+ Reply to Thread
Page 325 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327335375425825 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,250 of 11726

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Billy Bragg was in the RTR. That bloke out of Fun Lovin Criminals was in the USMC in Iraq. I don't think serving in the forces necessarily disbars you from being a musician afterwards. Or during.
    Maybe not, but National Service would probably have meant that Lennon never met McCartney, and that the Jagger/Richards partnership was also a non-starter. The 1960s would have been very different.

I'm Steve.

Maybe the above would have met while doing their National Service. When something's going to happen, it will. And whether or not this is true, we'll never know
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Maybe the above would have met while doing their National Service. When something's going to happen, it will. And whether or not this is true, we'll never know
    Well, quite.

I wonder if those calling for the return of National Service think a spot of it would have done them good when they were young, or were they so perfect they had no need of it, unlike 'young people today' who always have been and always will be a disappointment to their elders and betters?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I wonder if those calling for the return of National Service think a spot of it would have done them good when they were young, or were they so perfect they had no need of it, unlike 'young people today' who always have been and always will be a disappointment to their elders and betters?
    Well, if you were brought up by parents, who when you were young, successfully taught you right from wrong, including the required discipline, common sense, and ability to 'problem solve' (think for yourself and make your own decisions), in order to grow up to be a free-thinking, caring and well-adjusted (but still imperfect) adult; the latter which applies to us all, then no, National Service would unlikely have been of much use.

However, joining the army and experiencing the benefits of camaraderie and teamwork among others of a similar age, rather than nurturing a warped sense of self-importance [life is all about ME], instilled in you by parents who spoil you and let you have your own way all the time, I'd suggest would be of great benefit to the majority of the youth today, simply because good parenting skills are severely on the wane.

Therefore, if we're to try and change things for the better of our society in future, then something/someone needs to 'take up that slack'. Otherwise, those 'snowflakes' will soon turn into a blizzard...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

it's the 'everyone gets a prize' and the 'everyone's opinion is valid' nonsense that has created all these snowflakes to begin with. Solve the problem at source the there's no need to fix it further down the line.

Scrap all that crap, go back to winners and losers and teach children that life is hard, you're going to have to spend most of it doing shit you don't want to do, it's normal to be discontented so appreciate and make the most of the times that you are happy, and, in general, man the fuck up. You could be starving to death in Africa so count yourself lucky.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

it's the 'everyone gets a prize' and the 'everyone's opinion is valid' nonsense that has created all these snowflakes to begin with. Solve the problem at source the there's no need to fix it further down the line.
    Exactly! And you're also bang on with the rest of your post. It's that, and also the likes of banning competitive sports in schools. for fear of upsetting the 'delicate little lambs' who aren't any good at them, and so [wrongly] feel like 'failures', which is also to blame.

In various aspects of life, there are ALWAYS winners and losers. That's a fact, and just tough titty, so young adults need to 'man up' and deal with it!

They shouldn't be brought up in an artificial bubble and cosseted from life's hardships by their parents, as in the end that does them no favours whatsoever. It's healthy to be competitive (within reason) and character building when success is achieved, so that should be both encouraged and rewarded, along with a message portrayed of: 'better to have tried and lost, but done your best, then never to have tried at all'...

More importantly, just because you're no good at sports (or whatever) doesn't mean that you're not good at something else, so the education system needs revamped in order to better recognise, from an early age, the natural talents/aptitudes kids have, and how to nurture them... For me, there's way too much focus on the importance of academic subjects, and not enough on the creative/artistic variety, and so that imbalance urgently needs addressed, for starters.

*That* is how you deal with things, and subsequently create more WINNERS and build self-confidence, simply by recognising and developing people's natural abilities, and in turn making them feel more positive about themselves. Therefore, no-one need consider that they're a 'failure', or 'thick', simply because how their brains work, or who they are as people, doesn't 'fit' with education system - and therefore it is THAT which is failing them - not the other way round!

Trouble is, that's not how the 'powers that be' want the system to work......

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

That's what the children of my generation were told, for the most part:

'Get on with it and make the best of it'.
    'No-one owes you a living'.
    'Life's not fair.'
    'Hard work is its own reward.'
    'No-one's going to do it for you'
    'Be grateful for what you've got'
    'There are children like you starving in Africa'
    'Sort yourself out or you'll get a clip round the ear.'

And so on.

I don't think most children hear any of that anymore. Most parents seem to be dedicated to giving their children anything their little hearts desire as though that is somehow what being 'a good parent' is all about. if you want to be a good parent start telling the spoiled little brats some home truths from the list above.

Otherwise they go out into the world expecting it to be a bed of roses where everything will come easy to them. And then they can't cope when they find out that the reality is far from that and they end up topping themselves.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Absolutely... The problem is a lot of parents these days have no desire to WORK at it (or simply don't have the time, and that's a whole other issue), to *do the job properly* [the same incidentally often applies to marriages - we currently live in a society that promotes maximum satisfaction for minimal effort], so they take the path of least resistance and give their 'little darlings' whatever they want, as it's easier that way and shuts them up

Sadly however, parenting is like any other task in life: you only get out of it what you put into it!

Problem is, the reason why many folks have kids is to make *themselves* feel better about themselves, and because they consider that they've 'fulfilled their human obligation', by procreating, rather than actually wanting to make a success of bringing another human being into the world, who might have a positive effect on it, and moreover, committing to bringing them up to be something to be genuinely proud of...

But no, simply 'popping out' sprogs, one after the other, regardless of the outcome, is in itself considered as a 'worthy achievement'!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

That's what the children of my generation were told, for the most part:

'Get on with it and make the best of it'.
    'No-one owes you a living'.
    'Life's not fair.'
    'Hard work is its own reward.'
    'No-one's going to do it for you'
    'Be grateful for what you've got'
    'There are children like you starving in Africa'
    'Sort yourself out or you'll get a clip round the ear.'

And so on.

I don't think most children hear any of that anymore. Most parents seem to be dedicated to giving their children anything their little hearts desire as though that is somehow what being 'a good parent' is all about. if you want to be a good parent start telling the spoiled little brats some home truths from the list above.

Otherwise they go out into the world expecting it to be a bed of roses where everything will come easy to them. And then they can't cope when they find out that the reality is far from that and they end up topping themselves.
    And yet their parents were probably brought up the way you describe your generation was (Google tells me millennials are those born between 1981-1996; ie the years you and Marco would be likely to have fathered children), so how come they turned out so badly? Could it just be the usual story of old-ish blokes complaining about 'kids today', like they always have?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    And yet their parents were probably brought up the way you describe your generation was (Google tells me millennials are those born between 1981-1996; ie the years you and Marco would be likely to have fathered children), so how come they turned out so badly? Could it just be the usual story of old-ish blokes complaining about 'kids today', like they always have?
    Of course there is an element of truth to this, but the difference is that now it is completely true

There are so many things 'wrong with the world' which we are no longer allowed to comment on without being branded racist, sexist, ageist or pissed, please don't take this away from us
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread