+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for an amp to suit my Tannoy Berkeleys?

I'm Dave.

I have a Pathos Logos II with Hi-DAC and a Krell Vanguard Digital on my website. Both have a had no more than a few minutes use and both are half price.

Yes, I'm losing money but need the space.

I'm tony.

Marco,.
    Id rather take a a hammer to ma boz than listen to some of the classical pish thats punted round here.

I was referring to the rolling stones song regards guitar!!!

What a filthy piece....dirty pants to the sides quikie sex rock track....now added to my spoyify blues playlist.

Almost like offering weans smack....rock heroine!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Aye, nae borra. Away an fire on some John Martyn - love some of his live stuff, where he's pished/doped oot his big bawheid, and tellin' the audience tae fuck off

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm tony.

Yup....live at Leeds ripping the pish out danny t and the students-almost make you greet the big man has passed.

I'm tony.

the lhe live small hours on youtube.....just him and a echo plex-ffs.

If that doesnt do something to to you yer goiny have to tae check fur a pulse!!!!

Get yer arse up this neck of the woods fer a chin wag/grub and tunes.....ye know ye want toooo

Aye, the big man wiz class. Ah defo will breenge up tae Glesga soon and visit ye. Love gawn back tae ma hame toon. Ah miss it sometimes, so ah dae!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    I use Tannoys 15" Time compensated 3838 drivers in my GRF Memory reflex cabinets, these are rated at 92db anachoic and 95db domestic sensitivity.

My room is quite small 3.85 x 3.5 I drive these speakers effectively with either a Nick Gorham 300B Set Monoblocks (9watts/ channel) or a Bel Canto Set 40 (37 watts / channel)

Nicks amps sound glorious in the mid and high frequency range but the Bel Canto has it in the bass region very much as you would expect.

In summary I think SET amps can work with these speakers but as with all things Hi Fi the amp / speaker combo has to be tailored to your own room. I am sure in a large 6m x 6m lounge both these amps may struggle but in my room they are lovely.
    Unless the 300B’s are wrapped in solid State....
    Why not innovate and update the classic valve circuits?
    Power supply, power supply, power supply.

As Marco says, valves done right dont fit any stereotype?
    A bit of a sesh this evening, some earlier neighbour troubling ‘brown note’ Chemical Brothers always goes down well, especially when Im breaking in new kit.

And as Martin (Macca) says, might not be the cheapest way to do it (its the music thst hits your lugs that matters, however you get there) but the Valve route does work, despite the stereotypes you hear bandied about.

Hear you on amp/speaker/room interaction...its an important balance to get right.

Radfords a good shout btw.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 02-12-2017 at 09:45.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

There's nothing soft or woolly about the bass on a top-notch valve amp, as long as the mains and output transformers are up to it - and the more iron they have in them the better!

Valve amps: one of the few things in hi-fi you can judge by weight....

Marco.
    Main System

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

Why not innovate and update the classic valve circuits?
    Power supply, power supply, power supply.
    Nick is already looking at what we can do to improve them starting with AC heating of the 300B
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Nick is already looking at what we can do to improve them starting with AC heating of the 300B
    Nicks yer man.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast