+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linn Studio Master Recordings

Default Linn Studio Master Recordings

Did you see my thread on pfm today about Linn Studio Master recordings and how to play them? It lasted two pages and Tony L deleted the lot. I had lots of fan mail and messages of thanks and support, for the help and advice I gave.

Whilst we'd like you to share the information with us, this is not the place to comment on Tony L's decision to delete the thread on pfm.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Whilst we'd like you to share the information with us, this is not the place to comment on Tony L's decision to delete the thread on pfm.
    Oh No, of course, I agree entirely.

If you, or anyone else would like to see the info it contained, how is it best posted ? please advise ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi JC,

Just rewrite what you wrote on PFM and post it here - simple. Then we'll judge it on its merit, or otherwise

I'm sure we'll have no problem with the content, as long as like Steve says, you're not doing it just to have a dig at Tony (he and PFM must not be mentioned in derogatory terms) or it's not just blatant slagging off of Linn. The subject matter and intent behind the proposed discussion must be of a constructive nature.

I look forward to reading your views in due course.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

JC,

Why worry about itunes trying to play FLAC when there is http://cogx.org/ which plays ALL the lossless formats and more. itunes is overbloated and outdated.

JC,

Like you refer to vinyl/valves as legacy, itunes is no different, it is antiquated. Maybe it's time for you to move with the times than to preach to others. just some food for thought.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Bloody hell, JC. I don't have the time or the inclination to go through all that! I meant for you to provide a condensed version of the thread which centred around your thoughts on the matter.

If you wish me to comment you will have to edit your post and provide some kind of succinct and readable summary of the thread in question.

Also, I sincerely hope (I didn't bother reading your last contribution for reasons specified) that you haven't been referring to valves and vinyl again as "legacy" equipment on here because as you know fine and well that kind of nonsense talk is banned and part of the deal we struck before I allowed you back.

*Edit - I've just quickly scanned through the reams of text and noticed this little 'pearl of wisdom', then quickly switched off and ignored the rest!

For those who are beginning to see the light and move away from legacy hifi and museum grade equipment.
    Why do you insist on writing that kind of derogatory and disrespectful nonsense, even on other forums??

{Shakes head in despair and disbelief}

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

SS, sorry I don't think you're right, iTunes is in it's seventh major revision, and the sixth update of that ther is no other program that will do what iTunes does, you're not being factual.

I'm not preaching, I'm helping those who want to understand the issues, if you don't like the thread don't read it. I've posted it because several people asked to see it, inc Marco and Steve.

There are several firms now including Linn, Naim, and Reference Recordings, who are saying their very highest quality music can only be played on a computer, because the resolution, dynamic range, and signal to noise ratio, is better than cd or vinyl.

It's them saying it not me SS !

AND who said you couldn't use a valve amp and your favourite speakers ? not me ! you just need a computer to act as the source.

Stop hasseling me needlessly, before you've understood, SS !

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Bloody hell, JC. I don't have the time or the inclination to go through all that! I meant for you to provide a condensed version of the thread which centred around your thoughts on the matter.

If you wish me to comment you will have to edit your post and provide some kind of succinct and readable summary of the thread in question.

Also, I sincerely hope (I didn't bother reading your last contribution for reasons specified) that you haven't been referring to valves and vinyl again as "legacy" equipment on here because as you know fine and well that kind of nonsense talk is banned and part of the deal we struck before I allowed you back.

Marco.
    It's ok Marco, I only said it was "legacy" stuff on pfm, I just pointed out to SS that it's perfectly ok to use valve kit.

I think the thread is very, very, important and I'm really not trying to shit stir. I think you should carefully read the thread when you've got five mins, with an open mind, and tell me what you think about getting better sound by using higher quality recordings.

JC,

Looks like you enjoy twisting and turning issues to your advantage.

Well let me break it down further. You have gone on about sound quality and how itunes is the next best thing to sliced bread. My point is itunes purely on sound quality is antiquated, of course it's feature rich etc, at the cost of sound quality.

You and your sidekick ashley hark on about how great computer based audio is etc, well yes it is, but not via itunes. You want better sound quality then I suggest you and your sidekick look at foobar. Foobar is better than itunes on sound quality, and the nearest thing for a mac good as foobar is cogx.

On final note i'm a mac user too, but i happen to have an open mind about what will give me the best sound quality using a computer, unlike you and your sidekick, who's primary factor is lifestyle marketing.

PS My digital source is a squeezebox.
    Last edited by SolidState; 12-05-2008 at 17:57.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast