+ Reply to Thread
Page 238 of 483 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238239240248288338 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,380 of 4823

Thread: The Coffeehouse.... Baristi, Barista, Bariste

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Interesting viewpoint dude.

The horse meat mince put me off LIDL. And their German white sausage was inedible. I also had red peppers that were rotten inside but otherwise looked OK. More than once.

Some of their red wines quite frankly tasted odd. Even what is for them their expensive ones. Not unpleasant odd, quite nice but not what I would call red wine. I suspected adulterants of some kind i.e. not all grape.

Best thing in there was their salted peanuts. Can't remember the brand but they were to die for. Really cheap, too. Then they stopped selling them. Nail in the coffin for me.

Maybe you're LIDL stocks better stuff. Very possible. The one we have is naff.
    It's all about opinions, based on your relevant experience. The Lidl near you might not be as good (perhaps due to bad management) as my local one, but generally they tend to stock the same stuff. One thing that might explain the poor quality of the fresh produce you've had is that Lidl tend to use local suppliers, so perhaps the produce in your area, selected by Lidl, isn't as good? Dunno...

Don't like white sausage, so have no experience of that, but love Bratwurst (what they sell in market stalls in streets and in trains stations in Germany, fried with onions and served in buns with mustard), and trust me, the stuff in Lidl is as authentic as you'll get. You must've had it/seen it for sale when you've been over to the Munich hi-fi show. And the German beer sold in either Lidl or Aldi is genuine German Pils, and superb, especially the Octoberfest stuff and Lowenbrau they're currently selling!

As for the wine, you've either been very unfortunate or have bought the wrong stuff. Don't buy anything 'new world', or Spanish, as chances are it'll be crap. That's not Lidl's (or Aldi's) forte.

Stick with German wines or Italian or French, and you really can't go wrong, as long as you're spending £7 a bottle or more. Anything less than that is liable not to be a very rewarding experience. Their Prosecco (DOCG Valdobbiadene) is among the best I've tasted from any supermarket, and for that quality cheaper than found elsewhere. And their Chianti Riserva (Gallo Nero) is also excellent.

Also, their fresh pasta, particularly that of Aldi, is top-notch. These Girasoli, for example, served with your own homemade Ragu sauce [pic below taken from what I've eaten and subsequently posted on the food thread], are as good as you'll find in most UK Italian restaurants, and way better than anything I've had from Waitrose: https://www.aldi.co.uk/spinach-%26-r...75029129468700

Gorgeous! Oh, and the quality of their fresh Parmigiano Reggiano (DOC) is also better, IMO, than anything sold in Waitrose, or any other supermarket, for that matter.

Marco.

I'm Justin.

I was just cutting you some slack with the 'maybe the sell better stuff'. But you might be right wrt veg. Who knows.

The main thing is you're happy with yours.

As as a point of note I actually spend more in Sainsbury's than Waitrose. I consider it to be the best in terms of price/performance locally.

But I food shop in quite a few different places. Including delis. When I lived in Redland in Bristol the choice was quite a bit more varied. It's not bad out here, though.

Lol - don't 'cut me slack', and patronise me like that. I don't need it!

We're entitled to disagree. I'm simply confident that you haven't yet experienced the best that Lidl (or Aldi) has to offer, as you probably haven't been often enough to find it, and/or have just missed it or not thought about it.

Sainsbury's is not bad. It's probably the supermarket we use most after Lidl. However, like you, we like to buy from delis, but preferably farm shops, as delis can often be overpriced. Anything that's perceived as 'posh' these places tend to overcharge, and it pisses me off, as it discourages people who don't have much money from eating well.

Too many delis in this country are founded upon snobbish/elitist principles, rather than sticking to selling honest top-notch produce, from local suppliers, at realistic prices.

That's the difference between delis here and those, say, in France or Italy. Over there, the bulk of their customers are ordinary home cooks, producing basic meals for their families, and the stuff sold is priced accordingly. whereas here, they tend to cater for the snob 'dinner party' set, who like to 'impress' their guests by paying through the nose for a bulb of wild garlic and couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary!

That is NOT what good food, or cooking, is about.

Marco.

I'm Justin.

I got to the stage that I decided I just couldn't trust the local LIDL. I probably shopped in there about 25 times in total. So I did buy quite a bit in there.

But expert in all their stock? No way. Of course I missed some of the good stuff.

Sure, at the end of the day, life's too short to keep going back to somewhere you've been disappointed with. However, equally it's unwise to completely write it off. I only issued you with the '£100 challenge' because I'm confident I could invite you here and cook you a meal consisting entirely of stuff bought from Lidl (including the beer or wine) and you'd love it!

Marco.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Opps - its Unkle Funka.

Ordered 250g.

Rest of order for today will be for Wogan. Their packaging and marketing don't look great but the coffee really is brilliant value. I have to say I think overall regardless of price it is better than Extract.
    Thanks for reminding me about Wogan - I tried several times to put in an order with them over the past few months but their website had some bug where it would never complete the transaction. Anyway, I put in an order tonight for Brazilian Santos and Nicaraguan La Bastille. Hope I like them as Wogan prices are more than reasonable and postage is very cheap!
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Thanks for reminding me about Wogan - I tried several times to put in an order with them over the past few months but their website had some bug where it would never complete the transaction. Anyway, I put in an order tonight for Brazilian Santos and Nicaraguan La Bastille. Hope I like them as Wogan prices are more than reasonable and postage is very cheap!
    Yeah I had trouble ordering on my mobile. Tried the laptop and it was fine.

Their coffee is distinctive. I really like it but I am sure their roasting process imparts a character that runs across all their coffees. The same is true for other coffee roasters e.g. Extract and Has Bean.

Hope you like it. It certainly packs a lot of flavour. More so than most.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sure, at the end of the day, life's too short to keep going back to somewhere you've been disappointed with. However, equally it's unwise to completely write it off. I only issued you with the '£100 challenge' because I'm confident I could invite you here and cook you a meal consisting entirely of stuff bought from Lidl (including the beer or wine) and you'd love it!

Marco.
    Well I like Hoegaarden...; Might pop in and see if you are right.

I'll be honest with you, though. If I disagree you will know about it. Just don't get pissed if I disagree.

Ha - not at all. Similarly, if I robustly defend an alternative view from yours on something I know a lot about, don't pee your panties about it

Marco.

I'm Grant.

Quite like some stuff from lidl but a lot of it isn't my cuppa either.
    Rotter choc us good but so are British chocs. All depends on what you like, often from what your used to.
    We have a giant new one opening very shortly. So will report on it soon, but price isn't always everything..

And neither is being German. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread