+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marco's creepy 1970s movies, selected from YouTube...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm sure I will. I'll let you know

Btw, this is going to be my selection for 4pm tomorrow:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Marco you must watch this - 1972. Fabulous.

An old favourite.

Default The Stone Tapes

Sorry, Neil, I watched this film last night, and while it was ok, it wasn't really my thing.

Well I say 'watched', but in fact I fell asleep halfway through it... There was none (or very little) of the accompanying eerie music I like, and I found it quite boring (too much talking and not enough action).

For me, it wasn't at all scary or macabre - and for these particular film selections, there has to be a strong element of that in the overall 'vibe'.

So.... A little too subtle for me, and probably one for purists of this genre. What I'm after is more disposable, pre-teatime 'froth' (but done well) that has a creepy/spooky theme and 'scare factor', and which doesn't require much concentration to follow...

Creepy Factor: 4

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe your next one will hit the spot?

We'll see if my chosen 'Horror Express' does so later. There are certainly enough good actors in it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sorry, Neil, I watched this film last night, and while it was ok, it wasn't really my thing.

Well I say 'watched', but in fact I fell asleep halfway through it... There was none (or very little) of the accompanying eerie music I like, and I found it quite boring (too much talking and not enough action).

For me, it wasn't at all scary or macabre - and for these particular film selections, there has to be a strong element of that in the overall 'vibe'.

So.... A little too subtle for me, and probably one for purists of this genre. What I'm after is more disposable, pre-teatime 'froth' (but done well) that has a creepy/spooky theme and 'scare factor', and which doesn't require much concentration...

Creepy Factor: 4

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe your next one will hit the spot?

We'll see if my chosen 'Horror Express' does so later. There are certainly enough good actors in it!

Marco.
    Horror Express is a reasonably good film, seen it a few times.

If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world. The Stone Tape is a creeping horror and its really the last 15 mins when the more awful horror gets revealed. I think it interesting that the main thrust of the sub plot is the development of a new recording medium and digital is mentioned. Nigel Kneale is the writer behind Quatermas and The Stone Tape was commissioned as a Christmas ghost story.
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Horror Express is a reasonably good film, seen it a few times.

If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world. The Stone Tape is a creeping horror and its really the last 15 mins when the more awful horror gets revealed. I think it interesting that the main thrust of the sub plot is the development of a new recording medium and digital is mentioned. Nigel Kneale is the writer behind Quatermas and The Stone Tape was commissioned as a Christmas ghost story.
    Indeed. I think it was the fact that it had a 'sub-plot', which was the problem (too much thinking)!

And sadly, I never got to experience the all-important "awful horror", during the last 15 mins, simply because of ennui... I'm afraid that if a film doesn't 'hook' me within the first 15 mins, and takes too long to get going, I don't have the attention span or patience necessary to wait until it does!

No, I just need something simple (but effective) to 'wash over me' before teatime. Disposable light entertainment. Yes, you'll have guessed that I'm a not a film connoisseur!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Deleted.

'Martyrs' is a deeply disturbing film.
    Account Deleted

Noted, Mark. Which era is it from?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm jamie.

horror express is cool.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Just about to settle down and watch it now, curtains drawn, and the candles and wood-burner lit, this being time enjoyed with a rather fine Speyside malt...

Let the horror commence!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adam.

Hammers Dr Terrors house of Horror
    Christopher Lee' Peter Cushing and bizarrely Alan Freeman etc..
    And a great Jazz Scene / score with Roy Castle and the mighty Tubby Hayes!!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast