+ Reply to Thread
Page 252 of 1177 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262302352752 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 11761

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Spend for NHS in 2018 was £122 billion! And people reckon it is 'under-funded' and want to hose it down with even more money as though that would be some kind of automatic solution. I bet you could double that spend and make no difference whatsoever to the quality of the service. The real solution is to cut out the incompetence and the corruption (hard to see where one ends and the other starts mind you).
    I am not sure on what evidence you are condemning the NHS as inefficient and corrupt: it is just not the case. The UK NHS repeatedly scores highly in international (independent) comparisons of health outcomes, value for money and equity. I make these claims as a health economist with over 35 years experience gained in around 30 different countries, including working in the NHS.

I also write a someone who recently suffered a major life threatening health event that led to a month and a half in hospital, much of that iime in intensive care. I cannot speak highly enough of all the NHS employees who cared for me and went over and above their official duties to make me comfortable.

Yes, the nominal figure for NHS expenditure is enormous, but it only makes sense in the context of what other countries spend and how well they spend it. The UK spends less as a proportion of its GDP on health care than most comparable European countries and a pittance compared to what some countries like the USA spend. Nonetheless, the UK continues to score highly in terms of outputs (i.e. health outcomes). No we can't compete with the best of US health care, but that is only accessible to a privileged few and at huge cost, whilst vast sections of the population go without care. Don't believe it? Then google "international comparisons of health care spending" and then form a judgement based on actual evidence!

Geoff

See this site: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...lly/2016-11-01
    Last edited by Sherwood; 19-01-2019 at 17:47.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I am not sure on what evidence you are condemning the NHS as inefficient and corrupt: it is just not the case. The UK NHS repeatedly scores highly in international (independent) comparisons of health outcomes, value for money and equity. I make these claims as a health economist with over 35 years experience gained in around 30 different countries, including working in the NHS.
    ]
    Well you've got the Stafford Hospital scandal for starters
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stafford_Hospital_scandal

I could trawl around and find many examples but that's a pretty good example of breath-taking incompetence to be going on with. Given my knowledge and experience of big organisations I'd say that was symptomatic of an organisation where incompetence at all levels is rife. But please note we are talking about administration and organization here, I'm not suggesting that there is a problem with the actual health care staff, indeed I have never met a doctor or a nurse who did not think the administration of the NHS was shambolic (some used stronger language).

Also a couple of years back quite coincidentally in the space of a few months I was at a couple of dinners where I was seated next to people who worked as Buyers in the NHS. Both quite independently described the waste as 'sickening'. In fact it was pretty much all they talked about. They work there, you tell me who I should believe?

If you re-read what I posted you'll see that I didn't say anything about the quality of service or how the NHS ranks compared to other similar organisations so I don't see how that is relevant to the point I was making. Also quoting the spend as a percentage of GDP isn't demonstrating anything. If a big chunk of the money is being wasted you could go up to 100% of GDP and not get any improvement. Conversely, with an efficient organisation, you could spend a much lower percentage and get much better outcomes.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

just cut my hair.... all three of em
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    just cut my hair.... all three of em
    I just use a blowtorch and finish off with a belt sander.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

lol.

ive needed to do it for a while but not been up to it...glad its back to barely grabable ....
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Got more on chest and arms than ever was on nut!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

im fair haired, going on white now so its not overly noticed on body. Years of working in damp jeans ripped most of my leg follicles out so am bald on lower legs. wife was always jealous helps when got the stockings on
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    im fair haired, going on white now so its not overly noticed on body. Years of working in damp jeans ripped most of my leg follicles out so am bald on lower legs. wife was always jealous helps when got the stockings on
    So it's not just me then - my legs are bald as far up as my socks go.

My mother used to say that eating crusts would give me curly hair - Fifty years later I have a lustrous mass of curly hair, unfortunately none of it's on my head
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Pretty much all my legs actually. Certainly 3/4.lol
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Mum Used to say eat your crusts or you'll get collyflower ears lol
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread