+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This crazy world of witch hunts...

I'm Grant.

waiting 15 years to bring it up is a bit strong tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    No, the climate is right only now. But I've just heard the journalist on the radio say that it was absurd that he's resigned over it. In which case she should have kept her mouth shut.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    But this argument can equally be applied to the journalist, who may well have been flirting wth the politician to get what she wanted. If that context is true she got what she wanted, a story, he didn't. He tried by touching her knee, as sexually arousing as an elbow, and she said no. End of story. Games. Played all the time.
    I accept that she feels she was touched in appropriately I won't blame, shame, seek to reduce or dismiss her feelings on the matter - or anyone else's, ever.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I accept that she feels she was touched in appropriately I won't blame, shame, seek to reduce or dismiss her feelings on the matter.
    From what I've just heard on the radio she didn't say sexually assault - the media/witch hunt said it. Which was my initial point.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Not really Grant. Many victims don't immediately go to the police or do what we think they should do, they deal with it, or not, whatever it is and it could be they come forward the next day, years later or never. Frankly I think anyone at any time coming forward should be taken seriously, supported and helped. Sadly though not coming forward on the day, or immediately after the incident means the evidence is damaged or lost so a police case looses its strength and sadly legal action may not be possible.

I can but imagine how difficult it is to deal with these things, and even if you do go to the police and the evidence is strong there is no certainty the case goes through to a prosecution or a successful case.

I think the rest of us should try to understand the difficulties, the sensitivities and be supportive, not judgemental or seek to dismiss others valid feelings about what happened to them.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

I'm listening to the woman in question on radio 4.

To quote.. it was mildly amusing (the knee incident)... It's a witch hunt..... The most absurd reason in the universe for him to resign.

From the woman involved. As I said. Witch hunt.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Not really Grant. Many victims don't immediately go to the police or do what we think they should do, they deal with it, or not, whatever it is and it could be they come forward the next day, years later or never. Frankly I think anyone at any time coming forward should be taken seriously, supported and helped. Sadly though not coming forward on the day, or immediately after the incident means the evidence is damaged or lost so a police case looses its strength and sadly legal action may not be possible.

I can but imagine how difficult it is to deal with these things, and even if you do go to the police and the evidence is strong there is no certainty the case goes through to a prosecution or a successful case.

I think the rest of us should try to understand the difficulties, the sensitivities and be supportive, not judgemental or seek to dismiss others valid feelings about what happened to them.
    female reporters are as hard as nails, and someone touching her knee I doubt would actually bother her. They will get a lot more than that at the paper and the ones Ive met can give as good as they get.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

I don't totally disagree with dalek in principle. But sanity must be applied. We live in the real world where both sexes play games. Where things rightly or wrongly were a little different 15 years ago. The fact that people treated me like crap 15 years ago does not mean I am going to take them to a tribunal today for homophobic reasons - that was then and now is now. Likewise touching a knee or propositioning someone 15 years ago should be past history.

There are limits, rape was illegal then and is now. But chatting up a girl and being a bit touchy was acceptable. What next - ban the Carry on films - pray God no!
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Mike.

Well I'm going to put my head above the parapet and say I'm with Adrian on this. As the Journalist herself has said, "I believe it is absurd and wrong to treat workplace banter and flirting - and even misjudged sexual overtures - between consenting adults as being morally equivalent to serious sexual harassment or assault." She goes on to say that doing so demeans genuine victims of REAL offences.
    There's some news this evening that another MP has been accused of "asking someone out"......... I seriously doubt the future of the human race if we can't risk asking someone out or making a "clumsy" pass at them without being vilified.

Right, I'm off my soapbox now... ;-)

montesquieu Guest

I'm with Adey on this. It's clear that abuse of power for sexual favours shouldn't be tolerated. But it's all getting a bit silly and out of proportion. I feel really sorry for my 19 year old lad. I was chatting to him once about a girl he fancied at his school, but he was 17 and she was 15 and there was no way he'd even ask her out in case he got into trouble over it. Terror of getting on the wrong side of PC in word, deed or even thought is drummed into them now from an early age and a sensitive lad like him listens and takes it all in without any common sense filter that an adult born a few years earlier would apply. Be no surprise if he's still living with his mum at 30 at this rate.

An ex of mine made a very clear and obvious move on me after an office do when she was 19 and I was 34 - I had been (I thought subtly) flirting with/courting her boss for some weeks and but it became clear that night she was attempting to cut in. (Successfully as it turned out). She wasn't my subordinate, just a junior employee - but would I be so bold these days to take her up on it, especially after a night on the sauce (both of us)? Could I be hauled in front of a court some day? (This is over 20 years ago I hasten to add and we went on to have a relationship. But what if we hadn't?).

Several great articles in today's Spectator on the topic. Not sure if they can be read by non-subscribers but I'll give the links anyway.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/1...little-creepy/

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/11/...women-and-men/

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/11/...no-sex-at-all/
    Last edited by montesquieu; 02-11-2017 at 16:49.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast