+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mice in the loft

I'm Dave.

Default Mice in the loft

Through the Summer, I have been inundated with Mice in the Loft. Apparently, they have been a big problem for many people and may have something to do with the vanishing hedgerows I asked about on another thread. Their habitat has disappeared, so they invade our's.

Anyway, I have poison bait in trays and 10 Mouse and Rat traps in the loft and catch, on average, one Mouse per day. It's a bloody nightmare, because I have to get them out of the loft before the Bluebottles lay their eggs in the body. I inadvertently left a body for a week, on a couple of occasions and the result was not pretty.

The Rentokil man came today and showed me with his 'special' torch, which shows up the luminous dust he had put down, where the little buggers are getting in. This is a very narrow gap between the lined roof tiles and the flooring in the loft. I would like to block some of these gaps but not sure what to use. The Rentokil man suggested "wire wool" but not sure how I would cut this and get it in the gaps, which are difficult to access. It needs to be something the little buggers won't chew at.

Any suggestions ?

I'm Grant.

copper wool mixed with some caulking. cement might be better. if you can get someone with a ladder you might get at it easier from outside for that. wire wool they are inclined to eat through.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Through the Summer, I have been inundated with Mice in the Loft. Apparently, they have been a big problem for many people and may have something to do with the vanishing hedgerows I asked about on another thread. Their habitat has disappeared, so they invade our's.

Anyway, I have poison bait in trays and 10 Mouse and Rat traps in the loft and catch, on average, one Mouse per day. It's a bloody nightmare, because I have to get them out of the loft before the Bluebottles lay their eggs in the body. I inadvertently left a body for a week, on a couple of occasions and the result was not pretty.

The Rentokil man came today and showed me with his 'special' torch, which shows up the luminous dust he had put down, where the little buggers are getting in. This is a very narrow gap between the lined roof tiles and the flooring in the loft. I would like to block some of these gaps but not sure what to use. The Rentokil man suggested "wire wool" but not sure how I would cut this and get it in the gaps, which are difficult to access. It needs to be something the little buggers won't chew at.

Any suggestions ?
    My mum's got them at the moment,though they seem to be getting in via air bricks, grills have been fitted. Could you use something like poly filler?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    copper wool mixed with some caulking. cement might be better. if you can get someone with a ladder you might get at it easier from outside for that. wire wool they are inclined to eat through.
    I had big problems with mice when living in a dilapidated Victorian house in East London as a student. They were entering through a chewed hole in the kitchen skirting board. I used a combined physical/chemical attack. Some Brillo pads infused with "cement" made of Polyfilla and crushed paracetamol tablets. Did the job!

I'm Neil.

Default Mice in the loft

My wife has a Yorkshire Terrier with a lot of ratting experience from clearing out stables, best method going. She is relentless!

It is instinctive for them, they used to brought into cotton mills to keep the mice and rat population down during the industrial revolution.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    My wife has a Yorkshire Terrier with a lot of ratting experience from clearing out stables, best method going. She is relentless!

It is instinctive for them, they used to brought into cotton mills to keep the mice and rat population down during the industrial revolution.
    Aye send a Yorkie up, not mine though,soft as a brush
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

The Patterdale Terrier is often cited as the best ratter though their instincts make them suspect as pets. I seem to recall one killing a child a few years back. In earlier years there used to be "ratting clubs" where owners would take their dogs out for a day's hunting, often accounting for hundreds of rats in a single day! Whatever happened to "What Ratter" Magazine?

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Colin used one of these electronic devices when he had mice in the kitchen

Available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Control-Ins...nic+mouse+trap

And very effective it was. Just don't get your fingers anywhere near the plates as it gives you a very nasty shock
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    The Patterdale Terrier is often cited as the best ratter though their instincts make them suspect as pets. I seem to recall one killing a child a few years back. In earlier years there used to be "ratting clubs" where owners would take their dogs out for a day's hunting, often accounting for hundreds of rats in a single day! Whatever happened to "What Ratter" Magazine?
    The farmer used to do that when I was young. had a meet with a number of dogs and then lift the hay bases... rats everywhere.. some huge
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

My dad had a friend who had a mouse that would come into the living room via a hole in skirting Tom & Jerry style.

He sat waiting on it one night and shot it with his .22 rifle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast