+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 453 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: What Jazz or Blues are you spinning?

I'm Grant.

The great Lou Rawls

https://www.iomoio.com/covers/src/94/173494.jpg

hilarous monologue followed by some serious singing..

lou started out with sam cooke in the 50's after national service, and just kept reinventing himself
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The link wasn't working for me, so:

Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

John Coltrane - Live at the Village Vanguard Again!

Now

Cassandra Wilson - Blue Light 'till Dawn

Barry

I'm Grant.

soul of the tango/ yo yo ma and kathryn stott..

Inspired by a general love of the tango, and more specifically the tango of Astor Piazzolla, on the part of Yo-Yo Ma, the Soul of the Tango album is a masterful work of the nuevo tango, played by Ma's cello and many of Piazzolla's former associates. Piazzolla's old guitarists Sergio and Odair Assad even showed up to work on a pair of tracks arranged by Sergio: the Tango Suite (consisting of Andante and Allegro). The sheer beauty of one of Piazzolla's tangos is generally enough to warrant the purchase of an album involving them. An album such as this one, where all of the songs (save one: Tango Remembrances, where Ma plays along with outtakes from Piazzolla's recording of The Rough Dancer and the Cyclical Night album) are compositions by Piazzolla is even better. Add to this the masterful playing of Ma, and the surprising facility in which the cello fits into the tango, and you've got what could become a classic album, but it was labelled as classical, thus is less likely to be seen and heard.
    Astor Piazzolla's stuff is seriously good, and unique
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

King Curtis. Live at Fillmore West.

Recorded in front of an enthusiastic audience and released just one week before Curtis' murder in 1971, Live at Fillmore West is a brilliant confirmation of the saxophonist's place in popular music. Backed up by Atlantic's top session men, as well as Billy Preston and the Memphis Horns, Curtis rips through some of the biggest hits of the day, transforming them into showcases for his soulful playing and the group's outstanding rhythmic interplay.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm brian.

Grant , I love yo yo ma, but jazz or blues it isn’t, by any stretch of the genre !!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    Grant , I love yo yo ma, but jazz or blues it isn’t, by any stretch of the genre !!!
    not sure i'd agree, but your entitled to your opinion Brian Rhythm and Blues is blues and jazz fusion tbh, although i would agree its not pure either... Still, King Curtis deserves to be held in this genre as he played a lot of both, but as he once said, "I like to live good" so played much r&b...
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not sure i'd agree, but your entitled to your opinion Brian Rhythm and Blues is blues and jazz fusion tbh, although i would agree its not pure either... Still, King Curtis deserves to be held in this genre as he played a lot of both, but as he once said, "I like to live good" so played much r&b...
    No problem with king curtis being in this JAZZ and BLUES thread. Rightly so.

But YO YO MA and KATHRYN STOTT............

There is no Jazz, no blues, no improvising, no nothing.......that is indicative of either genre.

Just two ( very good at what they do) classical musicians looking to earn a few quid and jumping in to a genre that they think will bring in those quids.

Ive found one track. This is it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dHr0YWia-OE

without wanting to open a whole “what is jazz/ blues “ debate. This music is neither.

It is not and never will be Either Jazz, Blues, Jazz fusion or any other of the idioms that they are trying to attach themselves to.

I'm Grant.

it was more about Astor Piazzola than YoYo tbh, but showing how well the cello could adapt to Tango Nuevo, which has some of its origins in jazz fusion. His oeuvre revolutionized the traditional tango into a new style, incorporating elements from jazz and classical music.

Obviously I shouldn't have bothered
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm brian.

Grant, not at all. It’s great to have discussions about stuff.

Just different views.

I would have no problem with the music of piazzola being in this thread. I love it.

+ Reply to Thread