+ Reply to Thread
Page 366 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368376416466866 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,660 of 11724

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    When it got really bad, before we got call blocker, we just used to unplug the phone if we wanted an uninterrupted evening. There was always the nagging worry that there might be some emergency, but as both sets of parents died some time ago, there was unlikely to be anything requiring an immediate response.
    Arseholes, disrupting people's lives like that, mostly because they don't have one themselves.... Here it was never that bad. At it's worst, perhaps 3-4 such nuisance calls a week. Still enough for it to be unacceptable, though, which is why we did something about it.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I lived for 5 years with no telephone at all, was never a real problem.
    Can't do that if you're running a business from home though, or if you don't like using mobiles, and wish to stay in regular touch with your friends and family.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Most are from pc's and from India these days, either insurance accident scams or Microsoft scams...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    my brother is about the only person that phones my landline tbh. if ive got the cans on it doesnt matter if it goes off; i wont hear it
    That's why our phone has a caller display, and is also attached to a voicemail service. If we're out, or miss a call for any other reason, all missed calls are logged, in terms of the caller's number and the date and time of the call, and if they've left a message, it can be replayed and responded to if necessary.

For us, having access to that type of landline phone service is mandatory, as there are loads of folk both of us speak to on a regular basis

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I lived for 5 years with no telephone at all, was never a real problem.
    Same here. Well, there was a payphone in the hall in the house where I lived in a bedsit, but I never used it. The only calls were for the girl who lived in the bedsit across the landing, who had a 'very active social life' (code for 'several boyfriends at the same time') and who would shout 'Tell him I'm out!' to whoever was answering the phone.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Arseholes, disrupting people's lives like that, mostly because they don't have one themselves.... Here it was never that bad. At it's worst, perhaps 3-4 such nuisance calls a week. Still enough for it to be unacceptable, though, which is why we did something about it.

Marco.
    The very worst incident was just after my father died, when I was staying with my mother. The phone kept ringing, with people offering condolences. Then one bloke rang, asking if we wanted roof repairs or something like that. I said, 'look, my dad's just died, we're not interested'. To which he replied 'Oh, sorry to hear about that. Do you think your mum might be interested later?' My reply was short, monosyllabic and unprintable.

I'm Grant.

That's why our phone has a caller display, and is also attached to a voicemail service. If we're out, or miss a call for any other reason, all missed calls are logged, in terms of the caller's number and the date and time of the call, and if they've left a message, it can be replayed and responded to if necessary.

For us, having access to that type of landline phone service is mandatory, as there are loads of folk both of us speak to on a regular basis

Marco.
    he knows to ring my mobile... its usually beside me. the landline phones need replacing tbh, but as i dont use them i cant be bothered; for now anyway
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Yeah mate, no worries. A landline phone isn't necessary in your case, but it is in ours

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Same here. Well, there was a payphone in the hall in the house where I lived in a bedsit, but I never used it. The only calls were for the girl who lived in the bedsit across the landing, who had a 'very active social life' (code for 'several boyfriends at the same time') and who would shout 'Tell him I'm out!' to whoever was answering the phone.
    Lol. I shared a house with a bloke who was popular with the ladies and who was also called Martin. I'd answer the 'phone and some bird would ask for Martin, and when I'd say 'yes, this is Martin' she'd immediately launch into a tirade of abuse about me standing her up etc.

I just used to put the handset on the hall table and go and get the other Martin. Usually the tirade would still be going on by the time he came out of his room and picked it up.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Can't do that if you're running a business from home though, or if you don't use mobiles, and wish to stay in regular touch with your friends and family.

Marco.
    That was back when mobile phones were the size of a suitcase...and BT wanted £200 (about £500 in 2019 money) just to string a bit of wire from the telegraph pole 30 foot to the house, the bastard rob dogs.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread