+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Triode mode Prima Luna

I'm Shaun.

Oh yes and about 95% of my triode listening has been with vinyl and not CD.

I'm Alex.

I have found that in my PL when using KT88's (less hifi ish), I preferred Triode mode. changing to EL 34's I preferred ultra-linear mode. Both on 4 ohm taps

I'm Tony.

I have a KT88 based Yaqin 100B which has both Triode and UL modes.

I run my speakers on the 40hm taps and have found the same results as you.

I prefer Triode mode as the bass blooms in a very appealing way and the overall sound is sweeter and more musical.

What I have found though is that UL mode is far more dynamic and pushes the soundstage forward whereas in Triode mode the soundstage shrinks behind the speaker line.

What KT88s did you use as this may have a bearing on the crackling you heard?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Geoff.

Surely this was predictable as with most switchable designs. I have an Art Audio Quintet which is also switchable between modes. Triode mode is markedly sweeter than pentode and better on most counts, but begins to fall down when pushed too hard or when used with demanding speakers. I used mine with Rogers LS3/5a speakers in triode mode for many years and despite the low efficiency of those speakers never had any problem with volume levels.

Geoff

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    I have a KT88 based Yaqin 100B which has both Triode and UL modes.

I run my speakers on the 40hm taps and have found the same results as you.

I prefer Triode mode as the bass blooms in a very appealing way and the overall sound is sweeter and more musical.

What I have found though is that UL mode is far more dynamic and pushes the soundstage forward whereas in Triode mode the soundstage shrinks behind the speaker line.

What KT88s did you use as this may have a bearing on the crackling you heard?
    Yes, I certainly have to agree with this after lots of listening. I have also started using the eight Ohm output with the B&W's and it has hugely improved the sound. Very definitely the soundstage has way more depth in triode mode and yes, the bass has a nice 'full' quality. The sparkle and air though is much better in ultralinear.

Really cannot remember the KT88's I borrowed but I don't think the power amp was fully compatible with them. Yes, the bias switch was set OK but every time it was switched off it cracked through the speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123