+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DAC on a wire

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by devilsound View Post
    Definitely! We just put up a whole lot of technical information about the guts, if anyone's interested in the architecture / chipset, you might want to check out the new design section.
    Well must admit I'm impressed that you've managed to cram all this in such a compact space.
    Interesting dac choice

I'm BigBobJoylove.

That is tight in there.

Has anyone heard one yet?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

JC, apparently
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    (from the linked article)

Cool devices those CPLDs aren't they, thats what I am using at the moment in my project to produce a differential i2s stream to drive a pair of 1541.

I should read up the link to the USB to i2s conversion links, not something I have looked at yet. Given that I listen to music at work on headphones using the PC as a source maybe its time I did
    Yeah, very cool. Actually, I'm not sure how else to do it, at least in that small of a space. I think some DIY types of projects use re-clockers like the CS8420 or similar, but I'm not sure if this is a good solution, since it can add resampling artifacts (?), and it's sort of overkill (price, size, and power consumption) ...

There are some bit-shifting chips out there (shift registers), but you need quite a number of shifts, especially if you want to use one word clock for both channels ... not sure if anyone's had much luck with these, any suggestions? I think the CPLD stands, but I'm wondering what people do for breadboard / prototype types of project ...

Jonathan
    devilsound labs

I'm Nick.

I'm wondering what people do for breadboard / prototype types of project ...
    At the momewnt I am using one of their Coolrunner II X boards, at $50 its hard to beat. The connections to and from the board are longer that I would hope, but it allows me to experiment with the vhdl. I plan to get a smaller board made wth just the clpd and a tentlabs clock source, enough IO and the JTAG pins, but that for later.

It certainly beats wirewrapping prototypes up (there thats me showing my age :-)).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12