+ Reply to Thread
Page 366 of 441 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368376416 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,660 of 4407

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    When it got really bad, before we got call blocker, we just used to unplug the phone if we wanted an uninterrupted evening. There was always the nagging worry that there might be some emergency, but as both sets of parents died some time ago, there was unlikely to be anything requiring an immediate response.
    Arseholes, disrupting people's lives like that, mostly because they don't have one themselves.... Here it was never that bad. At it's worst, perhaps 3-4 such nuisance calls a week. Still enough for it to be unacceptable, though, which is why we did something about it.

Marco.
    Proud anti-establishment/elite 'heretic', motivated to expose widespread Establishment bias, cover-ups and mind-control!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I lived for 5 years with no telephone at all, was never a real problem.
    Can't do that if you're running a business from home though, or if you don't like using mobiles, and wish to stay in regular touch with your friends and family.

Marco.
    Proud anti-establishment/elite 'heretic', motivated to expose widespread Establishment bias, cover-ups and mind-control!

I'm Grant.

Most are from pc's and from India these days, either insurance accident scams or Microsoft scams...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA & JRIVER - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    my brother is about the only person that phones my landline tbh. if ive got the cans on it doesnt matter if it goes off; i wont hear it
    That's why our phone has a caller display, and is also attached to a voicemail service. If we're out, or miss a call for any other reason, all missed calls are logged, in terms of the caller's number and the date and time of the call, and if they've left a message, it can be replayed and responded to if necessary.

For us, having access to that type of landline phone service is mandatory, as there are loads of folk both of us speak to on a regular basis

Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I lived for 5 years with no telephone at all, was never a real problem.
    Same here. Well, there was a payphone in the hall in the house where I lived in a bedsit, but I never used it. The only calls were for the girl who lived in the bedsit across the landing, who had a 'very active social life' (code for 'several boyfriends at the same time') and who would shout 'Tell him I'm out!' to whoever was answering the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Arseholes, disrupting people's lives like that, mostly because they don't have one themselves.... Here it was never that bad. At it's worst, perhaps 3-4 such nuisance calls a week. Still enough for it to be unacceptable, though, which is why we did something about it.

Marco.
    The very worst incident was just after my father died, when I was staying with my mother. The phone kept ringing, with people offering condolences. Then one bloke rang, asking if we wanted roof repairs or something like that. I said, 'look, my dad's just died, we're not interested'. To which he replied 'Oh, sorry to hear about that. Do you think your mum might be interested later?' My reply was short, monosyllabic and unprintable.

I'm Grant.

That's why our phone has a caller display, and is also attached to a voicemail service. If we're out, or miss a call for any other reason, all missed calls are logged, in terms of the caller's number and the date and time of the call, and if they've left a message, it can be replayed and responded to if necessary.

For us, having access to that type of landline phone service is mandatory, as there are loads of folk both of us speak to on a regular basis

Marco.
    he knows to ring my mobile... its usually beside me. the landline phones need replacing tbh, but as i dont use them i cant be bothered; for now anyway
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA & JRIVER - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Yeah mate, no worries. A landline phone isn't necessary in your case, but it is in ours

Marco.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Same here. Well, there was a payphone in the hall in the house where I lived in a bedsit, but I never used it. The only calls were for the girl who lived in the bedsit across the landing, who had a 'very active social life' (code for 'several boyfriends at the same time') and who would shout 'Tell him I'm out!' to whoever was answering the phone.
    Lol. I shared a house with a bloke who was popular with the ladies and who was also called Martin. I'd answer the 'phone and some bird would ask for Martin, and when I'd say 'yes, this is Martin' she'd immediately launch into a tirade of abuse about me standing her up etc.

I just used to put the handset on the hall table and go and get the other Martin. Usually the tirade would still be going on by the time he came out of his room and picked it up.
    Current Lash Up:

*Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm Martin.

Can't do that if you're running a business from home though, or if you don't use mobiles, and wish to stay in regular touch with your friends and family.

Marco.
    That was back when mobile phones were the size of a suitcase...and BT wanted 200 (about 500 in 2019 money) just to string a bit of wire from the telegraph pole 30 foot to the house, the bastard rob dogs.
    Current Lash Up:

*Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

+ Reply to Thread