+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: New to streaming, please help.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Apologies if this has already been covered but I'm wondering if the simplest solution to your requirements would be this:

https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/boss-player.html @ approx £105

This is a complete plug and play solution as you can order it with the streaming system pre-installed.

• The Boss player would be connected to your amp via RCA.
    • It can be accessed via computer, phone, or tablet.
    • It can be accessed wired or wirelessly.
    • It will stream Spotify and Youtube content.
    • It can access most Web Radio (including all BBC stations)
    • It can access any future music storage system (wired or wirelessly)
    • It can be updated online easily (using a simple screen on computer, phone or tablet)

and it sounds very good indeed!
    Forgot the important bit..Order it with the OS = Volumio
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    WHat the hell is a patch? I have no idea what you're talking about! But thanks anyway.
    A patch is what you use to fix things.
    Such as a bicycle inner tube, a leaky roof, or, as in this case, software.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

montesquieu Guest

WHat the hell is a patch? I have no idea what you're talking about! But thanks anyway.
    There are two approaches to this - use a hardware device built for streaming, or a computer (which is what a Raspberry Pi is, albeit a very small one).

With a hardware-based device, you still need software, this comes in the form of firmware upgrades every so often which are uploaded by various means to the device.

I wouldn't worry too much about spotify in the short term their interface seems to have been pretty stable but the principle is fair enough - at some point, now or in 5 years or whenever, things are likely to change. And with a hardware device you are stuck with whatever DAC they give you which may or may not be up to spec.

Using a computer you have loads of choices. Get pissed off with Spotify, they go bust (possible) or jack their prices up - then go elsewhere. You can try out all sorts of streamer software and service options - at the same time if you want, no hassle just fire them up - and aren't tied to any particular USB receiver or DAC. There are generally multiple choices for control from phones or tablet devices.

The challenge is - it's a computer and needs a bit of setting up. (To be fair so does any approach). An RPi isn't for a neophyte you have to learn to hack it to get it to work at all. I've worked in IT for 20 years and I still got fed up with it. I now use an ancient (9 year old) Macbook - a couple of hundred quid's worth these days - and it works perfectly. That either into a USB DAC or USB-SPDIF converter into a normal DAC, and you are cooking.

I looked at hardware devices before going down the computer route and for me it's a no-brainer.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    There are two approaches to this - use a hardware device built for streaming, or a computer (which is what a Raspberry Pi is, albeit a very small one).

With a hardware-based device, you still need software, this comes in the form of firmware upgrades every so often which are uploaded by various means to the device.

I wouldn't worry too much about spotify in the short term their interface seems to have been pretty stable but the principle is fair enough - at some point, now or in 5 years or whenever, things are likely to change. And with a hardware device you are stuck with whatever DAC they give you which may or may not be up to spec.

Using a computer you have loads of choices. Get pissed off with Spotify, they go bust (possible) or jack their prices up - then go elsewhere. You can try out all sorts of streamer software and service options - at the same time if you want, no hassle just fire them up - and aren't tied to any particular USB receiver or DAC. There are generally multiple choices for control from phones or tablet devices.

The challenge is - it's a computer and needs a bit of setting up. (To be fair so does any approach). An RPi isn't for a neophyte you have to learn to hack it to get it to work at all. I've worked in IT for 20 years and I still got fed up with it. I now use an ancient (9 year old) Macbook - a couple of hundred quid's worth these days - and it works perfectly. That either into a USB DAC or USB-SPDIF converter into a normal DAC, and you are cooking.

I looked at hardware devices before going down the computer route and for me it's a no-brainer.
    Its becoming clearer, sometime this century I might join the download revolution, until then its 33.3 revolutions. No seriously, for some reason I thought because a hifi company made a streamer it might sound better than a laptop, is this not the case?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Its becoming clearer, sometime this century I might join the download revolution, until then its 33.3 revolutions. No seriously, for some reason I thought because a hifi company made a streamer it might sound better than a laptop, is this not the case?
    It'll sound great until it doesn't work.
    If there are no patches it will be landfill.
    Chris

I'm Mike.

Are there any benefits to streamers at all? I mean 'proper' hifi streamers. I don't want my music sounding like a compressed olde worlde mp3 player!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Are there any benefits to streamers at all?
    You get to buy a shiny box that will work for a bit.

I mean 'proper' hifi streamers. I don't want my music sounding like a compressed olde worlde mp3 player!
    It doesn't matter how shiny the box is, or which brand name is on it, the defining thing about the sound is going to be the quality of the stream in the first place.
    Chris

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    +1

Pretty much any computer made in the last 10 years will give very acceptable results. In fact I had an old Dell machine (probably over 12 years old) and just for the lolz I threw Linux on and a mate is now using it as a JRiver server/renderer. Plays Spotify very nicely. Adam, of this parish, is currently using an old (about 4 years old) Win 10 HP machine of mine running Roon Core with Tidal and he seems well pleased.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

laptop, usb cable, usb dac, jriver and deezer hifi. job done
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

You aren't listening to a laptop ... you are listening to digitised sound (sound converted to binary bits) that needs stored, accessed, transported across networks, aligned in time order and decoded to analogue. Most of the hard bits of that are in the domain of computing, not hifi. The only real hifi bit of that is the output stage after the digital to analogue conversion. Everything else is processing in the digital domain.

I'd rather use the best individual components to do this - a Mac with remote ipad control for user interface, the best USB to SPDIF converstion possible, a good tube DAC - than rely on someone's choices of a one-box solution, fixed in metal until its inevitable obscolesce

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast