+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Decca curse?

I'm Stuart.

You have two elements that "take no prisoners" - the Decca and the Yamahas.
    I know as I have both!
    However the Rock should be a bonus. Have you tried adding mass to the the Alphason, or adjusting the amount of damping?
    Admittedly I use an OL modded RB300 and a retipped Decca Blue but records that sound poor with the Decca also sound poor with my other cartridges.
    Experimenting could be worth trying.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by StuN View Post
    There's some truth in that. Just bung a valve buffer in. Sorted!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by StuN View Post
    I know as I have both!
    However the Rock should be a bonus. Have you tried adding mass to the the Alphason, or adjusting the amount of damping?
    Admittedly I use an OL modded RB300 and a retipped Decca Blue but records that sound poor with the Decca also sound poor with my other cartridges.
    Experimenting could be worth trying.
    That's exactly what I found with the Decca Blue Stu. It reveals all and with great recordings it is superb but quickly shows the shortcomings of poor recordings. This is why I could not use it as my daily driver. I prefer a slightly more neutral cartridge that is not quite as immediate but a bit more relaxing such as the 2M black.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

This thread has put me off Deccas a bit.

I'm Charlie.

I have 2 tonearms and cartridges (Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 and Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Model 2) on my Platine Verdier, both feeding into TRON phono stages (Seven Reference for the Decca and upgraded onboard MC phono on my TRON Meteor preamp - precursor to the Syren). I have played LPs with both carts on the record simultaneously and can switch immediately from one to the other - so no need to use aural memory to compare.

The Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder is an excellent set up - spacious wide sound stage, delicate, airy, stunning on vocals - so it should be as that's now a £5.5 k combination. But the C4E/Hadcock has more drive and dynamics (esp on percussion and piano). Ok the C4E does not have the spacious sound stage (bit narrower and more compressed front to back), the top end is not quite as refined, but the dynamic live sound wins almost all of the time.

I'm afraid that poorly recorded records sound bad whichever set up I use. The Allaerts/Schroeder gets used for orchestral stuff and opera, but the Decca plays pretty much everything else.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    any thoughts on a benz micro glider?
    Jamie, the Benz Micro Glider I cannot offer a view on, but I found the Benz Micro Wood SL to be slow, tame and uninvolving. After reading so many positive reviews I was hugely disappointed. It tracked well but produced no excitement whatsoever in my system.

Others will no doubt have a more positive experience.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by stevied View Post
    I'll quantify what I said at my Gold, I love it, and if any records sound poor with it, it's mostly 1980's mega thin vinyl, let's face it most of the 80's vinyl was crap as they pushed the limit of how much they could fit in a side and the LPs themselves became thinner and thinner to cut costs.

A lot of production at that time also seemed to be all about the top end and nothing about the bottom end. Loads of LPs from this era ( that I own anyway ) seem to have been recorded with no bass player and the drummer is 3 studios away.

Is it bad that a cartridge reveals all, well that depends on whether you want accuracy, or whether you want something pleasant to listen to, and there is the rub, pleasant might not reveal all, which means you will miss a helluva lot. However accurate might reveal all and you might not like what you hear.

These are so many variables with vinyl playback, if we tried to 'fix' it all, jeezo we'd have 3 different turntables, 6 different arms and 27 different cartridges

Welcome to vinyl

PS: note that my crap LPs have sounded poor with all the carts I've owned, but to varying degrees.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by stevied View Post
    Remember. Most people that own them love them!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Remember. Most people that own them love them!
    Most people, who have bought one, and then had it properly sorted (esp for second hand or vintage Deccas), love them. The modern Deccas built by John Wright are much better in terms of quality control compared to the lottery from Decca Special Products
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Most people, who have bought one, and then had it properly sorted (esp for second hand or vintage Deccas), love them. The modern Deccas built by John Wright are much better in terms of quality control compared to the lottery from Decca Special Products
    That's the route is go if I were to buy one.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast