+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for Valve phonostage to play MONO records only

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Whatever the mechanics (and the above is a useful observation which would suggest that where the coils are rotated as in the Soundsmith approach, then only one coil is used for output) it's pretty clear that when Ortofon write True Mono in caps and have a special page for all their cartridges, they are obviously NOT talking about simple strapping of a stereo cartridge. Likewise Koetsu who do the same (and who like Ortofon don't have a Miyajima/vintage-like approach with single generator and horizontal only motion), and Lyra who have two mono coils (their approach is documented, Jonathan Carr has several write-ups out there). And Audio Technica whose AT33 monos are true mono as well (I've also owned these in both LP and SP form).

Or do you claim to know more than the engineers behind these illustrious companies? Are they all putting lies out there?
    What is your problem? It is very simply a question of definition -HOW do we define a true mono design and WHAT is a true mono cartridge in 2017 ? When we have got a definition for something then we can evaluate everything and anything by this definition. That's all. And the opening question for discussion in this thread was if a SPU Mono -not Koetsu, Lyra, Miyajima, Soundsmith- is a true mono cartridge or not...? You can't answer it and Ortofon doesn't address this issue either. So why bother...?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by forsell View Post
    What is your problem? It is very simply a question of definition -HOW do we define a true mono design and WHAT is a true mono cartridge in 2017 ? When we have got a definition for something then we can evaluate everything and anything by this definition. That's all. And the opening question for discussion in this thread was if a SPU Mono -not Koetsu, Lyra, Miyajima, Soundsmith- is a true mono cartridge or not...? You can't answer it and Ortofon doesn't address this issue either. So why bother...?
    Knock it off George. The first four words and the last three in your post are unnecessary and not helpful!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Knock it off George. The first four words and the last three in your post are unnecessary and not helpful!
    No worries Geoff. Life's too short to bother with trolls, I've finally found out how to add someone to the ignore list, in a decade here I've never felt the need to use it before.

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    No worries Geoff. Life's too short to bother with trolls, I've finally found out how to add someone to the ignore list, in a decade here I've never felt the need to use it before.

Moderated...
    edited out...

forsell, any more from you and your out! (struth)
    Last edited by struth; 07-12-2017 at 14:53.

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by forsell View Post
    edited out...

forsell, any more from you and your out!
    Delete my account please. I am too tired and bored of this "elite club" of a handful "senior members" and adms who think that with +2000 posts they automatically acquire a right for insults and offensive behaviour. Cheers and Good Luck.

I'm Grant.

you were the one handing out the insults. its same rules for everyone.. bye
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I've come late to this 'discussion', so my contibution is probably post hoc, but if the question is to whether the Ortofon SPU Mono (or however it is designated) is a true mono cartridge, then the answer is simple: undo the screw holding the belly plate in position and look inside.

Are there only two wires connecting to a single coil arranged to respond to lateral groove motion? If yes, then it is a true mono cartridge.

I can't see why Ortofon would go to the bother of adding a second coil to respond to vertical motion only, because no mono records are cut using vertical modulation. And to replay a stereo record, the coils would have to be connected in a sum and difference arrangement to extract the LH and RH signals.

I probably only have about less than 50 mono LPs, so I'm happy to use a stereo cartridge and the 'mono' switch on my preamp to play them.

There is no need for these discussions to descend into rancour and acrimony.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-12-2017 at 15:52. Reason: Addition
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Just got back to this myself. I cant believe how far off topic this thread has gone. I only wanted suggestions for a mono phonostage, crikey!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Charlie.

Like Rexton, I am also rather befuddled about the goings on. Somehow this thread about true valve mono phono stages has drifted into a bit of "handbags" (as one would call it in rugby) about mono cartridge design.

Forsell is correct in that the original mono cartridge design only included one coil to read lateral modulation on the groove. Many of the modern mono cartridges (not Mijayima) have two coils with the coils rotated 45 degrees, so that the vertical modulation signals cancel out each other (except they don't quite cancel each other out perfectly, according to some). The use of two coils may be a manufacturing cost saving, so that cartridge makers don't have to tool up to make a single coil design for vanishingly small numbers of sales.

Forsell's point is not unreasonable and I'm afraid that I have a bit of sympathy with him. I don't think his posts were particularly abusive - bit forthright perhaps. OK maybe I'll get banned now.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Like Rexton, I am also rather befuddled about the goings on. Somehow this thread about true valve mono phono stages has drifted into a bit of "handbags" (as one would call it in rugby) about mono cartridge design.

Forsell is correct in that the original mono cartridge design only included one coil to read lateral modulation on the groove. Many of the modern mono cartridges (not Mijayima) have two coils with the coils rotated 45 degrees, so that the vertical modulation signals cancel out each other (except they don't quite cancel each other out perfectly, according to some). The use of two coils may be a manufacturing cost saving, so that cartridge makers don't have to tool up to make a single coil design for vanishingly small numbers of sales.

Forsell's point is not unreasonable and I'm afraid that I have a bit of sympathy with him. I don't think his posts were particularly abusive - bit forthright perhaps. OK maybe I'll get banned now.
    Surprised you look at it that way Charlie. Rexton, the OP, asked for some advice on getting the best out of his SPU GM Mono mkIIi. In post 3 a relatively new member decided to piss on his chips by asserting that the SPU Mono GM was no better than any old stereo cartridge strapped for mono. As someone with more experience than most in getting the best out of mono I thought I would challenge that. My background is not technical (my first degree was in music, I was an organ scholar, and later became a journalist and, post MBA, a management consultant - I'm no engineer and have never claimed to be one) but I have been through a shed load of kit in this area, in my efforts to get the best out of a large collection of early microgroove mono LPs as well as a fair smattering of 78s.

Are you saying Charlie that like a certain poster you agree that the entire range of Ortofon 'true mono' cartridges are no better than any old stereo cartridge with the mono button pressed? Because that's what I was challenging. (On the basis of having owned a few of them as well as other mono cartridges, at one point I even had a dedicated mono system).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast