+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ESL 57s will be added to my system soon. What to expect?

I'm Brian.

I heard Alan's system , with the speakers in this position , in January and it sounds very good indeed . A bit of a shock when you first clap eyes on them though
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Based on my experience, don't necessarily dismiss the idea of wall mounting.
    I agree that it would seem to be far from ideal for dipoles - but I once visited someone with Quad 63 speakers mounted actually in specially made wall recesses the same size as the speakers with their fronts flush to the wall. I thought to myself "that is going to sound awful" but actually the sound was very good. I have no idea why or how, but it worked fine.
    Certainly worth a try with your 57s.
    I have seen Quad 57s positioned in alcoves each side of a chimney breast and close to the wall, but there was sound absorbing material fixed to the wall behind the speakers. The 57s can be used close to a wall but there must be some sound absorbing material used between the speaker and the wall. However too get the best performance from the Quads there is no substitute for free space.

Also the treble dispersion in the vertical plane is poor (the beam width is only about 7 degrees), so to avoid the 'letter box' effect the speaker pannels have to positioned so they aim at your ears when sat in your listening position. The dispersion in the horizontal plane is fine (beamwidth is 35 degrees), so to say the Quads only have one 'sweet spot' and can be enjoyed by only one persion is a bit of an exaggeration.

One other thing which I neglected to mention is the limit to the voltage swing produced by the amplifier. The voltage limit is 33V peak, or about 20V (rms), which implies a maximum power of 50W. It would be wise to check the maximum voltage swing your Amcron amplifier can produce.
    Last edited by Barry; 30-11-2017 at 21:49. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Peter.

Thanks. I wll look into sound absorbers for corner placement. I like the idea of hanging it from the ceiling. I will check into the amp measurements, too.

I'm Alan.

I'll post a picture up of how I attach the suspension cables tomorrow

I'm Peter.

Thanks very much Alan. Much appreciated!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    I Think mine would be placed with a similar distance between them as Alan's but "toed" in more towards my listening spot. As for widgets , I don't know if mine will come with them.

I would like to see a shot of how Alan has attached the wires to the backsides of the ESL 57s, so I can replicate that. I have a wood ceiling which would make it fairly easy to screw wire hooks on. I just have to make sure that the Weight of the ESLs doesn't make ceiling fall down.
    If you are careful & can be bothered to figure it out - you should be able to determine where the ceiling joists are above, usually spaced something like 400-450mm centres.
    Rather than just screwing through the timber you may be able to optimise the positioning to achieve a really solid fix into the joists above.
    If you can't be bothered or have a decent access above the ceiling - then screw/bolt through the ceiling but place some form of batten or patress in the gap between the celling/floor joists to fix through or into (it just helps to spread the weight across a wider area & less likely to rip your ceiling down - difference between a point load and a UDL).

I'm Peter.

I will try to elevate the ESL 57s on shelves first. It will not be as elegant-looking as hanging them from the ceiling, but it will do the trick while also preserving some shelf space for books behind them. And the books may well work as dampeners?

If that does not work well or it is inconvenient, I will resort to suspending them from the ceiling. And not to worry: I will make sure that this will be done securely as a lasting thing. My wife would not tread lightly, if the ceiling in my office came down because I hadn't been careful enough.

I'm Chris.

Old memories for me.
    When I started my cafe in ....'79!....I worked partly at home (at night/early mornings) and had ELSs on my long work surface....JUST like giant headphones!
    Amazing sounds. Incredible detail. They don't seem to get loud, just clearer (until you hear them from next room, being LOUD!)
    They should be lovely. I remember Boz Scaggs sounding great. Funny how things stick.

Then I got Klipschorns in '81........until 97.
    Chris.

I'm Peter.

I hope for the giant heaphone effect surely! Thanks for the story.

EDIT: Has anyone driven ESL 57s with a small Triode amp like the Audio Note One kit amp? Is sports a mere 7.5 watts.
    Last edited by Rosewind; 04-12-2017 at 20:08. Reason: Question added

I'm Alan.

Default Hanging 57's

Sorry for the delay but here are a couple of pics showing the method of suspension.
    I have used some large eye bolts:

P1030638.jpgP1030639.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast