+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Little HELP From Members

I'm Steve.

Hi Neil,
    I will take Photos as requested and en devour to post them but I have never put photos on this site as i don't know how...
    will try tho as I think other members might gain a significantly better sound without throwing good money away

Regards Steve... One very happy chap

I'm Simon.

Your room is 50% of the sound of your hifi. your speakers probably 40% and the rest of the hifi the last 10%. Sort out the room before dicking about with cables and swapping gear. Your speakers and amp will both go out to 20khz, but your room will soak up HF its it's heavily damped with soft furnishings. Twiddle about with listening on and slightly off axis, crossing speakers in front of listening position etc.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Taz.

Your speakers will need plenty of space around them to get the fuller sound. Try standing behind the speaker or imagine yourself standing behind it and picture in your mind where the sound would travel to... Is there anything blocking that path?
    I had a cat stand near my right speaker and the treble was low in that one compared to the left speaker even though the cat stand was a few feet away. Also notice that when the curtains are opened the sound changes.
    I wouldn't change anything yet just pull the speakers out and let them breath. You could grab one of them cheap 2 channel amps off eBay (around £20) and try that with your speakers.

I'm Mike.

Did anyone mention Supertweeters ?

I'm Steve.

Re positioned speakers further out in the room and 7 foot apart
    Curtains down, rug gone, settee moved to a different position and repositioned hi if racks.
    Hey Preston a completely different more pleasurable sound with higher roll of on the treble.

Thanks to all on AOS No money parted with and a satisfied customer

I'm Bob.

Of all the things that could cause domestic trouble my wife knows not to get in the way of my H--Fi setup and placement of or other furniture/decorations that may or may not cause any degradation regarding sounds (Although I did compromise at Xmas by moving one speaker in towards the wall so the Xmas tree could sit in one of the windows)

I was very lucky in my last house, the room with my Tannoy's was 18ft by 16ft, had two large windows on one of the 18ft sides with curtains (You do need some dampening) the walls were all three foot thick stone built, with a really good wooden floor.

I had Tannoy's about 11ft apart on the 16ft end wall and my favourite settee about 14ft away, in that setup it really allowed them to sing.

Just bought a house at the weekend and I have already sussed out the setup I will be having ;-)

I'm Taz.

Glad to hear you sorted it out, now you can get back to relaxing with your tunes

I'm Steve.

Hi Taz ,
    Really looking forward to a long listening session with a bottle of wine. Its strange how we don't quite enjoy our music unless it's just so
    Regards Steve...

I'm Steve.

Hi Bob,
    What system are you looking at getting for the new house

Steve...

I'm Bob.

Now that is a question, and my answer may not appeal to all on here.

My system is really an AV system, but I "Believe" in stereo so no 5.1 for me.

So the speakers will be my Tannoy Cheviots, my current amp is a Quad 33/405 combo but I am considering changing this.

I have just completed the conversion from CD to FLAC having been re-united with my CD collection after an 8 year gap (They were in my last house on a small island).

My TV is a Panasonic Viera 65 inch TX-65CX802B 4k UHD.

Current combined CD and FLAC player is an Xbox One (All I can say is try and have a listen to one through your own system).

I intend to upgrade the Xbox One to a 4k Xbox One X (Just released) and I am also looking to replace (But not get rid of) the Quad with a newer amp that has infra red control so the Xbox One can control it (I like saying "Xbox volume down" or just "Xbox on" and everything turns on)

I have been considering the latest Cyrus One, but I am still thinking about this but the Cyrus doesn't have stand by mode (I asked them).

I really want a very minimalist look.

And a final word on the Xbox, I am not really a games player, OK I do have the odd visit to Victorian London to go on the odd killing spree curtesy of Assassin's Creed, but I mainly use it for it's mixed entertainment so music, TV, films, I can control my lighting, Skype, you name it.

But and I think its a big BUT, it's surprised me just how decent the audio output is and it has the big advantage of being so simple to use that my wife can understand it and use not only my setup but hers as well.

Well you did ask ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123