+ Reply to Thread
Page 201 of 1177 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301701 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 11761

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I quite often did mine on the bus to school... It was a good 35-minute journey, so there was usually enough time to 'cobble together' some bollox!

Marco.

I got into serious trouble over some maths homework done in a lastminute.com style. The teacher called me over, and laid into me about how untidy my work was. 'Apart from anything else, it looks like you used a cigarette packet to rule these lines' he said, to which I replied 'I did, sir'. I truly wasn't intending to be cheeky, but he thought I was, so I got a belting.

I'm Grant.

I shared a bedroom with my bro. it was a decent size but damn cold as we didnt have the upstairs fires on. solid ice on insides of windows etc... we all scuttled down to the livingroom fire to get dressed..lol.
    I had a big old valve radio and a mono grundig reel to reel as my companions.

Homework? whats that?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I didn't even have my own bedroom, let alone a 'music system'. First I shared a bedroom with my two older sisters, and was then moved into the box-room with my little brother. There was just about enough room for bunk beds, and for us to get into the beds (having checked a house for sale in the road, the room was 9'7 x 5'10). When I was about 14, my father got a car, and we had a garage built with a bedroom over the top, and we moved in there. It was roomier than the box-room, but colder and smelled of petrol. There was a family Dansette record player in the sitting room, and a large radio in a walnut case in the dining room, and those were the only sources of music in the house.
    Cool - bet you still all had fun, though!

As an only child, I was fortunate to have my own bedroom, which always had cool stuff in it to keep me amused. Had a portable TV in there too, around the same time as I got my first computer, which meant I could sneakily watch programmes in bed (such as The Sweeney), when I should've been asleep

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Cool - bet you still all had fun, though!
    My brother and I got on fine, but my sisters were always arguing about something. There were also some spectacular rows between one of my sisters and my mother, usually about my sister staying out too late with 'unsuitable' boyfriends. Doors would be slammed, voices raised, usually ending with my mother shouting the immortal lines 'Just wait till your father gets home'. Then when he did get home, which was late, because he worked shifts, the rows would start again.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I shared a bedroom with my bro. it was a decent size but damn cold as we didnt have the upstairs fires on. solid ice on insides of windows etc... we all scuttled down to the livingroom fire to get dressed..lol.
    I had a big old valve radio and a mono grundig reel to reel as my companions.
    Lol... Weren't electric heaters invented then? I seem to always remember having one of those 'Dimplex' heaters in my room, which I'd switch on when it got cold. Can't ever remember being freezing at home, as in the lounge we had a nice coal fire, which heated the whole of the downstairs.

We also had Everest double-glazing installed throughout, I think sometime in the mid-70s, so the house was never really that cold. Mum and dad also had one of those big 'wooden cabinet radiograms', which included a turntable, and sounded pretty good, but that was for listening to their Mario Lanza and Frank Sinatra records on, which at the time I hated!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Lol... Weren't electric heaters invented then? I seem to always remember having one of those 'Dimplex' heaters in my room, which I'd switch on when it got cold. Can't ever remember being freezing at home, as in the lounge we had a nice coal fire, which heated the whole of the downstairs.

We also had Everest double-glazing installed throughout, I think sometime in the mid-70s, so the house was never really that cold. Mum and dad also had one of those big 'wooden cabinet radiograms', which included a turntable, and sounded pretty good, but that was for listening to their Mario Lanza and Frank Sinatra records on, which at the time I hated!

Marco.
    we got double glazing and central heating in 70's too. did help a lot. it was a big, old house and it did catch a lot of weather being high up on the hill. Didnt have any electric heaters as they cost too much tbh. No complaints tho as it was a great house to grow up in in 60's etc. most folk had a lot less.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Yeah, I was only allowed to put the heater on for a while, when it was cold, just to take the chill off the room, then had to switch it off or I got a bollocking. Like you say though, the best thing was getting central heating

You posted a pic of your old house once, and it was very nice. We lived up high too, at the top of a hill and at the end of a cul-de-sac. I just Googled and found a recent picture of our old house, where I grew up. Nothing fancy, just a semi-detached, but it was in a nice quiet area on the south side of Glasgow:

Ours was the one on the far R/H side of the picture, with the white door and where you can just see the outline of a car port. If you look in the distance, you'll see some large tower blocks, which will give you an idea of how high up we were. My bedroom overlooked the hills at the back. Had a great view

We used to get snowed in all the time, as with a car, there was only one way in and out, and when it was really bad, the steep hill that led down to the main road was unusable. You couldn't get up or down it without skidding all over the place. Great for sledging down, though!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

nice area by looks of it. my kind of place; not surrounded by numpties lol. where i stay now is ok, alas its semi detatched so you get all the noise from next door as walls are thin. late 40's basic builds after the war. last semi i stayed it, the walls were twice as thick... mums house was detatched and had thick walls
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

googled the old house...the new owners have bastardised the front garden Was hundreds of nice bushes and roses etc in there in rows. looked great in summer.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    nice area by looks of it. my kind of place; not surrounded by numpties lol. where i stay now is ok, alas its semi detatched so you get all the noise from next door as walls are thin. late 40's basic builds after the war. last semi i stayed it, the walls were twice as thick... mums house was detatched and had thick walls
    Yeah it was a nice area, populated in the main by reasonably affluent middle-class families, so it was safe to play outside and cycle around on your bike, without fear of encountering any 'neds' One of my best mates used to live across the road, and the other one was just along at the bottom of the street.

We were also lucky to live beside one of the nicest parks in Glasgow, if not Scotland, which featured a beautiful waterfall, among other things: https://www.google.com/search?client...-pdbF1ixk_MqM:

Had some great times there getting up to all sorts!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread