+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cart Loading MC

I'm Simon.

Default Cart Loading MC

This is a 50/50 topic (diy bent).

Assume you're buying a fancy new phonostage, what would you expect for MC loading options? Are you happy swapping resistors in siL sockets, do you expect DIP switches or do you want to see some multi-position mil-spec switched attenuator type arrangement?

What's the best you've owned and used?

Pics if possible please... ;-)
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    This is a 50/50 topic (diy bent).

Assume you're buying a fancy new phonostage, what would you expect for MC loading options? Are you happy swapping resistors in siL sockets, do you expect DIP switches or do you want to see some multi-position mil-spec switched attenuator type arrangement?

What's the best you've owned and used?

Pics if possible please... ;-)
    I want a proper set of the appropriate switches fitted with proper knobs and located on the front panel. No internal jumper or solder links and none of those ridiculous PCB mounting DIP switches hidden away on the back panel or underneath.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I want a proper set of the appropriate switches fitted with proper knobs and located on the front panel. No internal jumper or solder links and none of those ridiculous PCB mounting DIP switches hidden away on the back panel or underneath.
    Yep, would be really nice.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes, front panel switches for both gain, and for cartridge loading resistance and capacitance.

Regarding the latter, I would like to see a choice of 47R (for Transfiguration cartridges and for Ortofon SPUs), 100R (for the majority of MC carts), 240R (for EMTs) and 390R (for Denon 103s). And an ability to add 2.2uF for some Fidelity Research MCs.
    Barry

I'm stuart.

big adjustable knob on the front which you can fiddle with til your hearts content, as used on the Project Phono RS.

I'm Dave.

Depends on price. If it's an inexpensive unit, then a fixed load is appropriate.

As you go further up the price scale, then dip switches will do a good job and then onto rotary switches for top notch gear. An extra position for variable loading where internal resistor changes can be made, might be useful at the top end of the price range.

I'm Alan.

I prefer to see loading sockets, so a loading plug can be fitted with whatever resistance and/or capacitance is required.

Easy to implement, very flexible and not expensive to have a few different 'loads'. Plus no tiny switches in circuit.

I'm Andrew.

Hi Si,

This is the same thing I asked you to do for my Paradise if I remember properly. The difference being that I'd have liked some sort of numerical display to give an exact reading of loading for preferably in both channels. I'd love to have a multi-position mil-spec switched attenuator for each channel with high precision resistors something like 0.1% tolerance . This way you can have all the loading characteristics you like so you can utilise DECCA's, Denon's, SPU's, EMT's etc etc. It would be costly but it might be the last word is messing around????? I'm still up for it if you fancy doing something for me. We might even have to change cases, maybe a two box grab handle thingy.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dave.

I have a Uphorik phono stage, and excellent it is too, but the switches are underneath and you have to try different loadings with the box upside down. It would spoil the look of the box if they were on the front like the Project, but it would be easier to set up. I suppose the logic is that once you've found the right settings, you don't touch it again for a long time, so underneath is tidy.

I'm Simon.

It's more curiosity than anything else.

I know what I'm happy with but I'm interested in the breadth of opinion out there. The Project option looks like what I thought a top end solution would be. I was thinking of a decent taper giving values from a handful of ohms up to 1k, maybe 20 values in total.

Andy it would really need to be a re-box for yours to fit those ELMA switches in. RCA socket loading I could do for you no bother in your current cases, but based on what you say you want it visible.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

------------------------------------------------------

"you make it hard to be nice to you"
    Last edited by sq225917; 25-10-2017 at 14:49.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast