+ Reply to Thread
Page 557 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 574575075475555565575585595676076571057 ... LastLast
Results 5,561 to 5,570 of 11724

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Before I answer that, could you please answer this:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca
    you will never get rid of the old boys club, the old school tie and all that so I wouldn't bother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    WHY...?? Is there some 'unwritten rule' I'm unaware of, which prevents that and makes them untouchable?
    Ta... I'd like to know EXACTLY what makes that/them so 'special'?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Plus, you haven't answered Barry's very good question from earlier either:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    Why should anyone who is conceived in the 'right bed' inherit unearned privilege and status?
    So if you could answer that one too, I'd be most obliged

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Before I answer that, could you please answer this:

Ta... I'd like to know EXACTLY what makes that/them so 'special'?

Marco.
    If Steve Smith gets his mate a job on the factory that's no different from Giles Caruthers-Stalin getting his pal a seat on the board. That's gone on since the dawn of time. The only difference is that Giles gets a load of SJW flack for it. Which he ignores of course.

And Steve gets no flak because the average SJW has never been near a factory in their life and has no idea what goes on in them. And it's not going to be reported in the Guardian.

Who you know has always mattered in life, doesn't matter what social class you belong to. You can never change that. The optimal strategy is to accept it and do a lot of networking from an early age, stay in touch with people, be likeable and do favours whenever you can.

Being an angry loner I never did that of course but that's the advice I give my nephews.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If Steve Smith gets his mate a job on the factory that's no different from Giles Caruthers-Stalin getting his pal a seat on the board. That's gone on since the dawn of time. The only difference is that Giles gets a load of SJW flack for it. Which he ignores of course.

And Steve gets no flak because the average SJW has never been near a factory in their life and has no idea what goes on in them. And it's not going to be reported in the Guardian.
    Sure, BUT it doesn't mean that something couldn't still be done to address the situation, *if* the will and wherewithal were there. I'm afraid that I've never been one to shrug my shoulders and simply sit back and accept injustice, inequality or corruption.

Even in the small ways it's affected me in my life, I've always stood up to it and fought it, and often as a result prevented it from happening again [plus punished those responsible] - and the same principle could be applied on a much bigger scale, if the person who wanted it had power to achieve it.

Principles matter greatly to me, and I've always been someone who's defended his to the hilt!

Who you know has always mattered in life, doesn't matter what social class you belong to. You can never change that.
    Yes you can, as I've said, WHEN there exists both a will and a way. You can change most things in life, *if* you're truly determined enough and able!

The optimal strategy is to accept it and do a lot of networking from an early age, stay in touch with people, be likeable and do favours whenever you can.

Being an angry loaner I never did that of course but that's the advice I give my nephews.
    Well, aside from not simply accepting it, apathetically [anything for a 'quiet life', etc], as you appear to be suggesting as the correct response, that's good advice. The highlighted bit could be viewed as a fortunate typo, however, if you're a closet loan shark... In that game, it's better being angry than placid!

Marco.
    Main System

So could you answer Barry's earlier question now please?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Plus, you haven't answered Barry's very good question from earlier either:

So if you could answer that one too, I'd be most obliged

Marco.
    Why should anyone who is conceived in the 'right bed' inherit unearned privilege and status?

Not really specific enough to answer is it? Who are we talking about and what's the definition of privilege and status?

If it means nobility/royalty we have a Royal Family and hereditary peers because they are an inherent part of the nation's culture and identity. It's an intangible but often it's the intangible things that are most important. It's part of social cohesion. Humanity is tribal in nature, that operated on many levels but the nation is a 'super-tribe' as Desmond Morris put it. Makes sense if you view it at that level, at least to me anyway.

You have to have stability first, before you can start achieving anything, and that's what tradition and heritage contribute. You're not against tradition and heritage surely?

If we are just talking generally then it's just down to money and contacts. Money and contacts will buy or get you all sorts of privilege and prestige. So we stop all inheritances, no leaving money or property to your children, it all goes to the state and they have to start again from scratch?

And all children are taken away from their parents age 3 and sent to live in identical barracks, have exactly the same education and so on, just to make sure we have absolute equality of opportunity.

Even then you've still got the handicapped. All children would have to be physically handicapped in some way, lop of an arm or something. You couldn't have the same one for everyone, everyone couldn't be blind for example as society wouldn't be able to function. So it would still just be pot luck who gets what.

Then the blind kid is going to complain that he's less equal than the kid who just lost an arm and so on. You'd have to make the good looking ones ugly, and the tall ones shorter too. Hard work this making everyone equal lark.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Not really specific enough to answer is it? Who are we talking about and what's the definition of privilege and status?

If it means nobility/royalty we have a Royal Family and hereditary peers because they are an inherent part of the nation's culture and identity. It's an intangible but often it's the intangible things that are most important. It's part of social cohesion. Humanity is tribal in nature, that operated on many levels but the nation is a 'super-tribe' as Desmond Morris put it. Makes sense if you view it at that level, at least to me anyway.

You have to have stability first, before you can start achieving anything, and that's what tradition and heritage contribute. You're not against tradition and heritage surely?

If we are just talking generally then it's just down to money and contacts. Money and contacts will buy or get you all sorts of privilege and prestige. So we stop all inheritances, no leaving money or property to your children, it all goes to the state and they have to start again from scratch?

And all children are taken away from their parents age 3 and sent to live in identical barracks, have exactly the same education and so on, just to make sure we have absolute equality of opportunity.

Even then you've still got the handicapped. All children would have to be physically handicapped in some way, lop of an arm or something. You couldn't have the same one for everyone, everyone couldn't be blind for example as society wouldn't be able to function. So it would still just be pot luck who gets what.

Then the blind kid is going to complain that he's less equal than the kid who just lost an arm and so on. You'd have to make the good looking ones ugly, and the tall ones shorter too. Hard work this making everyone equal lark.
    Sorry but I don't think 99% of the population would give a flying frig if the house of lords were abolished, the royal family - well that would upset a few oldies, personally I wish the lot of them and their live reality show would just go away.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Sorry but I don't think 99% of the population would give a flying frig if the house of lords were abolished, the royal family - well that would upset a few oldies, personally I wish the lot of them and their live reality show would just go away.
    House of Lords you probably right but the Royal family, especially The Queen, is still highly popular across all age groups and social classes. Anti-royalists are very much a vocal minority.
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca
    The Queen, is still highly popular across all age groups and social classes. Anti-royalists are very much a vocal minority.
    Ha - not in Scotland or the Republic of Ireland, especially if you're Catholic!

And especially not if you knew what some of them get up to in the dark corridors of Fuckingham [the younger and more vulnerable the better] Peado-Palace....

Marco [a staunchly proud and passionate anti-royalist, for very good reason].
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I wish the lot of them and their live reality show would just go away.
    Indeed, but rather 'be put away' for the heinous crimes they and their ancestors have historically committed against humanity, throughout the centuries. Don't get me started on that one, though!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread