+ Reply to Thread
Page 491 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491492493501541591991 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,910 of 11773

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yeah, ours are a bit like that too, although neither Del or I are in the slightest stressed. However, although the cats are used to me being in most of the time, they're not used to seeing Del as much.

Del's loving that aspect of the lockdown though, and if it had been occurring in different circumstances, she'd be properly lapping it up - especially the lie-in, in the morning!

She's managing to work from home perfectly well, taking part in live daily meetings with her colleagues, via the use of 'Webinar' software, and also in touch regularly with her students, whilst still on full pay, and loving having the spare time to make things with her fabrics and textiles (she's always been very crafty), the latest being customised shopping bags, made from recycled materials, and CV masks for us to wear out, lol!

Plus planting all manner of different veg in the garden, as we strive to be evermore self-sufficient, cooking more food than usual from scratch, and being able to enjoy proper lunch breaks (some of which may or may not include Prosecco) with me outside in the nice weather we've had recently. And I'm loving spending more time with her - as are the cats!

What's not to like? Well, of course a lot, given the circumstances we're all in... However, it could be MUCH worse!

Btw, I can't remember if I thanked you for the excellent info you provided on the installation of solar panels. It could've been something I meant to do but forgot. Anyway, thanks for that - all noted, appreciated and will duly be considered!

Marco.
    When you do some investigating, it may be worth looking into hot water solar in addition to, or instead of, photovoltaic (pv) systems. Apparently they are very efficient :
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cool... Is this the kind of thing you're talking about: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/sola...thermal-panels

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Yeah that looks like it. I know next to nothing about it, so I had a read through it. Looks like the savings aren't great, though this will vary from one household to another. There looks to be a scheme called Renewable Heating Incentive (RHI), but to qualify your house would have to have a certain level of energy efficiency. Probably unlikely your house would qualify with the wooden windows, which while looking nice aren't exactly energy efficient.

So photovoltaic may be your best option, and perhaps a giant mutha of a stove which can provide hot water. Though I suspect stoves will come under scrutiny from the government soon, if not already

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

Cheers for that. We'll need to look into it nearer the time and/or when things get back to something that's approaching normal. The driving factor behind this project though wouldn't be to save money, although that would be nice, but a) to be more self-sufficient in future and less reliant on others, and b) more energy efficient/greener/reduce our carbon footprint

Btw, our windows aren't "wooden", lol... The frames are all-metal, which are very firmly set with cement into sandstone (as airtight as possible), and as rigid as a very rigid thing, with the accompanying (individual panes of glass) all leaded by hand. Yes it looks lovely, and no it's not as energy efficient as UPVC - nowhere near.

However, it's better than you think in that respect (not draughty at all), and besides even if we wanted UPVC windows (which we don't, as they'd be an eyesore on a Victorian house), we're ultimately governed by the law on what changes you can make to a listed building

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

with a big garden etc you could try a ground source heating system.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Cheers for that. We'll need to look into it nearer the time and/or when things get back to something that's approaching normal. The driving factor behind this though isn't to save money, although that would be nice, but a) to be more self-sufficient and less reliant on others in future, and b) more energy efficient/greener/reduce our carbon footprint

Btw, our windows aren't "wooden". The frames are all-metal, which is very firmly set with cement into sandstone (as airtight as possible), with the accompanying (individual panes of glass) all leaded by hand. Yes it looks lovely, and no it's not as energy efficient as UPVC - nowhere near.

However, it's better than you think, and besides even if we wanted UPVC windows (which we don't, as they'd be a total eyesore on a Victorian house), we ultimately governed by the law on what you can do to listed buildings

Marco.
    Absolutely, if you can afford the heat loss (which will be considerable), steel windows are going to be more in keeping with the building. And as you say, you have no option if your house is (grade 2) listed. Some heavy curtains will help quite a lot though, I believe Laura Ashley do some nice ones

Grant's suggestion about 'ground source' is a good idea, forgot about that one.

T'other system:

A/V:

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Absolutely, if you can afford the heat loss (which will be considerable), steel windows are going to be more in keeping with the building. And as you say, you have no option if your house is (grade 2) listed. Some heavy curtains will help quite a lot though, I believe Laura Ashley do some nice ones

Grant's suggestion about 'ground source' is a good idea, forgot about that one.
    Well, we've never known anything different, lol! How exactly could we carry out a comparison?

Also bear in mind that 90% of our heating comes from our wood burner, and fuel for that (if you know good sources for such) is much cheaper than gas central heating, which we use only occasionally as back up. Sometimes during the winter, we have to OPEN the windows in our lounge, to let some HEAT OUT, as it's too hot! I kid you not...

Yes, Laura Ashley indeed do some nice fabrics, and which have been duly made into curtains by Del, lined and fully utilised as described....

Never heard of a 'ground source' heating system, so will also look into that. Cheers, Grant

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Well, we've never known anything different, lol! How exactly could we carry out a comparison?

Also bear in mind that 90% of our heating comes from our wood burner, and fuel for that (if you know good sources for such) is much cheaper than gas central heating, which we use only occasionally as back up. Sometimes during the winter, we have to OPEN the windows in our lounge, to let some HEAT OUT, as it's too hot! I kid you not...

Yes, Laura Ashley indeed do some nice fabrics, and which have been duly made into curtains by Del, lined and fully utilised as described....

Never heard of a 'ground source' heating system, so will also look into that. Cheers, Grant

Marco.
    I really don't know how a comparison could be made, though I'm sure there would be a way. The issue won't be draughts so much, but heat conduction. But then there's not much you could do with the information, secondary double glazing is just horrible, and would completely ruin the look of your windows. All you can do is admire the looks and chuck another log on the fire.

I know what you mean about stoves getting too hot, my mate has one that runs his hot water, and sometimes we have the door and the French doors open to let cold air pass through. I think it's a nicer kind of heat though, than what you get from central heating alone or gas fires. This will probably have been his last winter with it though, stove's getting really old (as are my mate's bones), so he's talking about going to gas ch in the autumn.

T'other system:

A/V:

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I really don't know how a comparison could be made, though I'm sure there would be a way. The issue won't be draughts so much, but heat conduction. But then there's not much you could do with the information, secondary double glazing is just horrible, and would completely ruin the look of your windows. All you can do is admire the looks and chuck another log on the fire.
    Indeed... Everything is ultimately a compromise, which is also the case in modern homes. And in terms of the latter, and the feeling of comfort and joy it brings, that's something we wouldn't swap for anything. Del and I have grown up in homes with real fires, and so have just become so used to them

And so for us, anything else is a distinct downgrade...

I know what you mean about stoves getting too hot, my mate has one that runs his hot water, and sometimes we have the door and the French doors open to let cold air pass through. I think it's a nicer kind of heat though, than what you get from central heating alone or gas fires. This will probably have been his last winter with it though, stove's getting really old (as are my mate's bones), so he's talking about going to gas ch in the autumn.
    Yups... Honestly, as our lounge is fairly small, it doesn't take much heating or for the room to remain really warm either, even with 'suboptimal' windows, in the way you've mentioned. When we chose our wood burner we were very careful to get one the right size for the area it was going to heat, in order to maximise efficiency. Del designed charts/made drawings and all sorts!

In that respect, even with it less than half full of seasoned logs and/or smokeless coal, in the very peak of winter, when it's say, well below freezing outside, you could grow tomatoes in our lounge, and I can comfortably wear a t-shirt! If it were full up, and on maximum air draw, you would probably struggle to breathe... Yes, it's *that* warm! So that's why we don't concern ourselves too much about heat loss.

Plus we know places where we can get coal and logs delivered in bulk fairly cheaply, and much less expensively than the costs of running gas or electric central heating or fires. And yes, it's defo a nicer/healthier type of heat. It's strange, as it feels warmer yet less 'oppressive'. It's hard to put into words properly, but I know that it doesn't give me headaches, in the way that central heating systems often do. Anyway, hope you get your own heating system sorted the way you want it

Marco.
    Main System

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

What's happened to the lovely weather?

Was enjoying wearing one item of clothing, 2 at a push (skirt & top instead of dress).. nothing else & no shoes... I miss the hot sun ....
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread