+ Reply to Thread
Page 981 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 48188193197197998098198298399110311081 ... LastLast
Results 9,801 to 9,810 of 11773

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That describes Stalin and even he wasn't crackers enough to start WW3. I think Putin is far more intelligent and pragmatic than Stalin. He also doesn't have the absolute power Stalin had. Stalin could make decisions in a vacuum, Putin has to take into account other factors.

I suspect the problem is that he was lied to by his generals about the readiness and proficiency of his armed forces and as a result he's got himself into a stalemate situation.

As usual the media are talking it all up as it gets them viewers.
    Surely his generals would be the one's lying to him?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Surely his generals would be the one's lying to him?
    Isn't that what I said? Usual situation for dictator - or quasi-dictator in this case - to surround himself with yes-men. You rock the boat and you're out. Even if you're just being realistic. A lot of businesses go to the wall for the same reason.

When the Soviet Union collapsed and Ukraine inherited some of the nuclear assets they found that the wiring had been eaten by mice and that they were useless. I doubt very much that anything has changed.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

he has managed to convince himself of his own rhetoric and ukraine is only the start for him. all the old soviet russian outposts will be retaken if he gets to take ukraine ...
    the foolishness of it is that ukraine, was never going to be in nato, and it and finlandsweden wouldnt be in the eu either, but have all been pushed there by him.
    he currently needs an escape hatch, and if he doesnt find one then he will go on until someone ousts him or war is declared with nato. a war he certainly cannot win, but can do untold damage
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I don't see why NATO would get militarily involved, the Ukrainians seem to be doing fine as it is. Is there something I'm missing here?

I rarely watch or read the news so it's quite possible.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

I don't see why NATO would get militarily involved, the Ukrainians seem to be doing fine as it is. Is there something I'm missing here?

I rarely watch or read the news so it's quite possible.
    no not at moment, but he is in a difficut positin and may escalate
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Isn't that what I said? Usual situation for dictator - or quasi-dictator in this case - to surround himself with yes-men. You rock the boat and you're out. Even if you're just being realistic. A lot of businesses go to the wall for the same reason.

When the Soviet Union collapsed and Ukraine inherited some of the nuclear assets they found that the wiring had been eaten by mice and that they were useless. I doubt very much that anything has changed.
    Apologies, I'd not long got up! But yes, the typical dictator scenario of only telling them what they want to hear. There was that clip on the news of one of his ministers not giving him the right answer, and Putin bullying him until he did. It is exactly displays such as this which I find unnerving, and with constant US prodding, the Russian bear may finally lash out.
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 01-10-2022 at 12:11.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    he has managed to convince himself of his own rhetoric and ukraine is only the start for him. all the old soviet russian outposts will be retaken if he gets to take ukraine ...
    the foolishness of it is that ukraine, was never going to be in nato, and it and finlandsweden wouldnt be in the eu either, but have all been pushed there by him.
    he currently needs an escape hatch, and if he doesnt find one then he will go on until someone ousts him or war is declared with nato. a war he certainly cannot win, but can do untold damage
    Not in Nato, not yet anyway, but US meddling in Ukraine has been profound. https://www.cato.org/commentary/amer...aine-hypocrisy

"The extent of the Obama administration’s meddling in Ukraine’s politics was breathtaking. Russian intelligence intercepted and leaked to the international media a Nuland telephone call in which she and U.S. ambassador to Ukraine Geoffey Pyatt discussed in detail their preferences for specific personnel in a post‐​Yanukovych government. The U.S‑favored candidates included Arseniy Yatsenyuk, the man who became prime minister once Yanukovych was ousted from power. During the telephone call, Nuland stated enthusiastically that “Yats is the guy” who would do the best job."

I'm Grant.

for cato, read grand ol' party, especially these days..
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Not in Nato, not yet anyway, but US meddling in Ukraine has been profound. https://www.cato.org/commentary/amer...aine-hypocrisy

"The extent of the Obama administration’s meddling in Ukraine’s politics was breathtaking. Russian intelligence intercepted and leaked to the international media a Nuland telephone call in which she and U.S. ambassador to Ukraine Geoffey Pyatt discussed in detail their preferences for specific personnel in a post‐​Yanukovych government. The U.S‑favored candidates included Arseniy Yatsenyuk, the man who became prime minister once Yanukovych was ousted from power. During the telephone call, Nuland stated enthusiastically that “Yats is the guy” who would do the best job."
    This is not a one-sided thing though. It's not like Russia keeps itself to itself and is not 'meddling' in other countries too. Likewise China, France, UK and to a lesser extent many other countries. That sort of thing has gone on since at least the start of recorded history. Jockying for position - if you don't do it then the eventual consequences can be dire.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    no not at moment, but he is in a difficut positin and may escalate
    He's got nothing left to escalate with though? I suppose he could decide to try and end the world by launching nuclear missiles but that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. And that's assuming that his nukes work, which is a big assumption, and that his orders would be obeyed - also unlikely.

Of course now I've said that we will probably all be radioactive dust by next week
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread