+ Reply to Thread
Page 328 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 228278318326327328329330338378428828 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,280 of 11724

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Pretty much. Lots of good take-aways here within a few hundred yards, why bother doing it yourself?
    Whatever works mate, but not exactly healthy...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

They cook the lamb chops, or I cook them, don't see what difference it makes health-wise.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Not so much that, but normal takeaways, such as curries, Chinese and fish and chips. It's all the saturated fat and salt. You might not put weight on, but it impacts adversely on your cholesterol levels and blood pressure, which is very bad for you.

Plus, with me, I like knowing what goes in my food and how clean the kitchen is where it's been prepared/cooked (and also the hands of person cooking it), and how fresh the raw ingredients are, none of which is possible with takeaway food, which is why I rarely have it.

Aside from anything else, high standards of food hygiene for me are absolutely paramount

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not so much that, but normal takeaways, such as curries, Chinese and fish and chips. It's all the saturated fat and salt. You might not put weight on, but it impacts adversely on your cholesterol levels and blood pressure, which is very bad for you.

Plus, with me, I like knowing what goes in my food and how clean the kitchen is where it's been prepared/cooked (and also the hands of person cooking it), and how fresh the raw ingredients are, none of which is possible with takeaway food, which is why I rarely have it.

Aside from anything else, high standards of food hygiene for me are absolutely paramount

Marco.
    Luckily for your mum and dad (and you), the good people of Glasgow didn't share your views on takeaways You do seem to frequent a lot of small and family-run restaurants, and presumably the same rules apply there. Do they not get the hump when you insist on inspecting the kitchen and staff prior to ordering your meal?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Lol... Firstly, about our chip-shops, you're absolutely right! It's was (and still is, if you run a chippy) about targeting a market, and what essentially is a British tradition. You'll never find a chip-shop in Italy, but that doesn't mean there's not a good business to be had from selling the product to the Brits!

We rarely ate fish and chips ourselves (or deep-fried food like that), maybe once a week, tops, despite it essentially being a free meal, but there were huge queues outside both our shops on Friday and Saturday nights, in particular, as my did was a stickler for the quality of food he served to his customers, and his shops were always spotless [just the way he is/was]

As for the pubs we go to for lunch, well yes, you can't inspect their kitchens, but that's a chance I'm willing to take, as I like a nice pint of beer and also someone else doing all the cooking and washing up for a change, and of course we're fussy about where we eat out!

Takeaways, I can take or leave (no pun intended), and have them pretty infrequently. I much prefer Del's cooking, whether it be traditional Italian food, French or Chinese or Indian!

Macca's had one of her curries., which I believe he quite enjoyed.....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

I'm guessing then that your dad may have done his fish & chips English style rather than Scottish

This may be a presumption, but the last two times I visited a Scottish chippy (once in Dumfries across from McDonalds and once from an establishment called Frankies on the road up to Ayr) the salt covered everything like snow and I had to launch the top third of the meal. And the pie I bought at Frankies, well, I bit into the pie and about half a pint of liquid fat burst out and soaked the front of my new blouse. What's that all about? Deep fried pie?

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I'm guessing then that your dad may have done his fish & chips English style rather than Scottish

This may be a presumption, but the last two times I visited a Scottish chippy (once in Dumfries across from McDonalds and once from an establishment called Frankies on the road up to Ayr) the salt covered everything like snow and I had to launch the top third of the meal. And the pie I bought at Frankies, well, I bit into the pie and about half a pint of liquid fat burst out and soaked the front of my new blouse. What's that all about? Deep fried pie?
    We always asked customers if they wanted salt or vinegar, and if they said yes to one or the other, or both, put it on slowly in front of them, and allowed them to say how much they wanted. No way would it be drowned in salt or vinegar, unless that's what was wanted.

Plus, the fish used (mostly haddock or whiting) was always obtained fresh from the market in Glasgow, and *never* frozen (as is the case now in the majority of chippies ), which makes a huge difference. My dad also had his own 'secret' batter recipe, and even mixed his own malt vinegar, which had a bit more of a 'kick' to it than the usual stuff, and which customers loved. He only ever used Maris Piper or Kerr's Pinks potatoes [the best for making chips], and all chips were cut and made fresh on the premises, not bought in already cut, as so often is the case these days.

That's where the habit of 'if you're going to do a job, then do it right, or not at all' was instilled in me, which is why anything important I've ever done in life has always been done to the best of my ability, and never half-heartedly!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    I don't care about any of that. I have whatever I fancy, healthy or not.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

As malt vinegar sold for commercial use is a concentrate, the user can decide how much dilution is required. The concentrate itself is pretty minging though.

Anita managed a chippy for a few years, and before that she had her own mobile chippy van which did well until husband number two decided it wasn't worth him missing his "tea on the table when I get home", and made her sell it. So she knows a thing or two about catering. And has become more discerning in her choice of blokes

T'other system:

A/V:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't care about any of that. I have whatever I fancy, healthy or not.
    Fair enough, that's up to you. I'm rather different. It's one of the reasons why my doctor doesn't know me, and I'm almost never ill

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread