+ Reply to Thread
Page 514 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 144144645045125135145155165245646141014 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,140 of 11724

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Y
    And it's exactly the same with products from McDonalds or IKEA, and what makes the brainwashed masses queue up for hours, if necessary, in order to obtain them.
    Ikea meet a definite need, for cheap, reasonably well-made furniture that's ideal for people furnishing their first house or flat, and for landlords kitting out buy-to-lets. They also do all the other 'stuff' you're likely to need (eg cutlery and crockery) and it's all under one roof. When we bought our first flat, pre-Ikea, the options for furniture were either over-priced new stuff, or trawling round second-hand furniture shops hoping to find something that would do. Then there were pots and pans, plates and bowls, knives forks and spoons to buy, all on next to no money because we'd spent all our savings putting down a deposit, and were using much of our earnings to pay the mortgage and other bills. Habitat were the closest thing to Ikea, but their stuff wasn't cheap.

I loathe going to Ikea even without the current queues, but it would have been a Godsend to us back then.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, I totally agree. I've got nothing against Ikea. I was simply making a point. We wouldn't dream of using them either at the moment, for obvious reasons. but have in the past for lots of things, some of which you mention.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nope, that's why you're not getting it, and therefore missing my point. My main point was about subliminal advertising 'embedding' the brand name of a big company into the minds of their customers, or potential customers, making them WANT to buy that product without them realising it - and both McDonalds and Ikea do that very successfully!

That's my last attempt now to get you to understand before giving up!

Marco.
    Subliminal advertising is not the same thing as 'normal' advertising.

Those Macdonald's ads you see on TV are not 'subliminal' advertising, they are just advertising.

Promotional messages the recipient is not aware of, such as those played at very low volume or flashed on a screen for less than a second. Its effectiveness is not supported by scientific evidence, and its use is considered a deceptive business practice in some jurisdictions.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...vertising.html

Added to which if Mcdonalds advertising is so effective at brainwashing why doesn't it work on you? I'd guess because you've tried one and were not keen on it. Just like millions of other people who don't go to Mcdonalds despite being subject to the same advertising campaign. It's nothing to do with you being smart and McDonalds punters being stupid. The people who eat them regularly do so because they like them. That's because millions of dollars and thousands of hours have been spend perfecting the taste and the 'mouthfeel' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouthfeel

Even then not everyone is going to like them because people are different. But you hypothesis that they are crap and people only eat them because they are stupid and brainwashed holds no water.

Although I grant you that queuing for hours just to get one is a pretty stupid thing to do, at least from my - and your - point of view. But then I wouldn't queue for hours to get anything.
    Last edited by Macca; 04-06-2020 at 06:01.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Those Macdonald's ads you see on TV are not 'subliminal' advertising, they are just advertising.

Promotional messages the recipient is not aware of, such as those played at very low volume or flashed on a screen for less than a second. Its effectiveness is not supported by scientific evidence, and its use is considered a deceptive business practice in some jurisdictions.

Added to which if Mcdonalds advertising is so effective at brainwashing why doesn't it work on you? I'd guess because you've tried one and were not keen on it. Just like millions of other people who don't go to Mcdonalds despite being subject to the same advertising campaign. It's nothing to do with you being smart and McDonalds punters being stupid. The people who eat them regularly do so because they like them. That's because millions of dollars and thousands of hours have been spend perfecting the taste and the 'mouthfeel' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouthfeel

Even then not everyone is going to like them because people are different. But you hypothesis that they are crap and people only eat them because they are stupid and brainwashed holds no water.

Although I grant you that queuing for hours just to get one is a pretty stupid thing to do, at least from my - and your - point of view. But then I wouldn't queue for hours to get anything.
    As usual you put it so much better than I can. And that has always been my understanding of 'subliminal advertising'. I suspect Andrex may have been doing this in last night's episode of Emmerdale, as halfway through I needed to go for a dump. This happens quite a lot.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Why are you watching 'Emmerdale' in the first place?

Actually I've never seen it so maybe it is brilliant. I did see an episode of 'Emmerdale Farm' once when I was ill and too sick to get off the settee and change the channel. It was terrible.

Some good telly news though, 'Magnum PI' has been granted a third season.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

No, it really isn't brilliant, though I suppose it's the best of a bad bunch. In my defence we only have one living room, and the internet was temporarily down. Apparently the Cadent guys put a-dent in a cable while trying to fix a gas leak

Good news with the "Magnum-pie" though. That's my Sunday night escapism nonsense, and I've not missed an episode. Likeable characters, nice scenery, nice gaff (Robin's Nest), nice cars - I could live there
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

Good news with the "Magnum-pie" though. That's my Sunday night escapism nonsense, and I've not missed an episode. Likeable characters, nice scenery, nice gaff (Robin's Nest), nice cars - I could live there
    Agree, not enough escapist nonsense on telly theses days, everything takes itself so seriously now.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

Plus, of course, advertising is only effective if people see the adverts. I never watch commercial TV or listen to commercial radio, so much advertising passes me by. The advertising I usually see is on the Internet, where it's just an annoying distraction that I click away from as soon as possible.

I'm joe.

Why are you watching 'Emmerdale' in the first place?

Actually I've never seen it so maybe it is brilliant. I did see an episode of 'Emmerdale Farm' once when I was ill and too sick to get off the settee and change the channel. It was terrible.
    My parents used to watch Emmerdale Farm, along with Corrie and Brookside. I don't remember much about either, and my idea of Corrie is mainly derived from Victoria Wood's spoof:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, do you think I don't know that? But you're still not getting it!

Some people are more susceptible to the effects of subliminal advertising than others. I have an inherent dislike of ANY junk/fast food (not only because of how it tastes, but what it represents), so unlike others, I'm not predisposed to eating it, which is significant. Plus I'm not easily led or controlled (one reason why in 2020 I still don't own a smartphone). And no, the bit in bold black above is not what I'm saying either!

The example I provided earlier about you and HP sauce nails it, so *try and digest* THAT. I wasn't saying that HP sauce was "crap", was I?? THINK about it.

Anyway, I'm pulling out of this discussion now. As I suspected, it's going nowhere because, as per usual, you only see what you want to see and deliberately ignore the rest.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread