+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 1177 FirstFirst ... 458593949596971051451955951095 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm glad you like it, but have to say that I much prefer Liverpool to Stoke, as it's got so much more going on, in almost every area you can think of! It's just much more cosmopolitan, which I like. No offence, but the bits I've seen of Stoke town centre look rather run down [and badly in need of modernising], as if no money's been spent on it for about 30 years!

Reminds me rather of Glasgow in the 1970s...

I like quiet too, *but* not in a city. If that's the case, I like to be at the centre of the 'action'. In terms of Liverpool, around bold street or Chinatown would suit me fine. Other than that, if I wanted quiet, there are some beautiful Edwardian town houses in Faulkner St I could happily live in! I like it around Sefton Park too, as it's quite 'leafy' there

Marco.
    You think Stoke looks bad now you should have seen it 30 years ago. But I like it, in fact I wish it had stayed how it was. There used to be pubs and shops that had not changed, not even been decorated, in fifty or sixty years. Like stepping back in time. It was wonderful.

Not to mention all the coal mines, potteries, the steel works. They are mostly all closed now, you'd never even know the steel works or the mines were there. But it was the Pittsburgh of England for a long time, (You could probably say the same of Sheffield too).

I don't like the whole sanitised thing that is taking over. In Liverpool it is far more advanced, regrettably. I like run down old buildings, dives, places that haven't altered in 50 years, back streets, old valve jukeboxes, sawdust on the floor, all that shit.

But not retro-faked, all clean and antiseptic. The real thing, not manufactured. That's all disappearing fast round here now. In fact it is pretty much gone.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Mmm... I know where you're coming from, but these days I like town centres in the UK that remind me of abroad... Full of pavement cafes, cool places to eat and interesting shops, as well as some history and culture, and Liverpool ticks all those boxes - and although it's moved with the times, it's still got SOUL

I just love it there, and MUCH prefer it to Chester, which is nice, but completely LACKS soul! Btw, where in Liverpool did you used to live?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I lived in Garston, about 7 miles south from the centre. But I was born in Liverpool down by the docks just like in the song. Oxford Street Hospital Liverpool L1. Don't look for it, it's not there anymore.

And don't get me wrong, I love going up there, going down to the Pier Head, taking a look at the river and that. I really miss the river as we lived quite close. Those morning Autumn fogs that would come in off it. It stank if you got up close, especially when the tide was out.

It was declared the most polluted river in Western Europe at one point. Funny thing is 40 years on they have cleaned it all up, you can swim in it now and there are otters and that. There's no smell anymore, except of a normal tidal river. But I really miss the smell, it doesn't feel right without it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

We like to visit towns that have independent shops, ones where you see stuff not commonly found elsewhere. We found Chester to be a disappointment, but liked York (haven't been for a few years) and Keswick where we do Christmas shopping each year.

Most town centres these days are pretty soulless places, containing the usual suspects (Next, Body Shop, M&S), but apart from the big names, the only ones who can afford town centre locations are charity shops. Maybe there is a council tax incentive for them.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Steve,

I completely agree about soulless town centres and independent shops. Chester is definitely a disappointment, in that respect, as it's too touristy, and so full of too many 'chain retailers'.

There are some notable exceptions, and as you mention Christmas shopping, there's a lovely little gift shop in Chester we go to called Liberty Bell, see here: http://www.liberty-bell.co.uk/

It's great for finding unusual little gift items, especially bespoke Christmas decorations and candles

Next time try Shrewsbury, if you like individual shops - it's far better than Chester.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Don't look for it, it's not there anymore.
    Like the 'Electric Banana' then?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Like the 'Electric Banana' then?
    just like the 'Electric Banana.'

But enough of me yakkin'...
    Current Lash Up:

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

But enough of me yakkin'...
    Yeah Marty.. let's boogie!

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. Was sneezing a bit yesterday. Woke up sneezing and sniffling this morning and I'm definitely not feeling quite right. Just hope it's not a major cold setting in. Been reasonably lucky this winter. Bet it was the snuffling and spluttering sod in front of me at the supermarket check-out the other day who gave me something!

I'm Alex.

Honey and lemon hot drink and some paracetamol perhaps.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread