+ Reply to Thread
Page 556 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 564565065465545555565575585666066561056 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,560 of 11726

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Barry, Martin, your thoughts please on the above?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'll replay later - I'm having trouble posting lengthy posts on the laptop at the moment: I get 'Securi Firewall' failure to post warnings.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

house of lords is often a stablising force although, yes its a trough like all politics is. i am not sure the govt should pick any more than the opposition, and maybe a picked crew from the commoners
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Yes, I know, but does it have to be a stabilising force, full of stuck up, chinless wonders?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Soz for the late reply - been busy elsewhere!

Sure, and I get that, but it'd still be more beneficial to the interests of ordinary people, if members of the HoL weren't all upper-class 'hoity-toities', and instead was populated by people who were more grounded and in touch with the real world.

Chances are, because they're 'posh types', that even though they can put a brake on authoritarian government policies, they'll most likely still have Tory leanings, especially if some of them are friends of Boris Johnson, or any other leading members of the Tory party.

Therefore, in order to be most effective in their 'spoiling' role, they should instead be working class/ordinary folks, and therefore more inclined to oppose Tory policies.

What's disgraceful and should be abolished, is anyone being given preferential treatment or 'favours', as a result of having 'friends or relations in high places'. No matter how you dress it up, that's corruption, pure and simple, and therefore has no place in the fairer and more just society we should be striving for.

Indeed, and that's what pisses me off. That shit should be totally eradicated, and the vote for such instead put in the hands of the British people, not the privileged elite!

Marco.
    Okay then first off they are not all 'upper-class 'hoity-toities', people from any background can be ennobled and there is a maximum of 92 hereditary (aka 'hoity-toity') peers allowed to be in the HoL.

I've met a couple of Lords who were Labour life peers. They weren't from the gutter but they certainly weren't upper class.

Plus there's nothing necessarily wrong with the hereditary peers, you have the concept of noblesse oblige to take into account.

I wouldn't class Boris Johnson as an 'authoritarian' politician - quite the opposite in fact, but I suppose he could still surprise me. I also doubt that he has many pals in the HoL which is possibly why he's just put a couple in there...

you will never get rid of the old boys club, the old school tie and all that so I wouldn't bother. Everyone, everywhere, at any level, does favours for their mates. It's an intrinsic part of life. Obviously misuse of public funds when doing so is wrong, but that is already illegal. You might argue there is not enough scrutiny of that though, and I'd agree.

I think that compared to the vast majority of countries in the world we do have a fair and just society. It's all relative I suppose and there's always room for improvement. But in comparison our system works, Royal Family and all, and if it's not broke then don't fix it; you could create all sorts of unwanted outcomes.

Personally I've no interest in becoming a social justice warrior. In the first place there's already far too many of them, and in the second place they are often total dicks.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

As for fixed terms, it's not a good idea in general.. The great thing re lords is once ur on your in.
    You can promise the govt etc that you'll vote for their policies but once there you can just do what u want. They can't deselect you.. Afaik
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

So to prevent the membership ever increasing, you have to have a 'one dead, one new member' policy?

I think a fixed duration of tenure of say 15 to 25 years is ample, for members to do their job.

Regarding the concept of noblesse oblige, I doubt if applies to some of the current hereditary peers. Why should anyone who is conceived in the 'right bed' inherit unearned privilege and status?
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Why should anyone who is conceived in the 'right bed' inherit unearned privilege and status?
    Exactly... Excusez-moi, pour mon français, but FUCK THAT!

I'll reply properly later to Martin, but one of the things I *deeply abhor*, and that irks me beyond belief, is the elitism [born from a financial status-orientated, unjust class system] that's rife in British politics, and UK society as a whole.

You should be 'entitled' to FUCK ALL, in terms of privileges or special treatment, in any walk of life, unless you've earned it, fairly and squarely. Social status/background or class simply shouldn't come into it, only hard work and natural ability.

In that respect, there are WAY too many in-bred, brainless hooray-henries/do-next-to-fuck all [but earn plenty] chinless-wonder hanger-on-ers, occupying top positions in business and politics today, who've got there solely through WHO they know/are, not WHAT they know, and that unfortunate situation needs immediately and grossly redressed!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Okay then first off they are not all 'upper-class 'hoity-toities', people from any background can be ennobled and there is a maximum of 92 hereditary (aka 'hoity-toity') peers allowed to be in the HoL.
    Well, that's 92 too many, IMO, unless they've EARNED the right to be there, not simply inherited it through status.

I've met a couple of Lords who were Labour life peers. They weren't from the gutter but they certainly weren't upper class.
    Good stuff. Well then, we need more like them in the HoL, and less snooty, out of touch, hoity-toity fucks.

I wouldn't class Boris Johnson as an 'authoritarian' politician - quite the opposite in fact, but I suppose he could still surprise me. I also doubt that he has many pals in the HoL which is possibly why he's just put a couple in there...
    Fair enough, and I agree about BJ.

I wasn't saying, per se, that HE was authoritarian, but rather that many government policies are, instigated by both the Tories and Labour, but particularly the Tories - as indeed we've seen, in terms of how the current pandemic has been used by the government as a convenient excuse to surveil and impose more control upon the population, and IMO, in some circumstances, unjustifiably remove people's civil liberties.

You can't get much more 'authoritarian' than that!

you will never get rid of the old boys club, the old school tie and all that so I wouldn't bother.
    WHY...?? Is there some 'unwritten rule' I'm unaware of, which prevents that and makes them untouchable?

Fuck that, if it were up to me, I'd all send them all tumbling down to where they belong!

Everyone, everywhere, at any level, does favours for their mates. It's an intrinsic part of life.
    Indeed, but THAT doesn't make it right, nor preclude one from having a desire to fix it.

Obviously misuse of public funds when doing so is wrong, but that is already illegal. You might argue there is not enough scrutiny of that though, and I'd agree.
    Indeed... And so why do you think that is, I wonder...? Could it be 'conveniently' covered up, simply to protect the best interests of those misusing them?? If so, that DEFINITELY needs scrutinising!

I think that compared to the vast majority of countries in the world we do have a fair and just society. It's all relative I suppose and there's always room for improvement. But in comparison our system works, Royal Family and all, and if it's not broke then don't fix it; you could create all sorts of unwanted outcomes.
    Well, I consider that it's fundamentally broken in MANY different ways, and that situation will remain, as long as there exists such an immoral and obscenely unequal division of wealth in our country - and THAT sad state of affairs shouldn't simply be shrugged off and accepted as 'the norm', but tackled HEAD ON and something done about it!!

And just because we're doing ok in the UK, in terms of having a fair and just society, compared with other countries, doesn't mean that we should just sit back and not try and make things better.

Personally I've no interest in becoming a social justice warrior. In the first place there's already far too many of them, and in the second place they are often total dicks.
    Me neither, but it won't stop me pointing out what's wrong, or expressing a desire to do something about it - and trust me - if I had the necessary power, it'd do it in the blink of an eye!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Me neither, but it won't stop me pointing out what's wrong, or expressing a desire to do something about it - and trust me - if I had the necessary power, it'd do it in the blink of an eye!!

Marco.
    Say you did have the power, specifically how would you go about sorting the alleged 'obscene and immoral, unequal division of wealth in our country' ?

The wealthiest 1% in UK are reckoned to be worth about 90 billion, which sounds a lot, but it isn't that much once you confiscate it and whack it out amongst the rest of us. It's about £1300 each.

You could spend it on infrastructure but it isn't even enough to pay for HS2.

So you might need to do some more 'levelling out' and go for the next tier of wealthy. How long before it gets to you and me? And pretty soon you effectively have communism and you're having to mine the beaches to stop us from trying to escape the nightmare.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread