+ Reply to Thread
Page 331 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341381431831 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 11724

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Regardless of culture I'd say that in general women have a very clear idea of what they want. Men are generally happy to go along with that, not just for an easy life but because they really are not bothered what colour the kitchen worktops are or where to go on holiday. They might have a preference but not so much as the woman for whom such things are a much bigger deal.
    The other thing, in relation to the above, and returning to the whole 'SWMBO' thing, with hi-fi, is that if the above is true, and I don't doubt it, then that would explain why women married to blokes with an interest in hi-fi are usually in charge of what's 'allowed' in the lounge....

So the blokes concerned only have themselves to blame for not being 'bothered' enough about what the house was like, and for going along with whatever 'SWMBO' wanted, and therefore shouldn't moan on hi-fi forums now about not being 'allowed' to have a big pair of speakers (or whatever)!!

As they say, you reap what you sow... So man the fuck up in the first place, and speak your mind, or 'she' will just walk all over you ....

Themz the facts, muchachos.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    God alone knows. I moved out the day after I finished my A levels. I had a countdown going for the last six months.

My mother didn't go in for mothering or cooking or any of that stuff. She liked going to the shops and talking to her friends. Anything that took time away from doing that was a negative to her. My father was overseas a lot, but when he was home his attitude was that you had to work out your problems for yourself so don't come bothering him with anything. So we were left to our own devices pretty much.
    Ok, no worries. Again, very different from what I was used to. I hope the experience didn't impact on you too negatively, as it all sounds rather cold and distant...

I've always been very close to my mum and dad, being able to discuss anything with them (I guess partly arising from being an only child), and that's why I have the type of relationship I do now with my dad (still enjoying his company regularly), and indeed did with my mum right up until she died.

Anyway, at least you go and visit your mum, so you guys must still get on ok

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

I'm probably one of the worst offenders when it comes to comments like SWMBO, or "her indoors", but I use it just for comic effect, as I suspect many others may do. Truth is, all decisions are arrived at by mutual consent, things such as holidays, décor, furniture and cars. Although things that Anita knows mean more to me, like hifi and music purchases I pretty much get free rein on, finances permitting.

I know there'll be some relationships where the hubby "brings home the bacon" while the little lady stays at home and keeps the place nice. And she is given an allowance to pay for food and kid's clothes etc. This is how Anita's previous dickhead did things. Then there will be couples where the hubby hands over his wages and gets some spending money. Neither of these arrangements would work for us. We pool our incomes and everything comes from that "pot".

The comments I post about Mrs. P should be taken with a pinch of salt. The reality is that we are two possibly slightly broken individuals who combine to make one reasonably well functioning machine. We are a team, and through love and mutual respect we get by pretty well.

I have no right to impose my will on Anita, and I know she feels the same about me
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

That's all cool, Steve... However, in your experience, throughout your time in sales, selling UPVC doors, windows or whatever, among those you've dealt with to date as customers, who would you say generally are the decision makers, when you close a deal, the men or the women of the house, or is it fairly even?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I'm probably one of the worst offenders when it comes to comments like SWMBO, or "her indoors"
    Neither are terms I've used. I've got a 'she who has a moan, but eventually gives up 'cos she realises it's like banging her head on the wall'.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Neither are terms I've used. I've got a 'she who has a moan, but eventually gives up 'cos she realises it's like banging her head on the wall'.
    Ah - you mean 'SWHAMBEGUCSRILBHHOTW'.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Generally how it was for me, was that mum would be 'in charge' of the house, especially the kitchen, which was fiercely 'her domain' (and that's exactly how *she* wanted it, not necessarily my dad, but he of course happily went along with that, especially as she was such a good cook!) including paying the household bills, doing the food shopping and (mostly) looking after me.

Dad would mostly be 'in charge' of the garden, the garage, where all his tools were (gardening and woodwork), and anything to do with the car or the running of the business - but - if necessary those things were still discussed between them, so it was very much a partnership, and therefore formed what I expected later in my life from a marriage or relationship.

I’m not casting aspersions on your situation at all, Marco but, to me that’s almost too much the other way and is almost back in the 1950s way of thinking – the man does the 'blue' man jobs and the woman does the 'pink' girly things and has the house neat and tidy with dinner on the table when he comes home? Stuff that! I couldn't think of anything worse, personally.

However, I am absolutely with you on the equal partnership thing, but my experiences come from having strong female role models in my life. My parents had me late in life so by the time I was a teenager my father had taken early retirement and did a lot of the household running as my mother still worked. Equally, my sister is the main breadwinner in her house and Mrs. B is in charge of global statutory accounting for a US publishing company and earns four times what I do! As a result, I actually do more of the ‘pink’ jobs than most men, purely because of the long hours she works. I cook during the week, do most of the day-to-day housework and if I want something ironed, I’ll give you three guesses who does it! On the other hand, at the weekend, you’ll often find Ursula mowing the lawn whilst I trim the hedges or something like that. We do what is needed when it is needed without any rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    In my job as a salesman, selling all sorts of stuff, over many years to couples living together, married or otherwise, if I'd earned a pound every time I made a sale, where quite clearly, the woman turned out to be the decision maker at home, I can tell you I'd be much richer than if I'd applied the same to the men!
    I also have to pick up on this point as well. As mentioned Ursula is the big earner and having any salesmen come to the house is often entertaining for all the wrong reasons! Any tradesmen we have taken on are the ones who speak to us as equals and never assume that she is the ‘little woman’. I remember in our last house, one double glazing salesman and one guttering salesman where I struggled to hide my mirth. Their sales pitches were excellent but both directed all their comments to me and only referred to Ursula very infrequently – one actually made some sort of classic “shoes and handbags” type crack and I almost exploded trying to hold my laughter in, as I knew he wouldn’t be getting the job. Fortunately this sort of Neanderthal behaviour seems to be on the way out, which is a good thing.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Grant.

I did all of both...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Hi Adam,

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I’m not casting aspersions on your situation at all, Marco but, to me that’s almost too much the other way and is almost back in the 1950s way of thinking – the man does the 'blue' man jobs and the woman does the 'pink' girly things and has the house neat and tidy with dinner on the table when he comes home? Stuff that! I couldn't think of anything worse, personally.
    Well, firstly I'm only stating how it was when I was growing up, and apart from being a big daftee it hasn't done me any harm! Secondly, whilst I appreciate where you're coming from, and taken to extremes no rigid way of thinking or behaviour is good, I disagree that having strong morals and old-fashioned family values is a bad thing.

Maybe if more parents today had time to bring up their kids properly, in a stable and loving environment (rather than both working all the hours under the sun, to fund a lifestyle they can ill afford, and as a result not bonding properly with them, and which they later grow to regret), as I was very fortunate to have, and crucially, brought children into the world for the right reasons in the first place, the world wouldn't be in its current state?

For me, if you can ever see your kids as an 'inconvenience' or stifling your social life, and feel resentful towards them for that reason, as was intimated earlier, then quite frankly, you shouldn't have had them in the first place! The fact is, once you have kids, your life has changed forever, and what's best for YOU is no longer your priority.

There are too many 'damaged goods' [people with serious emotional issues] around these days, from being brought into this world, as a result of a drunken fumble in the back of bus (or its equivalent), and who end up with 'parents' who don't give a damn and aren't worthy of the name, then end up suffering the consequences, so for me the traditional father/mother roles in parenting, whilst not perfect, still have a lot going for them.

Don't get me wrong though, when I said that's what I've grown to expect from a marital relationship, I didn't mean having 'wifey' stuck in front of the kitchen sink and slaving over a hot stove all day, while I 'bring home the bacon', as it were, but rather the respecting of each other as equals and working together as a team, as opposed to the opposite, which is so often in evidence these days! Ultimately, it's about what works best in a relationship and keeps both people feeling happy and fulfilled.

That's certainly the case in my marriage, as I'm sure it is in yours

I also have to pick up on this point as well. As mentioned Ursula is the big earner and having any salesmen come to the house is often entertaining for all the wrong reasons! Any tradesmen we have taken on are the ones who speak to us as equals and never assume that she is the ‘little woman’. I remember in our last house, one double glazing salesman and one guttering salesman where I struggled to hide my mirth. Their sales pitches were excellent but both directed all their comments to me and only referred to Ursula very infrequently – one actually made some sort of classic “shoes and handbags” type crack and I almost exploded trying to hold my laughter in, as I knew he wouldn’t be getting the job. Fortunately this sort of Neanderthal behaviour seems to be on the way out, which is a good thing.
    Lol - that's really funny. I can relate to it *so* well, as I've seen it happening many times!

I wasn't insinuating that as a salesman you should take for granted who the decision maker is (man or woman), as that's a sure recipe for failure, but that quite simply in 35-odd years of selling, when it comes to things for the house, it's mostly the women in a relationship who make the final decisions, which is of course neatly highlighted by your point about Ursula!

Also, the best salespeople NEVER rely on 'sales pitches' to close deals, as anyone with sufficient intelligence can see right through them!!

Instead, you use your charm, people skills, overall knowledge of the product, and professionalism, to inspire confidence in the customer and make them feel comfortable with you, and LIKE you, [a good rapport must be established between both of you] because more often than not in face-to-face selling, only if someone LIKES you, will they buy from you - and that has been my recipe for success, for many years, as a salesman and businessman.

Transparent 'sales pitches' are for the fly-by-nights and those who *think* that they're good salespeople, but aren't, as there is unlikely any substance or longevity to a relationship between a customer and salesperson, if it's been built upon a superficial 'sales pitch' - and the only way to stay in business and create a stable longterm income, is to have loyal customers...

However, they soon learn the hard way, and that in the long term, scams or sales pitches don't work, much like using 'chat up lines' on girls!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread