+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon 103r - is it worth the aggro?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Tom's views were closest in alignment with mine, apart from his liking for Lyras! I'll post something after breakfast.

One thing I will say, in the interim, is that *ONLY* get into the 103 thing if you're willing to go the whole hog, in terms of what's necessary to get these carts to sing (and btw, I won't be recommending an 'R', but something else), otherwise don't bother.

However, if you do what's needed, the effort will be well worth it. You've got the right T/T and arm, so it's a good start. More later!

Marco.
    Ha, I remember you saying that to me about the 1210.

I'm sure that you will give food for thought!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    The idea of Marco not being willing to express an opinion was kind of weird.
    🤣

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Seconded. I've had stellar results from the 103R and know the cart well, having used it many times in different circumstances.

But then carts are so personal, and thenthere's all the set-up, arm matching, phono stage choice, deck etc etc etc.

Oliver: I'd say the only way you will know is to try. Other people's opinions are just as likely to match yours as they are to be diametrically opposed.
    As all things, personal experience is where the best judgement is found. Thanks Scooby

I'm Adrian.

I've never tried the Denon - not sure why. But I tend to get put off when there are too many iterations of something (like audio note). What I have experienced is a shibata tip and to be honest I wouldn't have one again - very very fussy about set up. the FG is much better in my opinion - equal detail retrieval but much easier to set up.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Oliver, I’ve heard a Van Den Hul retipped 103r that I thought very good, real boogie factor. Preferred it to a standard one.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I've never tried the Denon - not sure why. But I tend to get put off when there are too many iterations of something (like audio note). What I have experienced is a shibata tip and to be honest I wouldn't have one again - very very fussy about set up. the FG is much better in my opinion - equal detail retrieval but much easier to set up.
    I'd prefer a FG tip. No argument there.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Oliver, I’ve heard a Van Den Hul retipped 103r that I thought very good, real boogie factor. Preferred it to a standard one.
    Thanks Ali, that's very interesting. More detail?

I'm Geoff.

I can see where you are aiming to get Oliver. You thought the R50 'warm and lacking in detail'. That is true to an extent, but very few MC's offer that amazing soundstage and mid transparency. The Denons don't, I've had half a dozen. Did you get a listen to Alan's R100? That has the 'good stuff', but is more neutral and very detailed. The imaging is fantastic. Finding one used is tricky though and the new revised version costs an arm and a leg!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I can see where you are aiming to get Oliver. You thought the R50 'warm and lacking in detail'. That is true to an extent, but very few MC's offer that amazing soundstage and mid transparency. The Denons don't, I've had half a dozen. Did you get a listen to Alan's R100? That has the 'good stuff', but is more neutral and very detailed. The imaging is fantastic. Finding one used is tricky though and the new revised version costs an arm and a leg!
    I can see it too Geoff but not sure it's attainable in my budget. I've just received news that the Ortofon Vienna will be with me on the 28/11/17 for a good listen.

They are different beasts no doubt.

I did have a listen to Alan's r100 and it's undoubtedly very very good but I haven't heard it on my TT in my house. So difficult to judge.

I'll give the Ortofon a real run out. See where it lies after that.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    ...but very few MC's offer that amazing soundstage and mid transparency. The Denons don't, I've had half a dozen.
    You'll only really get that from a Decca (when it works), but in terms of soundstage, Geoff, I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree about 103s, as when you get the BEST out of them (perhaps in your time using them, you didn't quite manage that?) the size of the soundstage they produce is positively cavernous!

Have you ever used a NOS vintage limited-edition 103 (M, SA, GL or C1), with a top-notch head amp (not SUT), through a top-notch valve MM stage? And of course with a high-mass arm (and/or headshell), on a top-notch direct-drive T/T? That's where the 'magic' lies - and all those ingredients have to be in place for it to work...

Be with you shortly, Oliver. Just about finished my morning cappuccino and croissant!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast