+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Phonomac AT-1010 Tonearm review

I'm Dave.

Hi, I am interested in one of these arms, being a newbie I may not be able to directly contact Phonomac as I tried to figure out how to PM him. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm jamie.

you have to make a certain number of posts before you can send a pm.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Dave.

OK, thanks!
    Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.
    Ludwig van Beethoven

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You need to make 5 posts David - 2 more to go, then you can use the Personal Message (PM) facility.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    I am not one for big reviews so I will keep it brief.

My PMAC arm replaced an SME IV on my TTS8000. I like it visually and sonically and Angus and others were extremely helpful, from order to installation and since. Angus also made a panzerholz armboard, to Jamie's measurements, that is beautifully finished and allows for perfect alignment.

The arm sounds great, from top to bottom, offering greater separation than the SME and more clearly defined tonal colours. It offers less bass than the SME but still is solid and detailed. I make the comparison with two cartridges, an Art-1 and an Oc9ii.

I do want to compare the Stevenson alignment (the standard for the arm) with Baerwald before I make definitive statements but I have owned a number of quality tonearms, including the SME iV, Nottingham Ace Anna and Origin Live Conqueror. In my opinion, the PMAC 1010 is at least in that league and possibly beyond. A longer period of consistent listening and settled alignment is the only way to avoid the hyperbolic whitterings of an exciteable new owner; give me a few months.

Having now tried Stevenson and Baerwald alignments, I have a preference for the latter. It gives me a little more top end detail without losing the bass definition. I am a little surprised given the arm was designed to use Stevenson but that's the way it is, for me.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm jamie.

ive often thought about trying other alignments,my thinking would be as long as you can line the cartridge up it doesn't matter what alignment the tonearm is designed to use. i suspect that to get Baerwald alignment you're not using a ms-9 headshell?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

I can align Baerwald with the AT headshells, yes.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm jamie.

that does suprise me as i thought you wouldn't be able to get the increased off set angle which is what put me off trying. i'll give it a go.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Horacio.

Waiting for my PMAT- Mk6, AT 33PTG/II and my Phonomac upgraded Denon HA500. Once everything arrives the only thing I'll have to do is to drop the tonearm in the armboard, adjust the height and connect the cables. Angus will do all the fine tuning for me, what better than that? Good bye 3009. By the way, the At-1010 was designed and manufactured for Audio Technica by Audiocraft/Ultracraft, Jelco did not have anythng to do with it.

Cheers,
    Last edited by F575M; 04-04-2022 at 02:07.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789