+ Reply to Thread
Page 822 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 322722772812820821822823824832872922 ... LastLast
Results 8,211 to 8,220 of 11724

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm guy.

Churchill was certainly no friend of he working classes (apparently the crane operators along the Thames had to be paid overtime to lower the the cranes as part of his funeral procession). He believed in the superiority of white "races" and supposedly hated Ghandi.

It would be a great error to claim that he "single handedly defeated Hitler"; I think that Gopal is over egging their case in assuming that anyone has stated that.
    But, Churchill was a great figurehead in a time of national (world? definitely European) crisis. His actions, and use of his American family ties bought Britain enough time to survive (just!) until the Americans entered the war as combatants.

By the standards of today, some of his thoughts and deeds were reprehensible - he was a "man of his times", as was Abraham Lincoln

Portion of Lincoln's speech (in "Lincoln / Douglas" debates 1858 ):

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races — that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Portion of Lincoln's speech (in "Lincoln / Douglas" debates 1858 ):

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races — that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."
    Well, that's a statement I fundamentally disagree with, and that amounts to racial discrimination. Why would the white race automatically be assigned the superior position - what exactly did they do to EARN that right?

It should NEVER be about 'superior' or 'inferior', black or white, but rather in as far as is possible, EQUALITY!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Got a sore arm from the Flu jab yesterday. I get the Covid booster tomorrow, then I'll be sorted for now .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Got a sore arm from the Flu jab yesterday. I get the Covid booster tomorrow, then I'll be sorted for now .
    daughter got both hers yesterday too..
    Last edited by struth; 15-10-2021 at 08:23.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Apparently there are a couple of million job vacancies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shortage.html

And, 1.5 million unemployed.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ed-kingdom-uk/

So that's 75% of the problem sorted then .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, that's a statement I fundamentally disagree with, and that amounts to racial discrimination. Why would the white race automatically be assigned the superior position - what exactly did they do to EARN that right?

It should NEVER be about 'superior' or 'inferior', black or white, but rather in as far as is possible, EQUALITY!

Marco.
    Absolutely right Marco; my point is that at the time (and for quite a few years after) Lincoln was looked on as being a dangerous "liberal" thinker because despite his views on racial superiority he has this mad (for the time) idea that people shouldn't keep slaves.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Zak.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Apparently there are a couple of million job vacancies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shortage.html

And, 1.5 million unemployed.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ed-kingdom-uk/

So that's 75% of the problem sorted then .
    I'm one of those 1.5 Million

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Absolutely right Marco; my point is that at the time (and for quite a few years after) Lincoln was looked on as being a dangerous "liberal" thinker because despite his views on racial superiority he has this mad (for the time) idea that people shouldn't keep slaves.
    Indeed, and so all these years later, what's changed in terms of 'the powers that be' being threatened by, and seeking to silence, 'dangerous liberal thinkers'?

That's the worrying thing, along with how little (in real terms) we've done to fundamentally address and eradicate racism and slavery, both of which are still prevalent today, and shows that in key areas of modern society how little progress has been made since Lincoln's days!

So what does that say about our authorities and decision makers now and how much they *really* care?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, and so all these years later, what's changed in terms of 'the powers that be' being threatened by, and seeking to silence, 'dangerous liberal thinkers'?

That's the worrying thing, along with how little (in real terms) we've done to fundamentally address and eradicate racism and slavery, both of which are still prevalent today, and shows that in key are
    as of modern society how little progress has been made since Lincoln's days!

So what does that say about our authorities and decision makers and how much they *really* care?

Marco.
    Britain was the first country in the world to abolish slavery, not only that but fully half the Royal Navy (several thousand ships at the time) was deployed to combat the international slave trade. All at great expense. But yeah, we're the bad guys of history.

As regards Churchill (and Lincoln) I'll have to repeat 'The past is another country.' They were living in a time when it was accepted that there were racial differences and a superior/inferior situation. If you or I had lived back them we'd have thought the same. You can't judge the distant past by modern standards.

No-one has ever claimed Churchill defeated the Nazis 'single-handed.' Straw-man argument. However he was certainly instrumental in saving the world from the Nazis and Imperial Japan. For which everyone on the planet should be extremely and forever grateful, not just to him but to the UK and its Commonwealth and Dominions.

No-one is perfect and Churchill never claimed to be, quite the opposite in fact.

It's a shame the Yanks did not pay more attention to his advice, many problems in the world today would have been avoided if they had.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

well i think denmark beat us to it, but maybe it wasnt as entire as britains'... vermont banned adult suffrage before anyone when it was an independant state.

i agree lincoln and churchill were men of their times just like we are now. what many believe here and now, a hundred years or more on may seem like we were evil people too. you cant compare oranges with apples..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread