+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Croft 25R Preamp Tube rolling

I'm James.

Just to make sure my ears were not tricking me I swapped back to the NOS Tesla's last night and back to the JJTesla valves today and the JJ are definitely superior. I must mention that this is only in the regulation stage not the phono stage. I might try some more JJ in there sometime.

This has been quite a surprise.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

Are these the valves which the amps come fitted with James
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Are these the valves which the amps come fitted with James
    They are Brian. Have you still got the originals in your phono stage or did you replace them?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Brian.

I don't have a phono stage in this amp mate . I do however , have the original JJ valve which was fitted in the preamp . Is it worth putting it back in for a listen ? Also is it worth getting one for the power amp . Bit of a learning curve mate as these amps are fairly new to me
    Regards
    Brian

I'm James.

I don't have a phono stage in this amp mate . I do however , have the original JJ valve which was fitted in the preamp . Is it worth putting it back in for a listen ? Also is it worth getting one for the power amp . Bit of a learning curve mate as these amps are fairly new to me
    Sorry forgot it is line stage preamp only. Have a try and see what you think and yes could be still good in power amp. I think you might find them slightly more dynamic in both amps and a bit more detailed.

I would be very interested to see what you think mate.

I'm James.

Depends on system matching and personal preference. JJ valves have long been a favourite of mine, I have banged the drum for their 300b endlessly as they sound great in my amp, are well made, and measure very well. And they have a poor rep so are cheap to buy. The ECC83 types had a reputation for failing a while ago, I have no Idea if this was merited. Again, they measure well and are well made, much better than most Chinese boutique stuff. Who knows, anyway they measure well but different to eg. Tele smooth plate and Tesla frame grids. I rather suspect that in Croft amps the Mullard box plates would be a revelation (albeit at a price). Anyone tried them?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Brian.

OK mate . I have just put the JJ valve back into the preamp and yes , it is noticeably more dymamic . Quite different from the Mullard which was in there . I will probably have to live with it for a few days before making a decision on which I prefer
    Regards
    Brian

I'm James.

OK mate . I have just put the JJ valve back into the preamp and yes , it is noticeably more dymamic . Quite different from the Mullard which was in there . I will probably have to live with it for a few days before making a decision on which I prefer
    The Mullards is probably warmer, the JJ a bit leaner and more detailed ?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Depends on system matching and personal preference. JJ valves have long been a favourite of mine, I have banged the drum for their 300b endlessly as they sound great in my amp, are well made, and measure very well. And they have a poor rep so are cheap to buy. The ECC83 types had a reputation for failing a while ago, I have no Idea if this was merited. Again, they measure well and are well made, much better than most Chinese boutique stuff. Who knows, anyway they measure well but different to eg. Tele smooth plate and Tesla frame grids. I rather suspect that in Croft amps the Mullard box plates would be a revelation (albeit at a price). Anyone tried them?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    JJ Tesla upgraded the ECC83 to the ECC83 S which was a significant improvement in SQ.

I'm Brian.

In your opinion is it worth trying an ECC83S James ?
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast