+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 453 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What Jazz or Blues are you spinning?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Oh yeah, Joe Henderson, what an absolute genius and what about his album 'Double Rainbow' again, on vinyl.
    I have the Double rainbow date on CD rip but I'd live to have it on vinyl..
    Good shout Shaun..it's a great recording
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Shaun, Great shout!! Hank Mobley's 'Soul Station' is just a bloody fantastic record.
    Hank Mobley – tenor, Wynton Kelly – piano, Paul Chambers – bass, Art Blakey – drums... all on their A game, great playing and wonderful tunes.

A heads up for the ultimate SQ reissue of this title is the Music Matters 45rpm cut, a work of art, reproduced with passion and love..of course at a price (£50) but it's a classic record that warrants it IMHO,
    arguably better sounding and certainly cheaper than an original Blue Note W63rd copy, which in good nick will set you back a cool £2,000 !

Prompted by your post Adam I went and got the 2013 remaster of this. Really good, alive and 'present'. Whatever they were recording this album with in 1960 was just right. Would love to hear what this album sounds like on your 45 and 33 albums. You have both in that little LP collection of yours?

Was trying to find out if for the 2013 remaster the engineers had access to the original master tapes or was it an LP rip? To my ears it sounds like the masters.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

In anticipation of this new “Jazz and Blues” area, I’ve been spinning the following:

First the Blues, as it was my first love

Elmore James – ‘The Sky is Crying’

Son House – ‘The Original Delta Blues’

[B]Big Joe Williams – ‘Sings the Blues’

and the Jazz:

Bix Beiderbecke – ‘Riverboat Shuffle’

Jan Garbarek – ‘Visible World’, ‘Legends of the Seven Dreams’ and ‘Twelve Moons’

Nina Simone – ‘Released’

and in memoriam

Fats Domino – ‘Blueberry Hill’

(OK, so it’s not blues nor is it jazz, but it was the start of Rock ‘n’ Roll, and ‘fats’ Domino took the sobriquet 'Fats' from the boogie-woogie pianist Fats Waller.)

RIP Fats.
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

Oh yes, Jan Garbarek 'Twelve Moons', what a fantastic album and I think it features Eberhard Weber on bass doesn't it. What an absolute musical genius. I love this as an alternative to Brian Eno's ambient music.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post

Prompted by your post Adam I went and got the 2013 remaster of this. Really good, alive and 'present'. Whatever they were recording this album with in 1960 was just right. Would love to hear what this album sounds like on your 45 and 33 albums. You have both in that little LP collection of yours?

Was trying to find out if for the 2013 remaster the engineers had access to the original master tapes or was it an LP rip? To my ears it sounds like the masters.
    Hi Edward, I'm pretty damn sure the original recording engineer, The LEGENDARY Mr. Rudy Van Gelder, remastered his own original tapes for those 2013 CD reissues.
    Only Rudy Van Gelder was to really know how these sessions were to sound, so it completes the circle for the man himself to do the remasters. As we all know the dreaded remaster by other engineers
    have seriously messed up some great recordings. Interestingly the first CDs in the 1980's from Blue Note were, I believe, lifted directly from cleaned up Vinyl rips and sounded bloody terrible,
    produced with little care and thought and just desperate to get them on the CD medium as quick as possible, not remastered and not touched by RVG himself.
    If your are unfamiliar with RVG, i beg you to just internet search him, truly an astonishing body of work. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at Englewood Cliffs Studio in the late 50's to the late 60's!!

RVG was an absolute perfectionist. You can hear Miles Davis on a particular RVG session requesting if Miles himself could just move a Mic a tad...RVG was having none of it!
    An optometrist by trade, and in the early years kept his day job and recorded the likes of Coltrane in the evening at his home studio. Just Remarkable.

Anyway i'll do a piece on Rudy Van Gelder on this forum because he is basically the Don!

You are due a visit with your amp over to mine and I will give you wizz through a few of those Music Matters reissues in comparison to the Original Blue Notes. Quite something to hear.
    Hank Mobley's Soul Station is one of the Music's great moments.

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

Sitting at the Mac
    SONNY CLARK - Cool Struttin' (The Rudy Van Gelder Edition)
    is 'spinning' on Tidal and it just flows. Again another stone wall classic IMHO.

Arun Ghosh – ‘Primal Odyssey’

Miles Davis –‘Birth of the Cool’

Charlie Hayden (with Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell) – ‘The Montreal Tapes’

Jan Garbarek – ‘Madar’
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Loving the Charlie Haden and the ECM Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Loving the Charlie Haden and the ECM Barry.
    Thanks. There's a lot of interesting stuff on the ECM label: Keith Jarrett and Jan Garbarek to name two.
    Barry

I'm Paul.

I've enjoyed listening to both of these today

Yoko Miwa Trio - Fadeless Flower http://www.yokomiwa.com/discography/fadeless-flower/

Matthew Halsall - https://matthewhalsall.bandcamp.com/...ending-my-love
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 453 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast