+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What headphones are people using with their Caiman SEG

I'm Jo.

Default SEG Variable headphone gain control.

Just as a coda to the SEG and headphone question, some users [me, for instance] may have missed the variable gain facility housed behind the volume knob. This adds flexibility and means that choosing a pair of headphones for the SEG is easier as you can match the gain to complement the impedance of any set you may wish to try out. I was able to fine tune the gain to suit my Sennheiser HD700s [150 Ohms].

There are full instructions on how to do this on www.beresford.me/S/instructions.

Basically turn off the unit, set the volume to 0, then pull off the volume knob (takes some steadily applied force).

You will then see:

IMG_0734.jpg

The screw on the right can be turned with a flat head screwdriver: left to reduce gain, right to increase gain.

Here is the default setting:

IMG_0729.jpg

Here is the screw set to maximum:

IMG_0733.jpg

Matching the SEG's gain to HP impedance allows the unit's headphone out to perform at its full potential.

[* Double click the photos for a larger view]
    Last edited by Landloper; 05-12-2017 at 17:39. Reason: Re: photos

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    Just as a coda to the SEG and headphone question, some users [me, for instance] may have missed the variable gain facility housed behind the volume knob. This adds flexibility and means that choosing a pair of headphones for the SEG is easier as you can match the gain to complement impedance of any set you may wish to try out. I was able to fine tune the gain to suit my Sennheiser HD700s [150 Ohms].

There are full instructions on how to do this on www.beresford.me/S/instructions.

Basically turn off the unit, set the volume to 0, then pull off the volume knob (takes some steadily applied force).

You will then see:

IMG_0734.jpg

The screw on the right can be turned with a flat head screwdriver: left to reduce gain, right to increase gain.

Here is the default setting:

IMG_0729.jpg

Here is the screw set to maximum:

IMG_0733.jpg

Matching the SEG's gain to HP impedance allows the unit's headphone out to perform at its full potential.

[* Double click the photos for a larger view]
    Great post!

Good to see what is behind the volume knob and that it looks like it can be pulled with a bit of force as there is a locking nut holding the volume assembly in place. I'm loving my new SEG, but really dislike the plastic knob!

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    I'm loving my new SEG, but really dislike the plastic knob!
    If you scratch the silver colour off the knob you should see some bare metal instead of plastic.

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    If you scratch the silver colour off the knob you should see some bare metal instead of plastic.
    Oh, it is metal, thanks for correcting me

I'm tony.

Any chance of sharing where you set the gain screw to suit 700s- mine opened up just now!

I'm tony.

John,
    Many thanks for that post-spot on.

Set the gain for the 700s ...bloody good head amp.

If I get my Cappella back from Brian will send it down to the big man for the upgrade.

Bang for buck the seg is terrific.

I'm Tim.

I had the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 omhs and found them a little brash then I switched to the Fostex t50rp mk3 and although not as good in the bass it is a lovely all round headphone but you'll need to change the earpads

I'm Jo.

Sorry, Tony. Only just noticed your question and i see you've found the best setting for yourself.

Mine is set pretty low so the volume is normally around 2 0'Clock.That leaves a bit is reserve but with no chance of damaging the 700s or my hearing. Makes all the difference to the SEG's performance with cans, from the headphone out as convenient extra on a DAC/Pre-amp to a pretty decent performer. I do usually use an HPA, though I could easily live with the SEG paired with 700s if I hadn't already laid out for a few magic boxes to feed the cans. As you say, bang for buck is high.

[I'd had the SEG a few months before I bothered to read the manual and noticed that the gain could be adjusted ]

I'm Andreas.

I'm having a very hard time getting the knob off. Opening the dac seems more convenient but that "warranty voided if torn" sticker over the screw keeps me away thus far.

Any neat tricks? A tight pinch with a well gripping cloth doesn't seem to be enough.

I only have a humble pair of K550's that are very easy to drive. I'd like some more play in the knob than to about 9 o'clock

Edit

Found a sticky glove that did the trick. Useful feature, crank is now "safe ish crank" and lots of fine adjustment until then.
    Last edited by MasterTape; 24-05-2018 at 20:16.
    Allo Digione (w S-Booster)-> Rega DAC -> Rega Elex-R -> Harbeth P3ESR

Just open the DAC (four screws at the side of the case) and then rotate the gain control spindle from inside the DAC. Don't worry about the warranty sticker for things like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast