+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Phonomac AT-1010 Tonearm review

I'm jamie.

any further thoughts geoff now you've used it a while?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    any further thoughts geoff now you've used it a while?
    It's class. Will post more this week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Clive.

As far as I’m aware the AT-1010 was/is an OEM product actually made by Jelco and we are all aware of what has happened to them, BooHoo. If I’m wrong than anybody is at liberty to correct me. Or was it the Ortofon arm was made by Jelco?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Jelco made many arms on an OEM basis for other manufacturers including Ortofon. But that said there is nothing about the AT1010 that cannot be serviced by others, such as Phonomac or Audio Origami.
    Barry

I'm Angus.

Just to be clear, Jelco has nothing at all to do with the AT-1010. It was Audio Technica's top domestic arm in the early 1980s, designed and built for them by Audiocraft. The Mk6 designation refers to the modifications that I devised and built to improve the performance.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by phonomac View Post
    Just to be clear, Jelco has nothing at all to do with the AT-1010. It was Audio Technica's top domestic arm in the early 1980s, designed and built for them by Audiocraft. The Mk6 designation refers to the modifications that I devised and built to improve the performance.
    So I was correct, the AT-1010 was an OEM product, just wrong about that it was Jelco but Audiocraft instead. By the way I’ve never heard of Audiocraft, my bad LOL.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    So I was correct, the AT-1010 was an OEM product, just wrong about that it was Jelco but Audiocraft instead. By the way I’ve never heard of Audiocraft, my bad LOL.
    Bravo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.

I'm Nigel.

The AT-1010 is a nice arm, a mate of mine has one that has never been used, still in the original box, might need to get him to part with it.

Just spoken to my mate and he would be happy to sell it if offered a decent price. I will get some photos and then start a sales thread.
    Last edited by vinylspinner; 27-11-2020 at 08:41.

I'm Geoff.

I am not one for big reviews so I will keep it brief.

My PMAC arm replaced an SME IV on my TTS8000. I like it visually and sonically and Angus and others were extremely helpful, from order to installation and since. Angus also made a panzerholz armboard, to Jamie's measurements, that is beautifully finished and allows for perfect alignment.

The arm sounds great, from top to bottom, offering greater separation than the SME and more clearly defined tonal colours. It offers less bass than the SME but still is solid and detailed. I make the comparison with two cartridges, an Art-1 and an Oc9ii.

I do want to compare the Stevenson alignment (the standard for the arm) with Baerwald before I make definitive statements but I have owned a number of quality tonearms, including the SME iV, Nottingham Ace Anna and Origin Live Conqueror. In my opinion, the PMAC 1010 is at least in that league and possibly beyond. A longer period of consistent listening and settled alignment is the only way to avoid the hyperbolic whitterings of an exciteable new owner; give me a few months.

I'm jamie.

the last sentance is like a breath of fresh air! glad your enjoying it geoff.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast