+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SACD, how do you REALLY feel about it?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Not tried this yet but the Sony HAPZ1 had a recent software/operational tweak which makes the USB a digital out now, and as the HAP plays DSD and can convert files to DSD (also comes with DSD sample tracks) I plan on trying it with a DAC I have that is DSD compatible. If this works then that is a step forward.

Esoteric equipment has two DSD output options Firewire and twin XLR outputs, both sound excellent.
    Interesting, Neil. It was always my understanding that just about all SACD transports to date only output PCM over SPDIF, via a conversion process, most can't output native DSD, so it's pretty cool that some are doing that. It would be pretty cool to be able to make a direct comparison.

My DAC doesn't read native DSD but my newly-acquired Mutec MC3+USB reclocking device does, though it performs a conversion to PCM in passing the signal through, that's supposed to be done in a reasonably sophisticated way but is a conversion nonetheless. I assume the DSD input is only over USB but I haven't checked. Conversion is frought with difficulty though because the whole stream is handled entirely differently, DSD is only 1 bit but a massively higher sample rate.

Very few SACD recordings were done natively in 1bit DSD anyway, most are conversions of 24/96 or 24/192 in the studio. So they get quantized on the way to DSD format, and conversion to PCM quantizes them on the way out - not ideal and there are strong arugments on the high-res side for keeping things PCM.

Some interesting info out there on the relationships between DSD and PCM and it seems to me that which format is 'better' is not always clear cut. Here's one example which though it's by a DAC vendor explains things rather well. http://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-v...myth-vs-truth/

I'm Russell.

Thank you Tom! I truly enjoyed reading the article you linked to. I did my college thesis on PCM way back in ‘93, a LOT has happened since then! And the author really sounds like he knows what he’s talking about, and made it very readable. It answered a lot of questions I didn’t know I wanted to ask!

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Retief.

From limited experimentation, I prefer redbook cd's played through my AN DAC to SACD played directly from my Oppo UDP 203. I wanted the option to play most formats and thus went for a universal player like the Oppo, but as said the quality of the DAC surpasses any (potential) gains made in the format - IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm James.

My one and only experience with SACD was from a Marantz sa11s2 if you played back to back with the same normal cds the differences were huge for me it just added more layers to the music, left me so impressed that a Marantz SA player is the next thing i'll be buying
    MY SYSTEM
    SOURCES: Marantz cd63 mk2 ki, Marantz cd6000ose
    AMPLIFICATION: Albarry m408s mono blocs with ap3 pre
    CABLES: Chord company c-line, Monster interlink 400, QED silver speaker cable, Tacima cs947 mains conditioner
    SPEAKERS: Mission 752 freedoms, AKG K550 mk2 headphones

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by James the Albarry lover View Post
    My one and only experience with SACD was from a Marantz sa11s2 if you played back to back with the same normal cds the differences were huge for me it just added more layers to the music, left me so impressed that a Marantz SA player is the next thing i'll be buying
    The differences are all in the mastering, not the format. Buy the hybrid copy if there is one and play it on a normal cd player, you will still get all the benefits of the better mastering. The format side of SACD is a bit of a con, I'm afraid.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The differences are all in the mastering, not the format. Buy the hybrid copy if there is one and play it on a normal cd player, you will still get all the benefits of the better mastering. The format side of SACD is a bit of a con, I'm afraid.
    Amen.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Totally agree.

I'm Grant.

Have to say I have a few and just play the normal layer.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I respect your listening experience but don't agree.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234