+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 w. RB300 -- cartridge recommendations

I'm Svend.

Yes, the belt is riding on the crown of the pulley, not on the tapered lower part (see the pics attached).

Re. slipping, if anything the tighter belt should have less likelihood of slipping, I would think. This behaviour is coincidental with putting the tighter belt on. Odd...

Edit: I checked the motor mount bolts, and they are about half-way along the adjustment slots. Lots of room to make the belt tighter or looser, if need be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Shane.

Firstly, yes I’d be very interested to hear about any experiments. AoS seems to be turning into the go-to place for the TT2, so the more we share experience the better.

as to the motor spin-up time, I’ve found this myself before now. With a looser belt, the belt slips on the motor pulley on startup allowing the motor to reach working speed almost instantly, whereas with a tighter belt the motor speed is held back by the inertia of the platter. It is a characteristic of synchronous motors that they only develop max torque at working speed, so if the motor is held back it will only develop a small amount of torque and thus will only accelerate the platter very slowly. It’s a bit like letting the clutch in on a manual car without giving it enough throttle. Once it reaches working speed, normal working is resumed. You may also notice that the chassis jumps about a bit as the motor ”bites” when it gets close to speed. If you want to restore a smooth start up, make sure the motor pulley is really clean as it may well have rubber residues from the old belt which will make it much grippier. A light dusting of the belt with talcum powder can also help.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Firstly, yes I’d be very interested to hear about any experiments. AoS seems to be turning into the go-to place for the TT2, so the more we share experience the better.
    Happy to do that. I'll try to be as objective as possible, and not just post something that's merely "different" as if it were an improvement. Hopefully my keen ears (not really , just flattering myself) and critical mind (yes, most definitely) will keep it on the up-'n-up.

As for the motor spin up, sounds like this is normal behaviour then. No harm done to the motor? Burn out of any kind? If there's a loud bang and the platter goes flying out the window, followed by a plume of smoke, I suppose that's a subtle hint that the motor is a wee bit overstressed

Seriously, good to know that there's nothing amiss here. Counter-intuitive that talcing up the belt helps it; one would think that it would promote slipping. But I've read this before so I guess it works. I think all I have is baby powder, not pure talcum. I'll pop round to the drug store and get some.

Thanks Shane! Always appreciate the help.

Best,
    Svend

I'm jamie.

I stand corrected
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Steve.

Yes, keep all the TT2 info coming - the wealth of TT2 knowledge on AoS was one of the reasons I joined. I could never understand why the TT2 didn't get mentioned much on any of the other forums.

My own TT2 is away with Steve at Magna Audio (Speedy.Steve on here I think) having a new arm board made and fitted. I could never quite get everything level and after reading of various problems people have experienced with warping I thought I'd take the plunge. He's also doing a heavy counter weight so I can position it closer to the pivot. I'll report back once I've collected it and got everything set up again.

I'm Shane.

This is something that’s always puzzled me. I can’t imagine that an arm board would ever warp in normal domestic use, so I’ve always supposed that this problem was due to an error in manufacturing, probably when the top surface was being sanded flat prior to painting. If you get a chance it would be interesting to measure the thickness of the faulty board on each edge. Should be a little les than 18mm, and of course the same on each edge.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Clive.

On my original measured just now with a tape measure it is a little over 17mm at the rear arm end and a little over 18mm at the front. The slope seemed to get worse ie around 2+mm with arm installed and platter levelled though some of that may have been due to my set up.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Yes, keep all the TT2 info coming - the wealth of TT2 knowledge on AoS was one of the reasons I joined. I could never understand why the TT2 didn't get mentioned much on any of the other forums.

My own TT2 is away with Steve at Magna Audio (Speedy.Steve on here I think) having a new arm board made and fitted. I could never quite get everything level and after reading of various problems people have experienced with warping I thought I'd take the plunge. He's also doing a heavy counter weight so I can position it closer to the pivot. I'll report back once I've collected it and got everything set up again.
    Sounds good Steve, I'll do that. Maybe we should start another thread dedicated to all things TT2? A repository of knowledge about this deck -- tweaks, mods, common problems and fixes, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't. I'd be happy to start the thread, but perhaps Shane should have the honour of starting it given his history with the TT2. Let me know what you guys think of that...

Clive, Steve -- re. your arm boards, that really is odd that they warped, although from Clive's msmt. it sounds like it was sanded improperly and not warped. As Shane said, it must have been something in manufacturing. Probably yours were made on a Friday afternoon...

I checked out mine, and it's fine. If I did anything to it, I would replace it only to put a nice wood veneer board on there to -- something out of a sustainable domestic hardwood, a blond wood like curly or birdseye maple would look great contrasted against the black finish of the plinth. Future project....
    Last edited by Svend N; 18-01-2018 at 17:24.

I'm jamie.

if you do,make sure you veneer both sides as it will warp.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Svend.

Thanks Jamie. Good advice. I wouldn't have thought plywood would do that, but better to be safe, and easy enough to do. Shane mentioned that the original armboard was made of two pieces of 9mm birch ply bonded together, and that had the best sound after much testing. I would make it the same way, but with the addition of the veneer. Come to think of it, I could just veneer the original board, as it seems to be nice and flat. But that will be a project for next winter -- I've got enough audio stuff and other house renos to do now to keep me plenty busy.

Cheers,
    Svend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast