+ Reply to Thread
Page 295 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345395795 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 11724

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Enjoy... It's currently Lent, for us Catholics, so I'm off all alcohol for six weeks!

Marco.
    Why would you do that to yourself? If you're going to give up something, at least choose something you don't like anyway

Last night was the first time I've been in a pub this year (apart from getting a bite to eat). I met my brother and some of his mates - I was only there from 7pm till 8.30. His friend and neighbour who was there, goes in this pub with his wife every Friday at 5pm, and stays till kicking out time. I couldn't afford to do that, even if I wanted to.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Havent had a drink for a couple of years...certainly feels that long
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Why would you do that to yourself? If you're going to give up something, at least choose something you don't like anyway
    Lol - the idea is that you choose something difficult to give up, so it tests your willpower. In reality, in that respect, I'd be harder for me to have given up listening to music, watching TV or posting on here for six weeks, than alcohol. I don't really miss it, save when I sit down to a nice Sunday lunch with a glass of mineral water, rather than Margaux!

Other than that, I'm happy with soft drinks, water and tea/coffee, which at any time of the year, is what I drink most

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Forgive my ignorance, but is Lent a Catholic thing? I, and most people I come across aren't Catholics, but I know lots of these folk have "given something up" for Lent. I suppose lots of people embrace it for other reasons, making lifestyle changes, albeit temporary, rather like that most temporary of changes, the New Year resolutions.

I have given up pancakes for Lent, and as I didn't have any on Shrove Tuesday, Lent will be particularly lengthy this year.

Talking about pancakes has now made me want some, so sod it, I'm going to make some! I'll just abstain from having them with ice cream

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

I actually did have a pancake on pancake day this year, first time in decades. It was from Asda though
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Never tried shop-bought ones, I assume you would just microwave them for a few minutes.

I should give them a go - the shittest part of pancake days for me is that I get the job of making them, which means about an hour of making the damned things for everyone, with just a few minutes eating them.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

About 30 seconds in the microwave.

Prefer the American style short stack with butter, ice cream and maple syrup myself. Could eat that right now in fact.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but is Lent a Catholic thing?
    Read post #2941, daftee. You quoted me saying that it was a Catholic thing... Pay attention at the back!

I thought you were abstaining from sex? No great change from usual, then!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Read post #2941, daftee. You quoted me saying that it was a Catholic thing... Pay attention at the back!

I thought you were abstaining from sex? No great change from usual, then!

Marco.
    I know you said that, but I was questioning whether it might extend to other varieties of Christian. My ex missus came from an Irish Catholic family, and they'd do things like not eat meat on a Friday. But they would never have given up alcohol for Lent. No way.

T'other system:

A/V:

Ah I see... Can't comment on other Christians, as I'm not au fait with their faith. However for Catholics, on certain days, such as Good Friday, it's what's called fast and abstinence, and you shouldn't eat meat then, and indeed just lightly all day.

As I said, giving up alcohol for 6 weeks really isn't that big a deal. as alcohol doesn't rule my life. In fact, I'm not addicted to anything. I miss having a few glasses of wine with a nice meal at home, and if we're going out to a country pub, I miss having a pint of real ale, but that's it.

It would be much harder giving up home-cooked food, and eating ready meals, or Mc Donalds for 6 weeks!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread