+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Darkest Africa!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greetings from Darkest Africa!

Hi all,

In this case, Darkest Africa refers to Johannesburg, South Africa.

Mois? 64 years old, 40+ years in IT, 39+ years in Wedlock (same wench), 2 x daughters (hands off!), music more important than audio gear (audio gear is a means to an end), absolutely zero Naim kit, other interests include handmade knives, photography, reading, ... and avoiding traffic fines.

Favourite beer: Windhoek Lager (local fro Namibia)
    Favourite spirit: Laphroaig
    Favourite meal: Kingklip Thermidor

And that about sums it up...

See you around.

Dave (aka DE)
    If music be the love of food, eat on!
    SYSTEM:
    Linn LP12/HercII/Ittok LVII/Kontrapunkt 'h'/ /Theta Data Basic II & DSPro GenVa/ /Yamaha CDR-HD1300/ /Rotel RT-03
    Classe' CP500/ /2 x Jeff Rowland Model 201/ /Tannoy D700/ /PS Audio Quintet/ /PS Audio power cords & i/cs

I'm Neil.

Hi Dave

Welcome to AoS.

Enjoyed your recent input on PFM (you write very well imho)

What kind of gear does your system consist of exactly ? (sorry to be nosey), and what kind of music do you like ?

Like the Avatar. Are you a liker of all things Trek ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Hi Dave

Welcome to AoS.

Enjoyed your recent input on PFM (you write very well imho)

What kind of gear does your system consist of exactly ? (sorry to be nosey), and what kind of music do you like ?

Like the Avatar. Are you a liker of all things Trek ?

Regards D S D L
    Hi DS,

Gear details, connection diagram and pics posted in Welcome Forum. (I decided to get that out of the way asap)

Music tastes? Fairly eclectic, but can't stand Rap, Heavy Metal, and the like (could never understand why anyone would to use high-resolution and high-fidelity to reproduce distortion)

Most popular genres? Jazz, Female Vocals (Jazz & non-Jazz), 60s Rock, Classical, New Age/Fusion, Spoken Word (mainly comedy shows from early BBC days - Goons, Hancock, Horne, etc)

Like all things Trek? Not really - a fair proportion though! But 7of9 was always a drawcard to Voyager...

Anyway, good to be here and thanks for the welcome!

Dave
    SYSTEM:
    Linn LP12/HercII/Ittok LVII/Kontrapunkt 'h'/ /Theta Data Basic II & DSPro GenVa/ /Yamaha CDR-HD1300/ /Rotel RT-03
    Classe' CP500/ /2 x Jeff Rowland Model 201/ /Tannoy D700/ /PS Audio Quintet/ /PS Audio power cords & i/cs

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DevillEars View Post
    Hi DS,

Gear details, connection diagram and pics posted in Welcome Forum. (I decided to get that out of the way asap)

Music tastes? Fairly eclectic, but can't stand Rap, Heavy Metal, and the like (could never understand why anyone would to use high-resolution and high-fidelity to reproduce distortion)

Most popular genres? Jazz, Female Vocals (Jazz & non-Jazz), 60s Rock, Classical, New Age/Fusion, Spoken Word (mainly comedy shows from early BBC days - Goons, Hancock, Horne, etc)

Like all things Trek? Not really - a fair proportion though! But 7of9 was always a drawcard to Voyager...

Anyway, good to be here and thanks for the welcome!

Dave
    Indeed she was.

I had not noticed your posts in the Gallery, when I posted the above.

Thank you for that. Its always really useful to see the rooms and set ups of members, so we can see where you are coming from. Its a really nice system and room.

Good taste in music too.

Once again you are very welcome to AoS.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I very much liked the Theta CD players and knew the equivalent lower models well, together with the Casanova modular thingy and DaViD.

K kessler used the Pro Gen Va for a few years and I've always wanted to hear one....

P.S. We may have to "educate" you on your vinyl player choice though..................
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    P.S. We may have to "educate" you on your vinyl player choice though..................
    Thieves who helped with other upgrades refused to steal the bloody thing!

Actually, the combination of TT/Arm/Cart does work together rather well, so am satisfied (until Lotto smiles in my direction).

Dave
    SYSTEM:

I'm ILOB.

Welcome Dave
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Mike.

Doctor deVilliers, I presume.

I like the bit about 40 years in I.T. and 39 in wedlock. You must have had a bloody good software program going in those non-digitised years.

I have three (grown-up) daughters, so I commiserate.

T'is good to see you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Doctor deVilliers, I presume.

I like the bit about 40 years in I.T. and 39 in wedlock. You must have had a bloody good software program going in those non-digitised years.

I have three (grown-up) daughters, so I commiserate.

T'is good to see you here.
    Hi there Mike,

Nice to see you playing Stanley to my Livingstone!

Ta for the pointer and the welcome - this could be fun!

BTW: To all other, if you want someone to blame for my arrival, look no further!!

Well, the sun is over the yardarm and its been another hot day, so time to crack open a beer. Gentlemen! The eBar is open!!!

Dave
    SYSTEM:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Dave.

I remember drinking, and enjoying, copious quantities of Windhoek lager when I visited Namibia many years ago.

Laphroaig wiskey? That's one of my favourites as well.

Music tastes? A healthily wide range there. Love them all (apart from New Age/Fusion)!

Enjoy the forum

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast