+ Reply to Thread
Page 216 of 1177 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266316716 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 11761

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I had a friend who left his Audiolab amp on 24/7 and it failed catastrophically, although it didn't burn the house down or anything it was irreparable by the time he got back.
    Sounds like a serious design fault then (substandard protection circuitry inside the equipment in question), or some bizarre set of circumstances occurring, as normally that shouldn't happen!

"Catastrophic failure", however, normally involves the existence of a fire or something blowing up rather spectacularly!

Some flakey Croft amps aside, I've had an amplifier fuse blow only once and it was in use (cranking up a Cambridge P70 into some Celestion A2) not on switch on.

I used to leave my CD player on 24/7 and a ribbon connector burned out.

I used to leave my Linn LK100 on all the time and now it sounds quite noisy (hiss through speakers with nothing connected) which I'm sure it didn't use to.

So my own experiences of 24/7 power up are not good and since I personally can't hear any difference between 'cold' and 'warmed up' I don't do it anymore.
    Fair enough, mate. That's understandable Your experience is your experience. In that respect, mine is the complete opposite.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

I have an Amptastic Mini-1 which has been on for about six months now. Perfect for using with my Amazon Echo - I couldn't be doing with having to switch it on before asking 'Alexa' for something.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Have you tried asking Alexa for a blowjob?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

The only time I’ve had fuses blow on switch-on is when there is a pre-existing fault, such as a shorted output transistor.

I personally would not leave any of my equipment powered permanently,
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    The only time I’ve had fuses blow on switch-on is when there is a pre-existing fault, such as a shorted output transistor.
    Really? That's surprising. It's happened to me loads of times over the years, most recently with my Sony blu-ray player, which I'd foolishly switched off, until one day recently I accidentally bumped the 'On' switch, when I was cleaning, and it blew the main board (only discovered after it would no longer respond to the remote control and went in for repair). Fortunately, the player was still under warranty!

I guess it comes down to what your own experience dictates. However, I'm convinced that there is good reason not to continually switch electrical equipment on and off, and by that I mean simply on the level of every day, after you've finished listening to it, and then back on again the next day to use it. Whether you'll actually experience the negative effect of that or not, in my view, is simply down to luck.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Really? That's surprising. It's happened to me loads of times over the years, most recently with my Sony blu-ray player, which I'd foolishly switched off, until one day recently I accidentally bumped the 'On' switch, when I was cleaning, and it blew the main board (only discovered after it would no longer respond to the remote control and went in for repair). Fortunately, the player was still under warranty!

I guess it comes down to what your own experience dictates. However, I'm convinced that there is good reason not to continually switch electrical equipment on and off, and by that I mean simply on the level of every day, after you've finished listening to it, and then back on again the next day to use it. Whether you'll actually experience the negative effect of that or not, in my view, is simply down to luck.

Marco.
    You probably shorted something when you "bumped" it with a spunky willy-end, while "cleaning". A word of caution: those loading trays can be vicious.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Have you tried asking Alexa for a blowjob?

Marco.
    I can't believe this, but no I haven't! I will do when I get back from work though (I'll wait till Mrs. P goes out, just in case Alexa says yes).

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

Had a really vivid dream last night.

It was an episode of Minder. I was Terry McCann and Arthur Daley had accidentally flooded my flat so he put me up at an hotel. But the hotel turned out to be a flophouse with all sorts of odd characters knocking about. The main plot was there was this glamorous bird who Chisholm had in the frame for something but who was innocent. So we had to keep her out his way until the real culprit was caught. The sub plot was that Arthur had a load of dodgy whisky and cigars that he was trying to unload.

Woke up, thought what a weird dream. Went to the bog, went back to bed and fell asleep and it carried on! In the end we were smuggling this bird out through a revolving door whilst Chisolm was going through it the other way. So strange. And before you ask, no, I've not seen an episode of Minder in well over a year.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. I'll have some of what you're on.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hmm. I'll have some of what you're on.
    I'm not on anything, not had a drop in a week. That's probably the cause, thinking about it. Subconscious brain has been sedated for too long and is making up for lost time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread