+ Reply to Thread
Page 227 of 1177 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277327727 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 11761

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Steve.

I agree with Grant and Barry, you don't want to be sealing in moisture, and also it will have absolutely no insulation properties. Pointing is defo the way to go if it's looking a bit ropey. You can buy extra thick grinding discs for small angle grinders that are good for raking out.

Roof repair costs will depend greatly on whether it's tiles or slates - tiles are about a quid each and quite easy to change, slates cost double that and are much more tricky. If they're clay Rosemary tiles I advise moving house Only kidding, but they can turn into a much bigger job.

Your mans prices seem very reasonable, so worth hanging on to him - we're a rare breed!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

I think the tiles are slate. The pointing is okay it was done not long before I bought the place (one of the few things they did do). No way I'd be doing any of it myself though. I do enough work already. I'll tell him to forget about the brick coating though, thanks for the advice.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

A few years ago a lot of people were getting cavity wall insulation, and getting it free with grants. And this could cause all sorts of damp problems. Cavities are meant to breathe, and insulation can provide a 'bridge' between the outer and inner skins. One house we worked on a couple of years ago was plagued with damp patches on the outside walls, and we ended up getting a firm to take it out. Not cheap, but solved the problem.

Not saying this has anything to do with your house Martin, I just mention it because I'm bored.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Grant.

not sure how to put this without hilarity, so will just say ive had mine redone fairly recently. it breaks down after time especialy it the wall gets a lot of weather. no damp in my house so cant comment on that but understand the process
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

No cavity wall here. No insulation of any kind. No damp course, no central heating. I put double glazing in not long after I moved in, it was like a living in a barn before that. And not one of those good barns like you see on Grand Designs, either.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

The information I have regarding cavity wall insulation is purely anecdotal - I've not seen it anywhere in print, so may not be widespread.

All the houses where my mate lives in Annbank near Ayr (all council and ex-council houses) have had insulation fitted to the outside of the wall, and rendered. Seems to work well, but like most things it'll be largely down to the skill and thoroughness of the installer. Lots of these in Preston have had to be removed. I heard the council caught a cold with that project.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Geoff.

I bet your place does have a DPC (damp proof course) of some sort Martin, even if it's only slate course. Or is it a converted seventeenth century barn?

I'm Steve.

Them seventeenth century barns are ok if they include a buxom lady in a frilly skirt waiting in the loft for some rumpy-pumpy.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I bet your place does have a DPC (damp proof course) of some sort Martin, even if it's only slate course. Or is it a converted seventeenth century barn?
    People I bought it off told me there was none. Even though they had the place completely renovated in 1973. All the electrics need doing as well at some point. Could probably sink ten grand into it and still not sort everything.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

One would think there was something or it would have rotted. Probably as Geoff says a slate skirt
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread