Just pondering what valves to put in my Radford STA100 (just to while away the time).

I already have plans to try a quad of the new Sophia KT88-ST tubes. I'm a KT88 fan from way back ... I'm hoping Will will set up the amp to take KT120s should I want to check those out in it, but first of all I want to use it with the valves it was designed for. The Sophias are expensive but not so expensive as GECs.

Input valve is an ECC88, followed (rather unusually, possibly uniquely) with a pair of EF184 pentodes, which provide the splitter function.

I have a supply of pristine, NOS EF184 Mullards, thanks to Valvebloke's eagle eyes who sent me in their direction.

However the ECC88 is a puzzle - I'm a bit confused about what I can use in there. For example I've had great results in the past with assorted JAN 6922s (both Phillips and Sylvania) - but I dont know if they can be used as ECC88s despite what some ebay sellers have in their listings. Also there's the 6DJ8 which I think is just another name for the ECC88 - or is it?

Can anyone enlighten me here? And possibly suggest some sensible choices for this position.

I've never really been one for exotic, fragile of 'NOS' valves after a few bad experiences years ago where stuff went 'phut' at great expense within weeks or even days. So new production even if expensive could be sensible, otherwise decent sounding but bulletproof is the priority. I only need two.

Sophia KT88 looks cool but of course won't be visible in the Radford: