+ Reply to Thread
Page 239 of 483 FirstFirst ... 139189229237238239240241249289339 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,390 of 4823

Thread: The Coffeehouse.... Baristi, Barista, Bariste

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed, but if you like some types of German food and beer/wine [count me in], chances are a German-owned store will do it best

And you like bloody Galaxy chocolate, the most over-sweet tasteless shite known to man!

Marco.

I'm Grant.

Think it's often how your taste buds are developed.
    My boy who is now 40 only likes heinz cream of chicken soup. Even though its probably not tge best.
    Love a chunk of Galaxy myself but I do like foreign chocs too.

Crisps tho... Foreign ones are shite. British is best
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I think your point about taste buds is spot on. In that respect, mine tend to align with continental foods.

I don't have a 'British palate', which is probably why I like a lot of the stuff Aldi and Lidl sell, not necessarily because it's German, but because some of the German food and drink suits my continental tastes (and Del's), hence why we also buy our bread, butter, yogurts and various other things from the Polish shop, and all sorts of things from our local Portuguese deli, as the stuff that they sell aligns closest with my Italian palate.

Essentially, we're seeking flavours that we're familiar with and also trying to make up for the lack of a good Italian deli here, which there were tons of up in Glasgow, to get that familiar 'taste' we like/crave, and which we struggle to find in British supermarkets

Plus I'm completely uninfluenced by major brand names, so if I find something from a 'no name' brand, which for me is better (and cheaper) than it's 'big name' counterpart, then that's what I'll buy. Same goes for where I'll shop. I don't get a 'warm glow' from buying stuff in a posh supermarket. Conversely though, if I consider that something is of truly excellent quality, and worth paying more for, then I won't hesitate, but I won't pay through the nose simply for 'snob factor'.

I like to experiment, move outside of my comfort zone with food and drink, and discover new things! A creature of habit I'm not., nor am I a fussy eater...

But when it comes to food, I also like flavourful/tasty things, where the use of fresh herbs and spices. garlic/olive oil/generous seasoning is prominent, and so in that respect often find British food a bit bland. I may not be a fussy eater, but I'm not a plain/boring one either. Food, for me, *must* excite/tantalise the taste buds, and be something you look forward to eating with gusto, as that's what I've always been used to, not merely something to fill you up!

Marco.

I'm Grant.

My taste buds want this
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

....which mine helped introduce you to...

Marco [the beanmeister].

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ....which mine helped introduce you to...

Marco [the beanmeister].
    indeed.. good stuff.... pure
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

oddly when a child, i loved milky coffee, then went off it(took a scunner for it, my mum said lol) but re educated my taste buds to coffee again when older, which was done bit by bit... still cant drink instant tho
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Ugh - instant is for folk who like caramelised brown liquid, not coffee!

But yes, your tastes change when you get older. There are quite a few things I like now that I didn't like very much when I was younger (things like seafood), and yes also milk. I still wouldn't enjoy drinking a glass of it cold, but I think I could perhaps manage it now, whereas at one time I'd have gagged at the very thought of it.

Hot milk in a tasty cappuccino or latte/hot chocolate has never been a problem though, but aside from that I'm not a milk drinker, which is why I don't take cereals.

Btw, going back to the Lidl/Aldi thing, I think partly why you're not that keen on some of their stuff is because you (understandably) eat a lot of ready meals, and granted, the ready meals in Lidi or Aldi are undeniably SHITE, as Germans don't really eat them. They mostly cook food from fresh, as we do.

Therefore, in that instance, the main UK supermarkets will always cater better for your needs

Marco.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ugh - instant is for folk who like caramelised brown liquid, not coffee!

But yes, your tastes change when you get older. There are quite a few things I like now that I didn't like very much when I was younger (things like seafood), and yes also milk. I still wouldn't enjoy drinking a glass of it cold, but I think I could manage it now, whereas at one time I'd have puked at the very thought of it.

Hot milk in a tasty cappuccino or latte has never been a problem though, but aside from that I'm not a milk drinker, which is why I don't take cereals.

Btw, going back to the Lidl/Aldi thing, I think partly why you're not that keen on some of their stuff is because you (understandably) eat a lot of ready meals, and granted, the ready meals in Lidi or Aldi are undeniably SHITE, as Germans don't really eat them. They mostly cook food from fresh, as we do.

Therefore, in that instance, the main UK supermarkets will always cater better for your needs

Marco.
    not a milk drinker either although can manage cereal, just not floating cereal...
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Lol@"floating cereal". I know exactly what you mean and detest it! I've just never been into any types of cereal, or porridge (yes I know you love that), or anything of that ilk. I just wasn't brought up on it.

For us, for breakfast, it was cold meats, cheeses, or pastries or toast, and sometimes yogurts/fresh fruit, washed down with tea or coffee and/or fresh orange or grapefruit juice, and perhaps some scrambled or poached eggs on toast. Or the very occasional fry up!

Btw, returning to your point on British crisps, yes I agree. There's nothing wrong with them, and indeed many are excellent. However, the bog-standard stuff, from Walkers and such like doesn't really do it for me, I prefer the 'Kettle Chips', and other hand-cooked varieties, which have a REAL taste of potato.

Now if you go abroad and try virtually ANY make of 'ready salted' crisps [San Carlo are a good example in Italy], they all have that taste of REAL potato, without you having to pay extra for 'hand-cooked' varieties. That, for me, is the main difference. Plus, here in the UK, a lot of the crips flavours I once loved have now gone...

What happened to Tomato or Worcestershire Sauce flavoured crisps? Pickled onion (Tudor's were fab), smokey bacon, gammon, Bovril, and even curry flavoured - remember those?

I used to love eating all those at school... The problem too is that back then we had crips from all different manufacturers, Smiths, Golden Wonder, Tudor, etc, and they all had their own individual 'take' on what salt and vinegar, or whatever other common flavour tasted like, and so some would be more vinegary than others, saltier or cheesier, or whatever. There was real variety!

Now that Walkers have largely cornered and dominate the UK crisp market, everything has become rather homogenised and 'samey'. Plus, the contents inside the packets have got smaller, yet more expensive!

Progress? No, not for me.

Marco.

+ Reply to Thread