+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best system you've heard?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Yes Geoff. I remember hearing a Naim active system in Sheffield years back and it was extremely uninspiring. I think they may have been SBL's or whatever.
    Yeah. The SBL is a funny one. Some seem to like them a lot. Others, like me, think they sound like a fart under a blanket .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Then again; I remember a system based on a Cranfield Rock and Celestion SL6's with an amplifier called the Legend. Oh my...!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Is it just me, but when I hear mega expensive speakers from the likes of ATC, Avalon and Wilson for instance, they just don't sound that wonderful.
    No its not just you Geoff. I have heard plenty of mega bucks systems and the leave you thinking blaaahh, cant wait to get back to my own humble affair.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Then again; I remember a system based on a Cranfield Rock and Celestion SL6's with an amplifier called the Legend. Oh my...!
    Funny you should say that. I had an Audio Concepts P300 'Legend' power amp driving Celestion SL600Si speakers for a while. Fed by a Garrard 401/Ittok/Technics EPC-305MC cartridge into a Rappaport Pre-2 pre-amp. That all worked rather well.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Funny you should say that. I had an Audio Concepts P300 'Legend' power amp driving Celestion SL600Si speakers for a while. Fed by a Garrard 401/Ittok/Technics EPC-305MC cartridge into a Rappaport Pre-2 pre-amp. That all worked rather well.
    Yep, that's the very one with the matching preamp. Really miss those days back then.

I'm Geoff.

Yep, that's the very one with the matching preamp. Really miss those days back then.
    The Audio Concepts pre-amp was a bit of a dud, thick and flat sounding. But the power amp was very good. I had a couple of the pre-amps and moved them on sharpish.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    No its not just you Geoff. I have heard plenty of mega bucks systems and the leave you thinking blaaahh, cant wait to get back to my own humble affair.
    Yes James, same here. I remember being at a Ramada show years ago walking in on a Tube Technology display. Jesus, Synergy monoblocks with what looked like additional thousands of pounds worth of gear. My then wife and I just turned around and left. It was such a let down. Now those Kelly speakers...!!! Sat there for ages.

I'm Shaun.

The Audio Concepts pre-amp was a bit of a dud, thick and flat sounding. But the power amp was very good. I had a couple of the pre-amps and moved them on sharpish.
    To be honest Geoff it was the SL6's that knocked me for six. Their midrange and voice was just stunning as I remember it. Of course it was decades back now. I have never heard Joan Armatrading sound that good ever again.

I'm Geoff.

To be honest Geoff it was the SL6's that knocked me for six. Their midrange and voice was just stunning as I remember it. Of course it was decades back now. I have never heard Joan Armatrading sound that good ever again.
    The SL6's were very good. My SL600Si speakers were largely similar, but built into 'aerolam' cabinets. As you say, the mid was excellent. The extreme top was a little short on resolution though, probably the mass of that copper foil dome kicking in.

I'm Shaun.

My only real experience of reliving those days was helping out at a branch of Sevenoaks Sound and Vision in Hull back around 1997. I was so spoiled by my experiences back in the early/mid eighties that I found the whole Hull thing totally uninspired. This was the time though that I owned a Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with their early aluminium Spacearm. Sounded good but nowhere near as good as my older Logic DM101. My current sound system is right up where I want to be but I look back at those eighties days with a huge amount of affection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast