+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oliver's new interconnects

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks for taking the time to give them a Thorough listening to Brian. I'm glad you likes them, obviously lol.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Brian.

Liked them a lot mate . They're different from mine but they have different strengths . Horses for courses Oliver
    Last edited by brian2957; 04-11-2017 at 13:52.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Liked them a lot mate . They're different from mine but and they had different strengths . Horses for courses Oliver
    Absolutely mate. More horses the better!

I'm Alan.

Brian
    Could I ask what is the make up of these lease, cable type & plugs and a photo would be good

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Brian.

Sorry Alan , I don't know . these are Oliver's design not mine so you will have to ask him I'm afraid . I think the plug details are detailed earlier in this thread .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Brian
    Could I ask what is the make up of these lease, cable type & plugs and a photo would be good

Alan
    Top secret I'm afraid Alan. If you want to try them, you can be added to the "feedback" group?

I'm Marcus.

Default Bronzeage age review

OK, so I have been listening for the last few days, comparing to several other interconnects in the armoury.

First things, the build. The build is very good, very sold, nice sheath. The plugs remind of of the bullet type, easy to slide on and off, but not loose.

I thought it would be best to start with the new cable, without listening to what it sounded like with any other cable. Initital impressions were, hmm, it sounds clear, but certainly different to how I remembered (memory can play tricks on you though). As I started to crank up the volume, well, how can I say this? Not so good. Frankly, a little painful, a bit shrill for want of a better word, and the bass, well it was like somebody stripped a good portion of it out.

Still, I soldiered on - maybe my source did not suite? So I switched to TV input (into the DAC via optical). For listening to the news, people talking, general stuff, it was pretty good in an odd sort of way - voices stood out, and were easy to make out. I switched to Netflix, I am very familiar with the music at the beginning of 'Breaking Bad', it has a deep bass drop and specific detailing. Except, the bass drop was more of a .. plop. Again, the shrill sound with the volume pumped up.

Crumbs, I feel bad. I thought, have I done something wrong? I tried them in the opposite direction, but no change.
    Maybe my ears were just having a bad day. I switched back to my regular interconnect. Ah. Everything I remember, came back as it was - the warmth, the bass, the imaging, the realism, everything.

So then I went back to the new cable again - nope, same as before. So I switched to what I would class as my second best cable. That was still a big step up from the 'Oliver', again the big difference being the amount bass, and the smoothness of the top end.

I can only conclude that this cable is just a bad match with my gear, and my preferences. What is kind of strange is how my findings are near enough the opposite of Brian's - I would say these are probably good for over bassy, over warm systems. We do share in common that they are good at digging out detail, although for me, it was surface detail, a bit like the sound coming out of TV speakers, compared to full sized speakers.

I feel bad. Very bad, but I am only giving my honest opinion as to how I hear it. Maybe I'm just an odd one out, time will tell.

Anyway, I appreciate the chance to try something new, no harm done.

On to Jerry !
    Last edited by bronzeage; 24-11-2017 at 16:45. Reason: Spelling
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeage View Post
    OK, so I have been listening for the last few days, comparing to several other interconnects in the armoury.

First things, the build. The build is very good, very sold, nice sheath. The plugs remind of of the bullet type, easy to slide on and off, but not loose.

I thought it would be best to start with the new cable, without listening to what it sounded like with any other cable. Initital impressions were, hmm, it sounds clear, but certainly different to how I remembered (memory can play tricks on you though). As I started to crank up the volume, well, how can I say this? Not so good. Frankly, a little painful, a bit shrill for want of a better word, and the bass, well it was like somebody stripped a good portion of it out.

Still, I soldiered on - maybe my source did not suite? So I switched to TV input (into the DAC via optical). For listening to the news, people talking, general stuff, it was pretty good in an odd sort of way - voices stood out, and were easy to make out. I switched to Netflix, I am very familiar with the music at the beginning of 'Breaking Bad', it has a deep bass drop and specific detailing. Except, the bass drop was more of a .. plop. Again, the shrill sound with the volume pumped up.

Crumbs, I feel bad. I thought, have I done something wrong? I tried them in the opposite direction, but no change.
    Maybe my ears were just having a bad day. I switched back to my regular interconnect. Ah. Everything I remember, came back as it was - the warmth, the bass, the imaging, the realism, everything.

So then I went back to the new cable again - nope, same as before. So I switched to what I would class as my second best cable. That was still a big step up from the 'Oliver', again the big difference being the amount bass, and the smoothness of the top end.

I can only conclude that this cable is just a bad match with my gear, and my preferences. What is kind of strange is how my findings are near enough the opposite of Brian's - I would say these are probably good for over bassy, over warm systems. We do share in common that they are good at digging out detail, although for me, it was surface detail, a bit like the sound coming out of TV speakers, compared to full sized speakers.

I feel bad. Very bad, but I am only giving my honest opinion as to how I hear it. Maybe I'm just an odd one out, time will tell.

Anyway, I appreciate the chance to try something new, no harm done.

On to Jerry !
    Hi Marcus,

Well to say I'm shocked is an understatement! But, you hear what you hear!!

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts.

Oliver.

I'm Marcus.

Hi Oliver

Yeah, I'm really sorry about how it turned out, nothing personal.
    This kind of oddness can drive you nuts - for instance, the very same cable I use, sounded truly terrible on a Roksan Caspian M2 when I took to a dealer once during a demo. Plugged into a Rega Ellicit-R, in the same shop, it sounded spectacular. No idea how that could have been.

Certainly, other cables people here have raved about, I have not liked at all, and vice versa, my favourite, others don't like much.

Maybe one shoe can never fit them all, never seems to in the strange world of hi-fi.
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeage View Post
    Hi Oliver

Yeah, I'm really sorry about how it turned out, nothing personal.
    This kind of oddness can drive you nuts - for instance, the very same cable I use, sounded truly terrible on a Roksan Caspian M2 when I took to a dealer once during a demo. Plugged into a Rega Ellicit-R, in the same shop, it sounded spectacular. No idea how that could have been.

Certainly, other cables people here have raved about, I have not liked at all, and vice versa, my favourite, others don't like much.

Maybe one shoe can never fit them all, never seems to in the strange world of hi-fi.
    Marcus, don't worry! Its valuable to get feedback from a wide range of folk and everyone is going to hear things in specific ways. The feedback is appreciated and I appreciate your honesty too. It's never easy writing reviews when you haven't had a great experience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast