+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon 103r - is it worth the aggro?

Bigman80 Guest

Yep, I am now thinking this could be some time off

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I read it's slightly warm sounding? Is that in line with your experience?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    No it certainly isn't. In fact i would say it's an up front sound if anything. I have had three and i will likely as not get another one. I have had a few high end cartridges and to be honest i think a lot of them are bollocks.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    No it certainly isn't. In fact i would say it's an up front sound if anything. I have had three and i will likely as not get another one. I have had a few high end cartridges and to be honest i think a lot of them are bollocks.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Love that honesty!!

I'm Robert.

Love that honesty!!

Indeed
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Steve's quite right, simply because many of them are not only overpriced, but overly analytical sounding and a-musical, designed simply to appease the sensibilities of 'audiophiles' playing their 17 different pressings of 'Kind of Blue' and one test record!

There you go... Yet more honesty

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    thanks Marco....well I did ask so no complaints about the length of your post.
    No worries, Paul. Hope you found it useful

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Shibata tipped Boron cantilever.
    It sounds mighty fine yo my ears.
    It will (if you enjoy that type of presentation). However, it's essentially no longer a DL-103... Also, it'll no longer need as much mass to perform optimally, as the compliance will have been altered, so if I were you I'd try backing off the mass a little (by using a lighter headshell weight) and see how it sounds then. You may prefer it

Marco.
    Main System

It's definitely on my radar but with the peripheral gear needed i dont think its going to be the right time to dive in. I haven't got a Valve MM stage or a headamp etc. I am going to keep my eye on things and your input has been invaluable, Marco.
    No worries, mate. That's what we're here for! Sensible plan, btw

Marco.
    Main System

Hi Stephen,

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    The NWA 103 was very detailed with a lovely mid range and tracked great - musical presentation was “effortless” but for all that it lacked a certain “presence” and sounded a little “thin and recessed” - no matter how I played with the setup and SUT’s (didn’t have the AU-S1 then) I couldn’t “flesh it out” to the sound I was after.
    Indeed, and that's the problem with fitting a fine-line stylus to a 103, as whilst detail retrieval is increased and distortion lowered, you lose 'body' from the sound and some of that rather infectious 'phat-bass authority', which provides the foundation for it to boogie like a bastard!

Essentially, fitting a fine-line stylus 'sanitises' the sound too much, diluting the 103's renowned fun-factor in the process, and robbing it of some bass weight. In that respect, an AU-S1 would've solved little, as the 'damage' has been done earlier in the chain.

The S1 changed all that. It does everything the NWA did but sounds so much bigger and more lifelike. There’s no doubt the AU-S1 brings out the best in it particularly with better/faster bass and detail yet it still has the sort of presentation you could listen to for extended periods without fatigue.
    You'll get zero listening fatigue with a DL-S1, simply because its balance has been so well judged, therefore it can extract all the detail from recordings, whilst sounding very spacious and open at the top end, and in that respect perform like a truly high-end MC, but without ever sounding 'etched' or analytical.

One of the main things responsible for its addictive musical sound is the use of high-purity gold wire (mixed with 6N copper) in the coil windings, similar to that found in the DL-103GL (Gold Limited), but there are other important aspects to the design of the DL-S1, such as the construction of the 'special elliptical' stylus, which behaves in a similar way to a fine-line, but without its disadvantages (such as you've outlined).

It really is a fabulous thing, which has been very cleverly engineered by a company with the knowledge and wherewithal to make truly great cartridges at sane prices, and I'm so glad that I bagged one before they were discontinued!

Regarding antiskate I’m following the Soundsmith approach and setting so the stylus ever so slowly drifts inwards when “playing” grooveless vinyl. With all other carts I’ve used this usually translated to anti skate between 1.5 & 2.5 but with the S1 it’s about 0.5. It tracks the HFN disc with ease. No issues with the cantilever.
    As long as all is well, that's cool.

The SUT is stunning - built like a battleship. There are regularly a few on eBay (I got mine from Samurai electronics in Japan - reasonable price but the import duty stings
    Yeah, I've bought stuff from Samurai before, and he's excellent. I know how good the AU-S1 is, so will no doubt treat myself to one at some point soon. My reluctance up until now is because I've gone down the head amp route in recent times, with great success, but it might be time to add a top-notch SUT to the equation that I know is specifically designed to optimise the DL-S1, which is what employing the use of an SUT is all about!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast