+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 641141541621631641651661742142646641164 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 11724

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you were at the centre of a circular room with walls being a single mirror all the way round, what would you see reflected?
    Anyone remember the original release of No Earthly Connection by Rick Wakemen that came with a bit of mirrored foil that you made into a tube to use to view the distorted image on the album cover? You could look down the inside too and look at the reflected image of a picture of the earth IIRC, which would be similar to the above, but I can't remember what it looked like.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting stuff, Barry. However, even with a good book and a supply of ice-cream, I doubt I would've had the patience to have waited for several hours. It's just not my idea of fun, as I'd get bored and fed up pretty quickly, just hanging around.

How did you manage to retain your place in the queue (whilst I presume seated) reading a book and eating ice-cream?

Marco.
    . Managed to queue for 4 hours in a field at Wimbledon this year ( mad I know ) but at least you get to lay down on the grass for long periods
    so not too bad ( Gulp ) .But once inside the tennis is amazing to watch live much better than viewing on tv and stewards, shop staff were so helpful and friendly with
    not a jobsworth insight !

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Interesting stuff, Barry. However, even with a good book and a supply of ice-cream, I doubt I would've had the patience to have waited for several hours. It's just not my idea of fun, as I'd get bored and fed up pretty quickly, just hanging around.

How did you manage to retain your place in the queue (whilst I presume seated) reading a book and eating ice-cream?

Marco.
    That's the point of going with a friend: one of you goes to buy the ice creams, the other keeps the place in the queue. The book was Daphne Du Maurier's 'Jamaica Inn' which I found quite engrossing, so the time passed quickly.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    You probably know this already but if you become a member at Tate you can just rock up and walk in whenever you like.

For £120 a year you get a "member plus guest" - it's not cheap, but the Picasso is £22 a ticket, so if you go to see three exhibitions a year it's worth it. Plus you get access to nice members rooms and it's not at all policed so you can lend the cards to friends very easily.
    Yes, they all do membership: the Tate; RA; Southbank etc. Will probably join next year. I hadn't realised it was "member plus guest", so that makes it even more attractive.

Agree with your comment on the presumption of honesty - we were given OAP concession when we booked and no questions were asked.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That's the point of going with a friend: one of you goes to buy the ice creams, the other keeps the place in the queue.
    Lol - pity the poor bugger who was made to stand there all that time in the heat, while you sat back reading your book, licking an ice-cream!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Lol - pity the poor bugger who was made to stand there all that time in the heat, while you sat back reading your book, licking an ice-cream!

Marco.
    You don't understand: one of you goes to buy the ice creams/drinks for both of you, then returns to the queue, where your place has been kept by the other person. Then later the rôles are reversed.
    Barry

Lol - I do understand... Whatever way you cut it, it still involves a lot of standing around, overall, for BOTH of you, if you're talking nearly three hours before you get in!

Feck that for a game of soldiers...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

I'm with you Marco. I simply won't do anything that involves waiting in queues for ages.

Yeah, Geoff, each to their own, I suppose... For me, life's too short. The only way I'd entertain that would be if there was a pub nearby, so I could sit in comfort and have a few cold beers, while I was waiting!!

Unfortunately, I'm not known for my patience, and queues/crowds just get me down.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm with you Marco. I simply won't do anything that involves waiting in queues for ages.
    In 1989 there was no way of easily pre-booking tickets for a foreign exhibition. It was long before the internet.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread