+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Valve Wizard MM valve PCB build

I'm Alan.

So glad you got there Oli, 'He can't have all the credit though! Telefunken must get some too ', I'll have to bow to that one.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

So glad you got there Oli, 'He can't have all the credit though! Telefunken must get some too ', I'll have to bow to that one.

I tried the Tesla and as good as they are, the Telefunken are cleaner. Nice options to have though. Plus, my valve draw is filling up!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Conclusion

As I sit here basking in the glorious sweet sound of my new phono stage, I thought it only fair to give a conclusion of what's gone on with it and where it stands now.

Well, to start off, when this was built and being tested and played I felt just enough confidence to sell the Jolida on. It wasn't confidence in the Phonostage itself, oh no, that sounded a little small on the sound stage and resolution wasn't on a par with the Jolida either. It was also a little too vague with the treble. My confidence came from a chat with Mr Firebottle, who convinced me that his mods would open and expand this suckers sound stage, improve the resolution and bring out it's best version of itself.

He was very right.

He can't have all the credit though! Telefunken must get some too because even though the Tesla valves are superb for £25 a pair, they are not on the Telefunken level. Crystal clean sound. HF extension and bass to dive for (because it's soooo deep) and the MIDs are pure valve tone. Unrivalled in my experience. Not warm just transparent and sweet.

Playing "Summertime" by Duke Ellington brings a trumpet sound the likes of which have been unheard of in my home. Clarinets, oboes and any other instrument I name have pure unyielding tone. The breath of the player diminishes at the end of the note and the detailed decay of his efforts to hold the note is apparent and captivating. The echos of the auditorium where it was recorded, bounce and reverb and if I close my eyes, I feel the space.

"A day in the life" The Beatles - John Lennon wrote this song and sang it to me today. I can see him sat at his piano, looking forward and singing into the microphone. The panning sensation as he moves his head and the impact the hammer has on the piano wire is vivid and Holographic. The way the orchestra build up to the Middle eight is cacophonous and when Paul McCartney sings about having a cup of tea and catching the bus, I'm with him, on the commute. The final note is a multitude of pianos playing the same note in different octaves. There were more pianos today than there has been before, ever.

The truth is, Alan suggested linearity is the key to a phonostage performing at its best and whatever he did today to this phono stage is magical. It's also a mystery!

The Wizard cost ......... probably maybe £250-£350, not counting all the free hours of Alan's time he spent on the PS and getting the RIAA EQ right (it's still not quite accurate but it'll be done shortly) add the cost of the valves £130ish and it's adding up BUT it's right up there with the very best I've heard and that's me done. No more buying phonostages. It's really that good to me. I love it. I may be tempted to re-home the guts into a smaller enclosure and will definitely add a power button but other than that, i am one happy bunny.

The project has been enlightening and educational. I'm not up to scratch but I definitely hold more knowledge now than ever before. My respect for ANYONE who builds and designs these things is at the highest level. It's a labour of love.

I highly recommend a project like this if you're interested in improving your knowledge but suggest you have someone you can call or converse with if you get stuck. Mr Firebottle, you are a legend. Thanks for all of your help. Again! 🤣

Sounds as if it's fantastic, congrats.
    Alan Firebottle is a guru, I've learned loads from him
    Rega RP8, Rega Ania MC Cart
    Moded Lenco GL75, Jelco 750D, Denon 103
    DIY Transcendent Sound Phono, Firebottle OTP II Phono
    The Truth Linestage
    Firebottle AIR
    DIY Matteis Aspen HDL with Jordan Eikona 2 drivers
    Usher Dancer Mini 2

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks Neil, it's really good. I was a little bit in shock at how good it is. I'm very pleased and yes, guru is right.

Last edited by Bigman80; 10-01-2018 at 10:17.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    ... guru is tight.
    Oi, I haven't touched a drop .........

Bigman80 Guest

Lol

Bigman80 Guest

Nice new power button. Mmmmm. Nice

New RCA plug sockets too. I'll put a pic on tomorrow

Bigman80 Guest

A little development has taken place. The Wizard will now have a JFET MC stage fitted to convert it from MM to MC. After spending a lot of time with different HA's and SUTs, I really feel this approach offers the best of both worlds and I can't seem to find any reason it's not as good as any other method I've tried.

The Circuit Design is being kindly donated by Firebottle from his improved Vivant and this unit has largely been responsible for my decision to go down that route.

The Vivant has been tweaked to improve the function of the JFET input and has been very successful in lowering the background noise and cleaning up the signal. This was something that came to light after using a Valve HA with the Vivant, which instantaneously highlighted the flaws of the previous arrangement and demonstrated what is possible when the signal is processed well.

The result is an incredibly clean sounding stage with space and flow. The fluid nature of the SUTs I tried seems to still be present although a slightly presentation and the enhanced sound I experienced with the HA is completely absent. Timbral qualities have improved and the lower level detail is now apparent rather than masked. I am really looking forward to seeing what this will do to the Wizard.

It's a compromise of the good bits of both SUTs and Headamps but it'll be the end game for this phonostage. As long as it's as good as in the Vivant

Bigman80 Guest

Yesterday saw the Wizard transferred to its permanent case.

It's steel and has a steel divider in the chassis to separate the PS from the PCB. I chose his design to eliminate the humbit had been suffering with. To ensure things went as planned, I bought a Transformer shield from AliExpress and a high quality audiophile TF from Toriody.pl. Have to say Tomasz was great to deal with but the Toroid had really short cables when it came. Must ask for longer!

Once again, Alan helped massively in the relocation task. His experience of building phonostages and the like, is very gratefully received.

Outcome, no hum, no mechanical buzz, and nothing but a smile on my face.

This proves to me that it is easily possible to have the PSU and PCB in one case. You just need high quality components and excellent shielding.
    Last edited by Bigman80; 25-05-2018 at 09:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456