a handful, washed it in turps and poured vinegar on it. It started fizzing. The contractor had substituted limestone for the specified granite aggregate. He argued the toss of course, but I did the same demo in front of him and he gave in and re-did the work (at his cost of course).
    In my experience all the contractors working on our sites were ONLY concerned about their profit, they would do whatever possible to inflate it too !! That’s why I resigned, well the contractors were paying for our contract managers holidays and weekends away ( including a fully paid weekend in Amsterdam) with ALL the trimmings ( if you know what I mean )
    Greedy bastards the lot of them.

I'm Geoff.

Yes. One day our contracts manager arrived at work in a new car. An hour later the main contractor's son turned up in a similar new car with only one registration digit difference on the plates. Eyebrows were raised!

I'm Andrew.

Corruption all around!
    One site of 77 plots only had 76 built

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    For that reason, and many others, I wouldn't buy a new-build house if you paid me! Our very first house was a new-build, and we had problems from start to finish, plus we prefer the character and just general style of old properties.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Default Genius at Work (No.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    For that reason, and many others, I wouldn't buy a new-build house if you paid me! Our very first house was a new-build, and we had problems from start to finish, plus we prefer the character and just general style of old properties.

Marco.
    Me neither and certainly never a timber framed one ( I currently live in one )

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm talking about seasoned criminals! Two of them did time for murder (although one did get his reduced to manslaughter on appeal). The others were mostly robbery or drugs. One was GBH but he got it quashed on appeal. The beak in the original trial made a grave error of judgement.
    Fair enough, but they would've probably had a life on the outside then (family, kids, etc), as many who don't, are often more than happy to be imprisoned....

My favourite story is one where the mate in question was caught with about 2 pounds of cocaine in a sealed jar. It took about 12 months before he went to trial, the brief had already told him that he was not going to get away with anything less than a 5 year stint even if he threw himself on the mercy of the court.

Then they brought the evidence out and the jar full of cocaine had next to nothing left in it, just a little residue at the bottom. Mate said he was so happy when he saw that he almost had a heart attack right there in the court. He got slung and the judge gave the cops and the CPS a right bollocking.
    Don't quite get that... Surely the fact that he was caught with it in the first place, with no doubt plenty of police witnesses, was evidence enough of the crime having been committed? The fact that some negligent arses 'lost' the drugs in the interim, before the case coming to court, is surely immaterial?

Besides, I'm sure that with some, erm, 'creative thinking', they could've 'found' some more cocaine to refill the jar, and the accused would've been none the wiser!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    It always amazes me the way they build new dwellings 'inside out': a timber frame and chipboard/plasterboard inner 'wall', with an outer brick façade, which doesn't appear to be load bearing. Anyway, with a lot of new-builds being erected on flood plains, there are always problems with settlement and cracked walls etc.

All done for cheapness. The roof trusses are made of the thinnest of wood, relying on a multiplicity of them in order to support the weight of the roof, thereby restricting useful loft space. My parents' 1960s bungalow (which usually have larger roofs) had its roof supported by two massive triangular trusses using 4" square timbers: allowing lots of useful loft space. Not so my place - there are so many 'stringers' (to stop the roof 'doing the splits') placed at crotch level, it makes moving about inside the roof very difficult and greatly discourages storing anything there.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast