+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How hi (-fi) can you go?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Excellent write up Alan and a most interesting read.

I too use Quad 57s and have tried/experimented with augmenting the bass performance with a subwoofer. Sadly I didn't get on with it, particularly finding the correct level was impossible to set: either it would be too high and the bass was intrusive (roll-over set to 40Hz), or it would be too low and there was no overall contribution. It also varied depending on what was being played. Maybe I should have persevered, but the sub was loaned to me, so I didn't have a lot of time to 'optimise' things.

What are the super tweeters you are using Alan? What is the crossover frequency?

Talking of "How hi ?", are you still hanging the Quads from the ceiling? I think I can see the suspension hooks.

Anyway excellent work, well done.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

This http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...the-sweet-spot gives you all the details Barry

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Could you explain the highlighted text, Alan, as I'm unaware of what you're referring to. Also what do you mean by a "recognisable pinch point"?
    By pinch point I was referring to the weak point, the area which is limiting ultimate performance.

Depending what JFET is used there will be an optimum supply voltage for that JFET to give best performance, as with a valve as well. I haven't incorporated any circuitry to make this adjustable.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ah ok, gotcha now

Something to work on then, perhaps? However, it's not only the KIN's MC input which is 'challenged' in that way, in the face of a good head amp or SUT, used in conjunction with the accompanying MM input of the same phono stage, but pretty much EVERY standalone MC phono stage I've heard or tried to date.

Therefore, for me, something intrinsic/fundamental is going on, allowing the combination of MM stage+SUT (or head amp), when all else is equal, to 'ace' a standalone MC stage.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Nice write up Alan and good to see your system has evolved since I last heard it so now I have something new to look forward to later this month.

I though I had finished messing with my set up until I put some new JJTesla valves in the regulation stage?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Looks like there will be a few more updates after today's little listening session. Valves for 1!!! I'll let Alan tell the story.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Something to work on then, perhaps?.........

Therefore, for me, something intrinsic/fundamental is going on, allowing the combination of MM stage+SUT (or head amp), when all else is equal, to 'ace' a standalone MC stage.

Marco.
    Well, to follow on from Oliver's tease, and Marco's question above, there has been a breakthrough in the design of my JFET cascode MC input.

A bit of a double epiphany has been experienced today with the help of Oliver's TT/arm/cartridge excellent 'front end' and the use of my cobbled up valve head amp.

The first epiphany was dropping Telefunken valves into the Firebottle Monoblocks. Both of our jaws were on the floor The raise in performance was outstanding.

Prior to this I had suggested connecting my valve headamp into the MM input to isolate the JFET MC input from the signal chain, without really expecting much of a change. How wrong I was
    The distortion level dropped, particularly noticeable on the bottom registers, with them becoming cleaner and easier to follow. This confirmed what I have said above about the JFET being the weak link and introducing non-linearity.

After a bit of fervent brain activity I realised why. Fortunately the existing design of the MC input stage, JFET/valve, was actually giving too much gain which is very rare for a valve stage, it's usual to be struggling to get 'enough'.

I've now been able to use the excess gain to linearise the JFET to great effect, giving a standalone MC that equals the use of an external SUT or headamp.

It's so satisfying to come up with a new solution, I'm chuffed to bits.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bigman80 Guest

"jaws dropped" is an understatement!!!!! A total shift upwards in terms of clarity and transparency. It was a stunning moment. I'm pleased youve opted to buy some too

The Headamp was another shocking moment. It's taken a while to get to the bottom of where the weak point was but once this head amp went in, it became a completely differently phonostage altogether. Superb stuff. Looking forward to another listen at the bakeoff.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting stuff, guys. Would love to have heard all that for myself, particularly the trials with the head amp. Just shows that hi-fi is always a continual learning curve, no matter how much you *think* you know!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Interesting stuff, guys. Would love to have heard all that for myself, particularly the trials with the head amp. Just shows that hi-fi is always a continual learning curve, no matter how much you *think* you know!

Marco.
    It was a definite "wow" moment when those (still sealed ) Telefunkens went in. You know they are good when Alan spends money and buys some for himself 🤣

Same with the valve head amp. I'm now doubly excited to build my MM valve stage. (Valve Wizard PCB and PSU) Probably go Headamp over SUT but it'll be fun either way!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast